Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Worried More About Leach than I am His Offense

vCash

I'm Worried More About Leach than I am His Offense

I know Leach is a good coach. He's been a good coach for 20 years.

I believe Leach's offense can work in the SEC. He's been too many places and seen to many things for it to have a fatal flaw.

What worries me most is Leach himself. Is he cut out to coach in the SEC from a work ethic and grinder standpoint.

Sure he coached under Mumme in the SEC but he was a young, hungry coach at that point and now he's a rich older guy. Money changes people and the absolute fact is that the SEC has the best coaches and players. It takes more work to be good.

Just this morning, there is a rumor that a coach was 1.5 hours late for a meeting. Not sure if that's true, but, if so, that won't cut it.

Being an hour late for press conferences is representation of your program.

I realize it's a COVID year but it's a COVID year for everyone.

Leach needs to tighten up. He's a great coach, but he won't win here while going through the motions.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Which coach? If its Arnett he was probably late because he was fielding calls from his agent asking him to name his price. If it was any body else, fire em.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathiston View Post
    Which coach? If its Arnett he was probably late because he was fielding calls from his agent asking him to name his price. If it was any body else, fire em.
    That or a back appointment after carrying the team for two weeks.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Leach has always been this way. It's part of why others wouldn't hire him. But he's still been successful.

vCash
    Maybe.
    But counter point: see spurrier and dabo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I believe Leach's offense can work in the SEC. He's been too many places and seen to many things for it to have a fatal flaw.

What worries me most is Leach himself. Is he cut out to coach in the SEC from a work ethic and grinder standpoint.

Sure he coached under Mumme in the SEC but he was a young, hungry coach at that point and now he's a rich older guy. Money changes people and the absolute fact is that the SEC has the best coaches and players. It takes more work to be good.

Just this morning, there is a rumor that a coach was 1.5 hours late for a meeting. Not sure if that's true, but, if so, that won't cut it.

Leach needs to tighten up. He's a great coach, but he won't win here while going through the motions.
    Leach isn't going to start working 80 hour weeks. I hope nobody expected that to change. And it's not a lack of work ethic. Heh does what he thinks is needed and then is done. I guess he could spend another 20 hours each week recruiting.

vCash
    I worry less about your list than I do the unrealistic expectations of fans, in particular the booster set. In the world of instant results, no one wants to allow for the time it takes to make a true philosophy shift. We are doing what Ga Tech did last season - it is that drastic. And no matter what, the change in schemes is so drastic that the first year is going to be tough. Add all the COVID crazy to this year and it makes it even harder. Leach will win here, like he has everywhere. But, we are going to have to adjust much more than Leach.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Supposedly Kiffin is much like Leach in the fact he doesn't put in 100 hours a week and refuses to do so. He has fun and so does Leach.
    Now I'm not saying Kiffin is a great coach, time will tell, but a lot of smart people think he is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Leach isn't going to start working 80 hour weeks. I hope nobody expected that to change. And it's not a lack of work ethic. Heh does what he thinks is needed and then is done. I guess he could spend another 20 hours each week recruiting.
    Well Mullen and crew didn't exactly stress themselves on the recruiting trail and they still were successful. As far as practice there is only so much time you can spend directly with the players so the additional extra time I guess would have to be spent on gameplanning and figuring out and evaluating strengths and weaknesses with your own team. Heck, if Mack Brown can take over at his age at North Carolina and have success then there is no reason why age should be an issue for Leach.

vCash
    Leach is a known partier and enjoys a good time. We knew this when we hired him. But being late to a meeting as a coach, unless it really was done to prove a point is unacceptable. It?s unacceptable for anyone in the program. If that did indeed actually happen

vCash
    Leach is eccentric so this doesn't surprise me. I agree that he should be on time for meetings though.

vCash
    https://www.si.com/college/2020/09/2...ch-kj-costello

There?s an interesting quote in there about SEC coaches working long hours and how Leach doesn?t. I get that Leach has his systems and believes in reps and execution, but if other coaches are putting in 8 more hours a day scouting you, I?m skeptical they won?t figure something out. It?s the nature of the beast down here ? Oregon State?s coaches aren?t putting in 20 hour weeks.

vCash
    I'm surprised at the number of people that thought this team was some loaded team. People can keep saying "this is the most talented team Leach has ever had" but it's not true. This bunch was a train wreck last year. It's very young in spots and is void of talent in others.
    And moving to a totally new offensive identity is a massive undertaking considering what we ran previously.
    Who knows it we're successful. But people screaming to go back to a run based offense because of two bad games are the reason our program struggles to advance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm surprised at the number of people that thought this team was some loaded team. People can keep saying "this is the most talented team Leach has ever had" but it's not true. This bunch was a train wreck last year. It's very young in spots and is void of talent in others.
    And moving to a totally new offensive identity is a massive undertaking considering what we ran previously.
    Who knows it we're successful. But people screaming to go back to a run based offense because of two bad games are the reason our program struggles to advance.
    This, I don't know why folks have trouble understanding this.

vCash
    Agree.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Message board posts aren't why we struggled. That's ridiculous

vCash
    Leach beating LSU is probably the worst thing he could've done to himself and to inflate fans hopes. It's awesome he did it even though LSU has proven to be pretty vanilla. But it completely reset the narrative of MSU for a total of 7 days. That was enough for all the talking heads and large portion of our fanbase to forget everything that has gone on in the offseason and pretend like we were favored to be a contender.

Yeah Ark & KY were important games for us to win this season but recently KY has been a toss up.

I do agree with the fact that we should start giving experience to the younger skill positions this year and get the growing pains and learning curve started.

ETA: I am happy with the defensive play this year compared to what I expected. At least that is a positive so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Leach beating LSU is probably the worst thing he could've done to himself and to inflate fans hopes. It's awesome he did it even though LSU has proven to be pretty vanilla. But it completely reset the narrative of MSU for a total of 7 days. That was enough for all the talking heads and large portion of our fanbase to forget everything that has gone on in the offseason and pretend like we were favored to be a contender.

Yeah Ark & KY were important games for us to win this season but recently KY has been a toss up.

I do agree with the fact that we should start giving experience to the younger skill positions this year and get the growing pains and learning curve started.

ETA: I am happy with the defensive play this year compared to what I expected. At least that is a positive so far.
    When's the last time Kentucky threw a defensive shut out on us? Leach deserves a chance to fix this, but Saturday night is totally unacceptable. Leach had a week knowing exactly what Kentucky was gonna do, and he failed, miserably. New week, do better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Message board posts aren't why we struggled. That's ridiculous
    Fans raising hell and giving up, absolutely have an effect on the program.

vCash
    Fans raising hell and giving up, absolutely have an effect on the program.
    Guess that was why we struggled vs the same defense against Arkansas too. All the hell raising we were giving the team for the LSU performance. Personal responsibility is dead