Thread: New to the game!

vCash

New to the game!

what's up folks, I've been following for some time now and it's time to get some skin in the game. First off, I want to say that what Bert did to us during our coaching search was grade A hilarious. It honestly gave me a lot of comedic relief during a very tumultuous timeframe.

That being said:

these last three weeks feel like I am a 6 year old kid given the opportunity to go to the ice cream stand, super excited about the future, really pumped to have ice cream on a hot sunny day, only to find out that they were only giving out sample sizes of my least favorite ice cream. I have to keep telling myself that a new day will come and the ice cream guy will change. That is where my hope lies.

Looking forward I have to keep reminding myself of where we were under Croom, where Mullen took us, where Moorhead dropped us, and where Leach picked us up.

1. I love Croom, he was a great running backs coach and even better human. But, was a horrible head coach. He took over during a time when we needed ridiculous amounts of discipline pumped back into the program. I firmly believe he did that and set Mullen up for the success Mullen had. Outside of that I think Ellis Johnson was the best thing Croom did here. Croom went 10-30 in conference play.

2. Mullen, I cannot tell you how much this dude grinds my gears. I don't think I will ever know why he always had his foot out the door, we would have built a shrine to him if he wanted it. But, when he left I honestly was glad because I hoped we would find someone that actually wanted to build something here. He brought us out of the depths of the cellar of this conference and put us nicely on the stairwell leading up to the house. I say it this way because we had a loosing record during his time as well 33-39 in conference play with only one winning season. This is much more respectable than Croom, but, still is nowhere near the ballroom where Bama and Georgia are being served Steak dinners, or even the kitchen where Auburn, LSU, and Florida are making that steak dinner. Mullen leaves, now incomes an arrogant, over confident, lying Moorhead.

3. Moorhead comes in and waist the best defense I have even seen state field and I loved Joe Lee Dunn, so much. I honestly feel like if Moorhead's offense had any type of pulse we would have taken Bama and LSU to the wire if not won those games in 2018 beaten Florida and Kentucky. (my opinion) Moorhead from what we can tell and what we have heard instilled a culture in my opinion of thinking all you had to do was walk on the field and the game was won. You didn't have to put the work in the weight room, film room, or on the practice field, at least that is what I saw over the two years he was there. Now I think the Culture was dwindling under Mullen and Moorhead doused gas on that fire. All that being stated Moorhead went 7-9 in conference play.

let's take a look at the facts. since Croom, we have a loosing record of 50-78, our team is the 23rd most talented team in the country, that sounds great except we are the 9th most talented team in the SEC. everything tells us we are middle of the pact to bottom of the pack in this conference currently. If you add in the discipline and effort issues that came alive during Moorhead, this is not a recipe for major success for an incoming coach to thrive in.

4. Incomes Leach, my entire life State has been a power team with good/great defensive effort. Leach likes power running as much as Mullen likes to clock manage well. I don't care of how simplistic an offensive system is, when it is a 180 degree difference than what you have done your entire history there will be growing pains in the absolute best case scenario. You add in the fact that our transfer all world QB doesn't know how to read a defense to save his life, which no one could have predicted, and the lazy/not wanting to work issues that he is having to clean up. What else should we be expecting? At two stops that I think are as good as or worse than state comparably Leach went 47-33 at TTU with 5 winning seasons and 36-36 with 4 winnings seasons at Wazzu. Out of 18 seasons he had a winning record half the time, and went .500 four of his remaining 9 seasons. That's pretty freaking great considering where he was.

If you are still reading, awesome. I state all of this to say, as a fan base we really need to understand were we fall. we are currently at best middle of the pack and I really don't think Leach is doing a bad job. Is he weird? yes. does he have a different coaching philosophy than most everyone else? yes. Is he a winner? absolutely. Our team in three games have shown me that the last two seasons we were mentally soft and we were being coached that way. I don't know what is going on with the locker room stuff, but, I trust that he is going to get it handled and quickly. Would I like to be sitting nicely at 3-0? definitely! Are we looking down the barrel at a bad season record? Yep. Do I think he can get things straitened out this week? I do. I hope he does, because we can beat a good highly racked A&M team and give ourselves a lot of confidence moving forward.

Hail Freaking State

vCash
    The bottom line is that everyone just watched a coach bang his head against a wall for two years while telling us it will work. I am a little gun shy now especially with UM having offensive success and they ran a Mullen type of offense last year.

We shouldn't be shut down or out by a mediocre defense two weeks in a row. The LSU game should have proven that talent was there. This is all coaching and scheming issues the last two weeks. Does Leach do something different?

vCash
    I am right there with you. I somewhat am thinking that he is thinking we would have won both those game by a few touchdowns if we didn't have such horrible QB play. I for one can sympathize with that idea. We easily could have beaten ARky 35-14 if we just didn't turn the ball over. Same could be said for Kentucky game.

If he is thinking that way, I don't believe we see any adjustment from Leach except maybe who starts at QB. I 100% believe it should be Shrader, he gives us the running ability when the pocket breaks down. Or Will to build for the future. I hate it for KJ, but, the dude is shell of himself against LSU.