Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- But But But Leach scored 24 on Auburn in 2013 Edition

vCash

Thumbs up Sunday Morning QB- But But But Leach scored 24 on Auburn in 2013 Edition

1. We suck. Pretty simple and wont be a long one today. Everybody sees what's going on.

2. Nothing is getting solved offensively until we run the ball against a 5 man box. Not a damn thing. You can bitch and moan about KJ. You can call for Rogers to play. You can say "well, thats just Mike Leach". It doesnt matter. Until we run RTGDF against a 5 man box the offense isnt going to improve. Passing dumps to the RB's over and over isn't going to pull people out of the Prevent D. Football is football and throwing the ball 70 times vs a 5 man box is Croom level hardheadedness.

3. 14 runs last night vs a 5 man box for 20 yards. Thats Croom. Leach is very smart and he has to fix this. His offense is not going to get better in the SECuntil he fixes it. He is going to have to get more creative in the run game- not the passing game. He can be Croom and refuse to change- or he can continue to be an innovator and make some adjustments to get better in the run game. We have no play-action/RPO looks for defenses to worry about in the run game. KJ is not going to run unless he absolutely has to. Change has to be made.

4. If Leach isnt going to make any changes to the run game- just play Rogers and get him experience for the future. No need to keep plugging KJ in there to throw picks into 8 man soft coverage. Let Rogers do it.

5. A&M and Bama coming up. Yay. Defenses only get better from here. WR's are going to start getting lit up unless we get a eun threat

6. Defense is playing pretty well so far. The run D remains solid and our last 2 opponents werent able to hurt our back end too much. Thats going to change the next 2 weeks. Arnett= will have to work some magic. A&M punched Fla in the mouth yesterday in the 2nd half with the run game and Fla didnt like it. Will be a good test for us upfront.

7. Like many of you, I'm tired of watching dump down passes to RB's already. The Pirate will change some or he will get run out of the conference. We have a quality SEC RB, we have a pretty good OL. He got his QB he wanted with experience. The WR talent while not great isnt nearly as bad as it was 2-3 years ago. It's not the players or lack of talent. It's Leach. He has to fix it. It's simple yet will be so complicated by many I'm sure.

#HailState
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I don’t mind the RB dump passes if they are the play design so you have the wr blocking. Running it that way get the wr out in space and we could hit some gainers. The problem comes when the rb had no momentum and the lb can run free for the tackle.

Just run it like a toss sweep until players start cheating up on it

vCash
    I'm curious, how has your team's running game been effected by the wider splits?

Why can't our guards get to the 2nd level and block the LBs.

vCash
    Sunday Morning QB— But But But This defense is gonna suck edition
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Please retitle this as Saturday night shit show

vCash
    It's not the players or lack of talent

Disagree.....I think a good bit of it is lack of talent. KH is average at best.....will have a hard time making it in the NFL.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I remember when Leach was hired a lot of people were saying "regardless of the outcomes, at least he will be fun to watch in the SEC"......3 games in....where the **** is all this "fun" we are supposed to be seeing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_Sheen420 View Post
    I remember when Leach was hired a lot of people were saying "regardless of the outcomes, at least he will be fun to watch in the SEC"......3 games in....where the **** is all this "fun" we are supposed to be seeing?
    Agree. This is brutal to watch. I thought the JoMo check with me was as bad as it could get. But 70 checkdowns per game against a prevent D is worse.

vCash
    C34...I’ve always respected your football knowledge, however you have one MAJOR thing wrong this week. Our O line is horrible. They can’t block 3 with 5. If our QB had time to throw it would solve a lot of problems. Wideouts could get further down field to stretch the zone and open more holes in the pass D. This one thing would fix so much.

Also, Something is up with hill. He asks out or is “hurt” every other play. He’s either mentally or physically frail...it’s one of the two. And that’s a major issue.

I don’t like the air raid style. I like imposing our will physically on the other team. However, it is insane to think that if we are going to go the leach route that it will take less than a recruiting cycle or two to get the type player he wants in his system. I actually think that the small shifty guys Mullen always had would be better for this system.

vCash
    Everyone knew Kentucky's defensive game plan from the moment the Arkansas game was over. Despite this, we became the first sec team this year to score no offensive points. Zero offensive points on a team that had allowed 35.5 per game entering game, and we knew their game plan all week. Leach is a wizard

vCash
    I 100% agree with this.

Trevor Lawrence could be our quarterback and he would still be throwing into 8 man coverages because our philosophy attacking a defense that runs prevent all game long is stupid.

We are playing 5 against 8. We take on the risk of a pass to gain 4 yards when they are simply giving js 4 at the LOS.

The scary thing is, we have played 3 of the worst 5 teams in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Everyone knew Kentucky's defensive game plan from the moment the Arkansas game was over. Despite this, we became the first sec team this year to score no offensive points. Zero offensive points on a team that had allowed 35.5 per game entering game, and we knew their game plan all week. Leach is a wizard
    Bingo, the fact that we actually got WORSE on offense after a week to adjust with what we saw against Arkansas, KNOWING we would see the same thing a week later against KY, leaves me with NO hope that anything will change and get better. Running the same thing over and over against the 8 man zone saying 'we just need to execute better' is horse crap.

vCash
    I'm not familiar with every sec team's defense, but I have to assume some aren't big zone defense teams. How hard is it go all zone when it's not your philosophy? Trying to find some teams we might can score on

vCash
    Man, I laughed when I read that. I would love some fun about now.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    C34...I’ve always respected your football knowledge, however you have one MAJOR thing wrong this week. Our O line is horrible. They can’t block 3 with 5. If our QB had time to throw it would solve a lot of problems. Wideouts could get further down field to stretch the zone and open more holes in the pass D. This one thing would fix so much.

Also, Something is up with hill. He asks out or is “hurt” every other play. He’s either mentally or physically frail...it’s one of the two. And that’s a major issue.

I don’t like the air raid style. I like imposing our will physically on the other team. However, it is insane to think that if we are going to go the leach route that it will take less than a recruiting cycle or two to get the type player he wants in his system. I actually think that the small shifty guys Mullen always had would be better for this system.
    The players on the ol aren?t the issue, it?s the scheme. We are playing 3 on 1 on the inside and then 1 on 1 outside. The past two weeks you can tell the dc?s have told the down lineman not to play the run at all and this is putting our tackles in a very bad spot.

Now with that being said its a easy scheme fix. You noticed last night our split bw the guards and center was down to about 18 inches but the split was still wide between the guard and tackles. The adjustment is to drop the splits to 12 to 18 inches across the front and allow the guards to provide help to the tackles on inside moves thus allowing them to be better 1 on 1 on outside moves.

vCash
    How can you say the OL is pretty good" when we can't block 3 with 5, and when we do run we can't get push or get to the LBs? Yes Leach needs more "creativity", but running doesn't work if you need to have 7 blockers to handle 5 men boxes. Just like passing doesn't work if you have our 2017-18 WRs. We need a zone read to eliminate the DE as a number, or an RPO reading a LB and slipping a WR behind him so if he drops into zone we know he's eliminated from the run play and if he holds up there's a gap in the zone.

One thing I think gets missed is how horrible our WRs are at blocking. Many times what should go as a 6-8 yard gain to the RB/WR on a quick pass goes for 1 because the WR failed to block the guy closest. They really are terrible at it.

I agree on Rogers. He looked better than KJ, literally can't play worse, and might be our future. Play him.

Our defense held Arky to 275 yards of O. UGa and Auburn held Arky to 280 and 437 yards respectively. Our defense held Kentucky to 157 yards. Auburn and OM held them to 384 and 559. We gave up 425 to LSU but so far that's their season low by far. WHen will you accept that the D is good? Of course A&M (if Mond is good) and Bama will score a lot. Being a solid/good defense doesn't = you'll never have a bad game vs teams with good Os, it means your well above the average defense, which we are

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's incredibly disheartening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I'm curious, how has your team's running game been effected by the wider splits?

Why can't our guards get to the 2nd level and block the LBs.
    The wider splits have helped our zone run game quite a bit. We get any push at all and we have some seams to get into for yards. But we run the read so our QB factors into the equation whereas KJ does not. We average 7 ypc for the season right now. The wider splits also help us in pass pro because we mix things up- we will be aggressive on some and cut block on others. By doing that we keep DL's guessing and unable to just fly upfield with a speed or bullrush. I also spread the field so that if teams blitz us we can see where its coming from. Between that and our screen game- we rarely get blitzed anymore. On the flip side, Laurel tried to 5 man box us a couple of times Thursday and we had runs of 58 and 25 against that. Let me add also that I have a talented offense even though we start 6 Sophs. My 10th grade TB and WR are likely D-1 kids. We will be alot better next year even tho we average 39 a night right now. (the 20 we put up in Game 1 was in the 1st half- game was called at half after 3rd lightning delay)

Teams are running alot of Tite front against Leach now. DE's line up on the inside shoulders of the OT's along with the nose. That creates a jam on the inside and forces the run to spill wider. That gives LB's more time to get there when it spills like that. Leach needs to change up how he blocks it. One simple thing I do against it is kick the DE's out with my Guards and wrap the OT's inside up on the LB'ers. Center is told to get the Nose turned one way- doesnt matter which. Works well for us vs odd fronts. But we run QB power against odd fronts also. Something Leach will never do.
    Last edited by Coach34; 10-11-2020 at 01:05 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    How can you say the OL is pretty good" when we can't block 3 with 5, and when we do run we can't get push or get to the LBs? Yes Leach needs more "creativity", but running doesn't work if you need to have 7 blockers to handle 5 men boxes. Just like passing doesn't work if you have our 2017-18 WRs. We need a zone read to eliminate the DE as a number, or an RPO reading a LB and slipping a WR behind him so if he drops into zone we know he's eliminated from the run play and if he holds up there's a gap in the zone.

One thing I think gets missed is how horrible our WRs are at blocking. Many times what should go as a 6-8 yard gain to the RB/WR on a quick pass goes for 1 because the WR failed to block the guy closest. They really are terrible at it.
    The same way Anthony Dixon averaged less than 4 ypc for Croom but 5.4 for Mullen. It's how its being done more than who is doing it. I can give you a spoon to dig a hole or I can give you a shovel and make it easier. Leach is giving our guys a spoon.

vCash
    Tbh that's before we found out he wouldn't have a spring to implement the new offense.