Thread: Day After Thoughts

vCash

Day After Thoughts

After taking some time to calm down from the loss last night, here's my thoughts:

1. Costello isn't the answer and he's probably the problem. He's got a dead arm and he throws everything off his back foot. He makes absolutely terrible reads and I think if we would've had Spring Practices then Will Rodgers would've passed him on the depth chart.

2. ADAPT OR DIE. I know it's foolish to think that Leach will change anything and adapt his offense, but if he doesn't then he won't be here by year 4.

3. Zach Arnett might be the best defensive coordinator we've had. What he's been able to do with a below average and undermanned defense has been nothing short of incredible. He has those guys playing with so much confidence. If Leach and the offense would get their s*** together then we'd be 3-0.

4. Our receivers have regressed tremendously since week 1. Mitchell doesn't look like he gives a crap anymore and Payton and Williams can't seem to find the window they need to sit down in. Now some of that problem is the QB, but they've got to know where the holes are when teams drop 8.

5. If we don't see tremendous improvement next week then this thing is gonna go off the rails fast and Vandy might be our only win remaining.

6. It may be time to give Garrett Shrader a look again. There needs to at least be a threat to run from the QB to stop every D from just dropping 8 every time.

vCash
    I don't think we'll see Shrader, but that zone would be gone quickly if we did

vCash
    Only if he could throw the ball worth a shit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Leach wants qbs that are accurate remember? 6 ints last night show we're very accurate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Leach wants qbs that are accurate remember? 6 ints last night show we're very accurate
    our guys definitely throw a very catchable ball

vCash
    I really think we have 2 special players at corner. Emerson and Forbes both have the raw ability to be lock down and play in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    our guys definitely throw a very catchable ball
    Especially so close to either goal line...***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Put Garrett S. as the single back.**

vCash
    Yep, we really didn't need a grad transfer QB this year. We needed a guy (like Rogers or Shrader) that could learn the system this year, get experience on the field, and be ready next year to go full out. Now we are just going to have a green QB again next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Yep, we really didn't need a grad transfer QB this year. We needed a guy (like Rogers or Shrader) that could learn the system this year, get experience on the field, and be ready next year to go full out. Now we are just going to have a green QB again next year.
    I agree. We have been killing ourselves with this bullshit for the last 3 years. Playing a guy that has 1 year left by hell or high water. I could not believe he put Costello back in the game last night.

vCash
    Little early to call Arnett the best we've ever had. It's just game 3 and we haven't played any lights out offenses yet. After game one everyone was ready to build a statue of Leach and KJ.

We're still adjusting. While Leach may have to adapt some things there's no reason his offense shouldn't have worked against Arky & Ky. Wyatt's film study showed there were open receivers against Arky all night long. KJ is not seeing the field well at all.

Last night looked like a real lazy effort by everyone on the offense. I almost got the feeling they didn't even want to be out there last night. Leach may have to adjust some things, but 1st he may need to adjust some attitudes of some offensive players. Some of the apparent laziness could be confusion too tho. Players play a lot slower when thinking too much and/or confused.

Besides attitude, my biggest concern is QB. KJ is very gun shy IMO which is why throws off back foot a lot and floats the ball a lot. He also telegraphs where he's going to throw a lot. He does not throw well on the move. I thought Rogers looked better mobility wise and throwing wise.

vCash
    Id like to see Schrader also, but Leach doesn't seem to like the running QB types. He wants to throw throw throw and I don't think that style will work in the SEC. The best teams in college football can all move the ball on the ground also whether it is having a dual threat QB or a solid running back, you have to be able to do both. Yes Leach has won before but not against the brutal SEC consistently and we haven't even gotten to the tough part of the schedule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    Seriously, you don't exactly have to be Dan Marino if EVERY throw is going to be within 10 yards of the LOS. And that's what it looks like it will be with these 8 man drops.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Id like to see Schrader also, but Leach doesn't seem to like the running QB types. He wants to throw throw throw and I don't think that style will work in the SEC. The best teams in college football can all move the ball on the ground also whether it is having a dual threat QB or a solid running back, you have to be able to do both. Yes Leach has won before but not against the brutal SEC consistently and we haven't even gotten to the tough part of the schedule
    If you had a QB that was a true threat to run it would keep the defense much more honest and make it much easier to throw throw throw. Just having to commit a spy on the QB would get one additional guy out of the coverage box.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    After taking some time to calm down from the loss last night, here's my thoughts:

1. Costello isn't the answer and he's probably the problem. He's got a dead arm and he throws everything off his back foot. He makes absolutely terrible reads and I think if we would've had Spring Practices then Will Rodgers would've passed him on the depth chart.

2. ADAPT OR DIE. I know it's foolish to think that Leach will change anything and adapt his offense, but if he doesn't then he won't be here by year 4.

3. Zach Arnett might be the best defensive coordinator we've had. What he's been able to do with a below average and undermanned defense has been nothing short of incredible. He has those guys playing with so much confidence. If Leach and the offense would get their s*** together then we'd be 3-0.

4. Our receivers have regressed tremendously since week 1. Mitchell doesn't look like he gives a crap anymore and Payton and Williams can't seem to find the window they need to sit down in. Now some of that problem is the QB, but they've got to know where the holes are when teams drop 8.

5. If we don't see tremendous improvement next week then this thing is gonna go off the rails fast and Vandy might be our only win remaining.

6. It may be time to give Garrett Shrader a look again. There needs to at least be a threat to run from the QB to stop every D from just dropping 8 every time.
    1. Yep, true. His throwing mechanics are terrible.

2. True again

3. He is good and he doesn't even have the talent as much as we've had in past. We must not lose recruiting here, been MSU bread and butter.

4. True again.

5. So important to show something. Will lose the entire fanbase if we don't

6. Agree again. We have the pieces to at least do much of what Leach wants to do. Does he want to win or just do his own thing at MSU expense?

7. We're on the same page, can Leach get on the same page with winning in the SEC? We'll know soon. Hope so cause Joe didn't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    KJ is very gun shy IMO which is why throws off back foot a lot and floats the ball a lot.
    This is building off of the infamous slide last week. Last night on the illegal forward pass he had a first down if he would have taken two more strides but instead of doing that and taking a hit, he threw it and brought up 4th down with the penalty. Then, on his last 4th down play, he saw the pressure coming and instead of attempting to side-step it or throw a prayer down the field (which beats a sack on 4th down), he actually started going down before the contact ever got there.