Thread: This is a simple fix.

vCash

This is a simple fix.

The reason we can't run the ball is because our few run plays are obvious at the snap (with no real play action) and our qb is scared to run. Linebackers are able to quickly commit run or pass in time to stop a run for no more than 4 yards. You put fitz in that same offense last night and we win. You add in true play action and we win. We are making it way too easy on defenses by letting them commit 8 to coverage without risk of giving up 8-10 yards per carry consistently. Leach can make these adjustments if he wants. He should have started by putting in Shrader last night - I mean we got the ball 20 times and nothing else was working. It really bothers me that he did not make adjustments. This has Joemo written all over it. If the pirate fails here, few will want to follow him here.

vCash
    Leach also owes our entire fan base an apology for having to watch the last two weeks.

vCash
    Shrader should have been the transition QB. Don't like new coach bringing his guy, backfired with Moorhead, same here. Bad lockeroom fallout too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Shrader should have been the transition QB. Don't like new coach bringing his guy, backfired with Moorhead, same here. Bad lockeroom fallout too.
    You don't like him bringing in Costello? Dude was projected to be a 1st-2nd round draft pick. Kid has the arm talent to make the throws.

Problem is that he's never run this offense. And neither has Schrader. And it stuns me that so many on here think Leach is going to just change his philosophy of almost 25 years and incorporate some other style of offense.

Why do people think he's going to just start changing, especially given he had almost zero time with this team to actually install his offense that he runs?

He's going to need time to adapt. And I agree he will have to adapt. He's going to have to get different players for sure, especially on the OL. He's going to have to develop a more sophisticated run game (doesn't necessarily mean run it more it means run it better). But don't expect that this year.

vCash
    I agree the run game is too predictable. We have to hit the back out of the back field much quicker too. When he is the check down the RB loses all of his head if steam and has no forward momentum. If we hit him quick and on the run its essentially a toss sweep.

And there is no way we can win if our OL can't block 3 damn DLinemen. Most of time there was only one LB too. How in the heck we couldn't run it down there throat playing 5 on 4 I will never know. But Leach has to find a way to make them get out of the defense we were facing and going to face the rest of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    I agree the run game is too predictable. We have to hit the back out of the back field much quicker too. When he is the check down the RB loses all of his head if steam and has no forward momentum. If we hit him quick and on the run its essentially a toss sweep.

And there is no way we can win if our OL can't block 3 damn DLinemen. Most of time there was only one LB too. How in the heck we couldn't run it down there throat playing 5 on 4 I will never know. But Leach has to find a way to make them get out of the defense we were facing and going to face the rest of the year.
    The reason we can't block 3 with 5 is because our 5 don't know which LBs will commit to run once the ball is handed off. Therefore we have the wrong OL peeling to backers and dlineman aren't getting fully blocked on the play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The reason we can't block 3 with 5 is because our 5 don't know which LBs will commit to run once the ball is handed off. Therefore we have the wrong OL peeling to backers and dlineman aren't getting fully blocked on the play.
    Seemed to me coaching should fix that easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Seemed to me coaching should fix that easily.
    Exactly how I feel

vCash
    I pretty much agree with the general assessment here. The air raid will never work in the SEC if Leach can't find a way to make the defense respect the run. Throwing every play against an 8 man zone is suicidal. You can take the consistent two and three yard dump offs which will be there, but eventually the quarterback is going to throw one off target which will get picked off, or they'll get called for holding. And that's assuming the quarterback can be disciplined and take what the defense gives him, and Costello clearly has not. In fact, I think he's a mental basket case right now. So the only way I see out of this is to get your running backs involved with some kind of a run game. I'll leave it to the tactical experts to figure out the best way to do that.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    And I agree with Cowbell. The lack of adjustments in the last two games does indeed have Jomo written all over it.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    You don't like him bringing in Costello? Dude was projected to be a 1st-2nd round draft pick. Kid has the arm talent to make the throws.

Problem is that he's never run this offense. And neither has Schrader. And it stuns me that so many on here think Leach is going to just change his philosophy of almost 25 years and incorporate some other style of offense.

Why do people think he's going to just start changing, especially given he had almost zero time with this team to actually install his offense that he runs?

He's going to need time to adapt. And I agree he will have to adapt. He's going to have to get different players for sure, especially on the OL. He's going to have to develop a more sophisticated run game (doesn't necessarily mean run it more it means run it better). But don't expect that this year.
    NFL will not touch KJ. He would throw 15 int a game in NFL. Too soft on passes, too timid, throws into double coverage, etc. Yes I was hopeful when we got him but had never seem him play. The stars aligned week one but we know the rest of the story. SEC rocked his world, he admitted it. He ain't SEC good, plain and simple, regardless of system. Watch Coral at Olemiss play QB, he is an SEC QB. Sorry I hate to admit it but true.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Also, what I see, is one of the DT gets wide enough to where that's a one on one situation. 4 blocking 2 and 1 blocking one. If he's a speed guy, he'll win a fair share of those.