Thread: Answer this...

vCash

Answer this...

Is there zero ability to throw a pass beyond 7-8 yards against a zone defense? Because we have totally given up on anything deep and are relying solely on short passes. When you combine the lack of going deep, with our own self induced one dimension offense since we wouldnt run the ball if they rushed 1, much less 3....you end up with 8 guys stuffing a 10-15 yard space and there is nowhere to throw. You have got to make them respect both the deep ball and the run game, or else you're beat. Leach is allowing the defense to totally dictate what we run. I'm no math expert, but even with patience, three straight plays of 2-3 yards is still leading to a punt.

Gotta run it some, and gotta go with a new QB from here on out, bc KJ ain't it. And if we can't develop some deeper throws, we might as well forfeit and start shopping for coaches bc this has no chance of working if we think 75 3 yard passes per game is the solution.

This is why no SEC team has hired Leach. And Cohen should be sweating his ass off right now.

Arnett was a homerun hire, he deserves Leach's paycheck for what he's done with the bunch he inherited. Once again though, it's all going to waste. Who would have guessed we'd have an offense issue while the D would be holding their own? Only State.

vCash
    Agree on most points. From what I've seen thus far, you HAVE to have the right qb to make this offense work with any real degree of success. Obviously if you don't have the right guy, this is what can happen, but this is still unusual in most game scenarios. If you don't have the right guy in most cases, you probably have successful drives, but there will be turnovers to go along. I think there is something going on, maybe trust issues between players and KJ at the very least, but you're right, he has to come out. I'd sit him next game, before I made any other moves if I'm coach. If we have another disaster next week with a different qb, then we should know something further.

vCash
    http://smartfootball.com/passing/att....yaAtXbPc.dpbs

Todd4State's note- I'm calling Cover-8 "Prevent" at least I think the goals are basically the same.

Prevent
    The Prevent is a defensive scheme designed to force the offense to use time to score. It protects against the quick scores, while allowing the offense to pick up chuncks of yardages. The QB must be descipline when facing the Prevent by taking the easy yardage. At the high school and collegiate level, attack the middle of the prevent because the clock stops to move the chains for first downs. The defense linemen will use outside rush techniques to keep the QB in the pocket. The QB must be patient throwing in the underneath zones to recievers on the run.

– Strengths

Deep zones, four defenders deep
    can get under deep outs and curls
    can keep the QB in the pocket with an outside rush
    defensive backs can fly to the ball when it is thrown deep
    protect the boundary
    – Weaknesses

Inside run – draws
    backs on delays to middle
    middle hook zones
    quick routes on time
    in the undercover seams
    – How to attack it

Horizontally stretch the pass zones
    deep crossing routes
    underneath at twelve yards or less with stops, flats and outs on time
    empty sets
    draws
    backs on delays
    get the ball to speed underneath

Todd4State's comment- it looks like Leach has things built in to beat it. QB has to attack it properly. We also may lack the speed underneath to do a ton of damage to it. Which is why I'd like to see Tulu moved to slot WR. Mesh and and Y-Cross should stretch the defense horizontally.

vCash
    In person, you can see more than on TV. What I saw tonight was that our QB tended to stare down his intended receiver and then check down to a RB.

So, here is what the Wildcat defenders did: They followed the QB's eyes and covered who he wanted. As soon as he looked away, they generally abandoned all other notions and made a beeline for our RBs. That's why they were always there shortly after the catches. It is because they were already headed as unit right at the Bulldogs underneath men well before any ball was released in their general direction.

Kentucky had us figured out. Until something changes we will see the same results on offense 7, and ahem...only 7, more times this season, because we are beating no one but Vandy, barring 2 defensive scores or something. I ca hear Croom now thinking our problem is lack of defensive TDs.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    In person, you can see more than on TV. What I saw tonight was that our QB tended to stare down his intended receiver and then check down to a RB.

So, here is what the Wildcat defenders did: They followed the QB's eyes and covered who he wanted. As soon as he looked away, they generally abandoned all other notions and made a beeline for our RBs. That's why they were always there shortly after the catches. It is because they were already headed as unit right at the Bulldogs underneath men well before any ball was released in their general direction.

Kentucky had us figured out. Until something changes we will see the same results on offense 7, and ahem...only 7, more times this season, because we are beating no one but Vandy, barring 2 defensive scores or something. I ca hear Croom now thinking our problem is lack of defensive TDs.
    That makes sense because like I said I feel like he doesn't understand the offense completely. It's like he makes up his mind who he is going to throw to pre-snap and doesn't go through his progressions. Leach also mentioned that his eyes weren't where they were supposed to be and that's probably what he was talking about.

vCash
    Why do we suck ... Simple, our head coach does not realize where he is coaching yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Why do we suck ... Simple, our head coach does not realize where he is coaching yet.
    PKA gets it !!!

vCash
    If our O line could block 3 rushers then the QB could stand back there and pick apart the defense. This offense would look completely different if that one thing were changed.

Also, Costello has obviously not adjusted the speed of the defenses and as a result he decides on his target pre snap and doesn?t really adjust much. The pick on the wideout screen being a good example. Forget the guy who made the pick...the receiver was nowhere near open to make a catch of the ball even made it to him.

vCash
    I really don't know why we didn't take the deeper comebacks on the sideline. If they are backing off that much, it seems to me that play would be there all day. Needs to be timed up well and our timing and sync just looks way off though. Costello is shell shocked and has zero confidence. His passes showed that right from the start. Got to get a little more creative in the run game and pass to the RB as the first option should make them have to walk up a defender or two and help get rid the congestion to create better throwing opportunities.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Shoeless joe is right. The weakness of dropping 8 is the QB should have all day and someone will find a hole. Unfortunately for us, their 3 DL whipped our 5 OL often.

vCash
    There are open receivers.. the first issue is we can?t block 3 with 5. If we can?t fix that, Pat Mahomes couldn?t succeed with this team.

vCash
    It definitely starts up front. We should be able to protect all day or run down their throat against that D. We did neither. OL should be embarrassed.