Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Eddie Van Halen

vCash

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Died today at 65 from cancer. Got to see them in Tupelo on the Balance tour. Favorite band of all time. Just when you think 2020 can't suck anymore, it just gets worse.

vCash
    DAMN!

vCash
    Dang! This year has absolutely been the worst! RIP EVH!

vCash
    FU 2020. First Neil Peart, now Eddie.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    2020 is now officially the worst year ever.
    80s Van Halen shows in the Coliseum in Jackson were spectacles that I will never forget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    2020 is now officially the worst year ever.
    80s Van Halen shows in the Coliseum in Jackson were spectacles that I will never forget.
    My first concert at 15 was the 5150 tour in Memphis.

vCash
    I met Eddie a couple of times at the NAMM Show, super nice guy. This year truly has been terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    My first concert at 15 was the 5150 tour in Memphis.
    In 82 one of my friends mom dropped four of us aged 13 and 14 off at the coliseum to see VH and picked us up afterwards. First time I smelled weed. And I smelled a lot of it.

vCash
    Got to see the original Van Halen back in the day and Van Hagar later... boy this sucks!

ETA... EVH was diagnosed with tongue cancer many years back. Blamed it on the metal picks he used and kept smoking. Man, the power of addiction.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 10-06-2020 at 03:43 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    In 82 one of my friends mom dropped four of us aged 13 and 14 off at the coliseum to see VH and picked us up afterwards. First time I smelled weed. And I smelled a lot of it.
    Dude, I was 15 from Grenada w/ my best bud Keith. My mom and dad dropped us off and went shopping. The girls walking around with the 80's hair wearing hardly anything was almost too much for me. I really wanted to move to Memphis at that point.

vCash
    Dude, I was 15 from Grenada w/ my best bud Keith. My mom and dad dropped us off and went shopping. The girls walking around with the 80's hair wearing hardly anything was almost too much for me. I really wanted to move to Memphis at that point.
    Cool memories, but LC Dawg is talking 1982 and Diver Down... that was my first time seeing VH too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Cool memories, but LC Dawg is talking 1982 and Diver Down... that was my first time seeing VH too!
    Yeah...I was 11.

vCash
    Yeah...I was 11.
    Ha! I was 14... what the hell were my parents thinking!

vCash
    Dam. Well lets bring up on old Topic: Van Halen of Van HAGAR? Couldn't stand DLR and was a big Van Hagar fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Dam. Well lets bring up on old Topic: Van Halen of Van HAGAR? Couldn't stand DLR and was a big Van Hagar fan.
    They both bring their own style to the band. Love 'em both, tbh.

I remember there was a show on VH1 years ago chronicling DLR and Sammy's co-tour they were doing. This is probably the mid to late 90's (back when VH1 gave a shit about music and not reality TV). There were so many scenes of Sammy bitching about DLR, lol. Their personalities were like oil and water. I rember there was a scene with David, where he said "Sammy throws a party; I AM the party", lol. That quote has always stuck with me.

vCash
    Also, one of my favorite scenes, in one of my favorite movies, featuring EVH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    I loved them both. But in hindsight I really rooted for Van Hagar to succeed, just to spite DLR for leaving the band. In all honesty, given an ultimatum of which period that I would choose, I would take the original VH easily.

vCash
    The band that Eddie and Alex formed with Michael Anthony and Sammy Hagar was good but Van Halen is Dave and Dave only.

vCash
    The saddest part about the whole Sammy/Dave debate is that it kept us from having more Van Halen. I really hate that I haven't had new Van Halen since 1995 (and no, VHIII doesn't count - that band had no joy).

vCash
    I'm going with the original, never was a big fan of sammie, although he did and album with Neal Schon That was crazy good. I remember the day I found out David Lee Roth was leaving Van Halen. I was standing in line at a Citibank in Long Beach California when I saw it come across the news ticker in the bank. Ah the days before the internet!