Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steve Spurrier Talks About Air Raid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Arkansas obviously outplayed us, and other teams might do so as well. But I do not understand why some people are acting like zone defense was just invented Saturday.
    The zone defense wasn't just invented but it was the first time for KJ to deal with something like that. The issue wasn''t that Leach hadn't seen it before, the issue was KJ hadn't seen it or had to make decisions against it in real time before. Its one thing to tell someone how to operate against that defense but a whole other thing to actually do it. Decision making is apparently a whole lot easier with this offense when everything is man. Folks still forget just how little time Leach has had to get this team ready to run this scheme and run it against various defensive looks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What is this weird fascination with MSU fans wanting the QB to run?

I guess this is going to be Leach's version of "why don't we run QB sneaks under center?"

I don't understand our fans.
    I don't have to have our QB run. When we have a 3rd down conversion to make if he chooses to throw it fine, but IF he decides to run it he better run it with the intention to get the first down with his best effort. If he is just going to slide, or fall down like on the last 3rd down, and come up short without giving it his all then just THROW the dang ball. Choosing to run and then giving it a half-assed effort is just not acceptable, at least not on 3rd or 4th down. That is the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What is this weird fascination with MSU fans wanting the QB to run?

I guess this is going to be Leach's version of "why don't we run QB sneaks under center?"

I don't understand our fans.
    To be honest, for me and me only, it's way harder to defend a team that has a running qb. And I don't mean a guy who can run scrabbling. I mean an option threat. Have to defend all 11 Guys. With that said, that's not what leach does never has never will. I'll accept what he wants to do until he shows it won't work. He's a smart guy. Can he win a championship here? I don't know. Odds are against him and the guy who runs offense like I "prefer" too. But I'm not going to sit here and waste my time thinking he's going to change cause he's not. So I'm agreeing w your post...

vCash
    We lost to a shitty AR team. Got out coached and out played. You guys can keep trying to make excuses for losing to a terrible team, but it's still going to be a bad loss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    To be honest, for me and me only, it's way harder to defend a team that has a running qb. And I don't mean a guy who can run scrabbling. I mean an option threat. Have to defend all 11 Guys. With that said, that's not what leach does never has never will. I'll accept what he wants to do until he shows it won't work. He's a smart guy. Can he win a championship here? I don't know. Odds are against him and the guy who runs offense like I "prefer" too. But I'm not going to sit here and waste my time thinking he's going to change cause he's not. So I'm agreeing w your post...
    I'm not all that concerned with a championship. At this point if he wins 8-10 consistently and beats people he should like Dan while occasionally upsetting people like LSU this year like Jackie did and doesn't put an embarrassing product on the field like Joe did- I'll be more than good with that. If we happen to win a championship in the process- that's awesome. I'd honestly be happy with a Sugar Bowl win. If nothing else the attention MSU has gotten this year for football has been a really nice surprise to me. We could really take off nationally once Leach gets his program completely established.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I don't have to have our QB run. When we have a 3rd down conversion to make if he chooses to throw it fine, but IF he decides to run it he better run it with the intention to get the first down with his best effort. If he is just going to slide, or fall down like on the last 3rd down, and come up short without giving it his all then just THROW the dang ball. Choosing to run and then giving it a half-assed effort is just not acceptable, at least not on 3rd or 4th down. That is the issue.
    Good point.

vCash
    deleted because why not
    Last edited by PCHSDawg; 10-07-2020 at 01:42 AM.

vCash
    Interesting, i don't recall Spurrier ever having a big bruising back. I believe he did have one RB get drafted and play in the nfl but that was one over a long coaching career at Florida.

Anyways.... Wyatts film study is good. It mostly shows the bad. However it is evidence, Arkansas was well prepared on defense and executed their plan well. We didn't execute well. Looks to me our QB held the ball to long. Or the timing of the routes were off. Regardless we didn't execute well. Leach has to get that fixed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We lost to a shitty AR team. Got out coached and out played. You guys can keep trying to make excuses for losing to a terrible team, but it's still going to be a bad loss.
    I don't think we got out coached at all.

Guys were open
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Interesting, i don't recall Spurrier ever having a big bruising back. I believe he did have one RB get drafted and play in the nfl but that was one over a long coaching career at Florida.
    He had Eric Rhett rush for 1109 yards in '91 and 1289 yards in '93; and Fred Taylor rushed for 1292 in '97 (and then became the best player in Jags history). Outside of that he usually had 1 back around 700-800 yards or 2 around 500-600. UF really hasn't had a truly dominating RB since Emmett.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Yeah, Taylor was who I was referring to. I couldn't remember if Rhett was around when Spurrier arrived. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Guys were open
    Being prepared goes back to coaching. Costello was indecisive and late with throws. Also, as typical vs Arkansas, State didn't look focused. Again coaching.

Arkansas defense was extremely prepared and focused as evident by their execution. They looked like a team that has ran that defense for years. Odom did a great job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Guys were open
    After watching Wyatt's film study, yes there were some plays that could have been made but unless you are willing to dink and dunk all night its pretty much a mess out there to find an open throwing window with 5 in the pattern and 8 defenders in a zone. Not a lot of open space in the secondary to work with that I saw. I encourage all to watch Wyatt's film study to see how difficult it was for KJ to find an open throwing lane for WRs in the pattern. Seems to me you really have to be able to successfully run the ball a good bit to beat that defense and we were unable to do that. Would seem to me if you really had a QB truly willing to run he could gain 7 to 8 yards on that style defense at any time.

vCash
    After watching Wyatt's film study, yes there were some plays that could have been made but unless you are willing to dink and dunk all night its pretty much a mess out there to find an open throwing window with 5 in the pattern and 8 defenders in a zone. Not a lot of open space in the secondary to work with that I saw. I encourage all to watch Wyatt's film study to see how difficult it was for KJ to find an open throwing lane for WRs in the pattern. Seems to me you really have to be able to successfully run the ball a good bit to beat that defense and we were unable to do that. Would seem to me if you really had a QB truly willing to run he could gain 7 to 8 yards on that style defense at any time.
    That's why my theory is losing Kylin was a huge kick in the nuts for the game plan. If Kylin had been able to run the ball effectively we would have seen that 8 man zone clear some. We then would have had larger windows for KJ to hit receivers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    That's why my theory is losing Kylin was a huge kick in the nuts for the game plan. If Kylin had been able to run the ball effectively we would have seen that 8 man zone clear some. We then would have had larger windows for KJ to hit receivers.
    I be misremembering but I believe we really got rolling once Kylin got his long TD against LSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This! I watched a replay of wsu vs cal from 2014 last night. Cal rushed 3 dropped 8 all night. Connor Holliday threw for over 500 and they put up 59 points. Difference was the decision making by Holliday. He knew where the windows were in the zone and he exploited them. We'll see if KJ can learn it.
    Difference was he was playing a Cal defense instead of an SEC defense

Repeat after me- "SEC speed is not like other conferences....SEC speed is not like other conferences"
    Last edited by Coach34; 10-07-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    This is the correct answer. People wondered if UPig would win a game this season- and they beat us at home. Kentucky's 3 man front will be better than theirs I assure you. We werent caught off guard or flat-footed- we knew they would do that. We were surprised we struggled to run the ball and had trouble beating the zone.

Outplayed/Outcoached. Wont be the last time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    This is the correct answer. People wondered if UPig would win a game this season- and they beat us at home. Kentucky's 3 man front will be better than theirs I assure you. We werent caught off guard or flat-footed- we knew they would do that. We were surprised we struggled to run the ball and had trouble beating the zone.

Outplayed/Outcoached. Wont be the last time.
    Is there a reason you haven't commented on the thread talking about how much better our defense has been compared to expectations, especially yours, so far this season?.........

Once again, you search out the threads where you can s**t on the team and focus solely on them but won't go comment on a thread where you have been just absolutely terribly wrong so far this season. Consider me shocked....
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Interesting, i don't recall Spurrier ever having a big bruising back. I believe he did have one RB get drafted and play in the nfl but that was one over a long coaching career at Florida
    RB draft picks under Spurrier:

Dexter McNabb
    Erick Rhett
    Fred Taylor (1st round)
    Terry Jackson

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Difference was he was playing a Cal defense instead of an SEC defense

Repeat after me- "SEC speed is not like other conferences....SEC speed is not like other conferences"
    In the last 10 NFL drafts, Cal has had 14 defensive players selected and Arkansas has had 12 defensive players drafted. Just because Arkansas wears an SEC patch on their uniforms does not mean they are more talented or faster than Cal.