Thread: It's Really Unreal How Terrible Costello Was Last Night

vCash

It's Really Unreal How Terrible Costello Was Last Night

I really like the direction we are headed under Leach. I think we look light years better coached, organized, and we generally play hard thus far. Additionally, I think the offense works and there were a ton of missed open WRs last night that will be found as we get more in tune with this offense.

With all that said, Costello absolutely sucked and didn't give the effort that is expected when you wear the maroon and white. He was careless, played like someone that has never taken a college snap before, and, lastly and most importantly, did not put himself on the line for his team when his team needed him most.

I for one think KJ has 1st round ability, but, after what I saw last night, unless he gets some dawg in him, takes care of the ball better, & prepares at a higher level, he doesn't have a chance in Hell of actually being a good NFL player. He'd be a terrible pick for anyone that take him at this point.

That being said, I believe he'll learn from this and be a better player for it. His team needs better than what they got last night.

I'm sure nobody realizes this more than KJ.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    He definitely had a terrible game, both throwing and decision making. Regarding the first down he didn't get, he went head first and I thought he got the first down. The refs obviously didn't mark it that way. I never got to see a replay though so I might have a different opinion if I had.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    I mean, I mostly agree but I don't think I agree that it was a lack of effort. He made the decisions he made as a player I'm sure with the intent of those decisions being what was best for the team to win even if they were ultimately the wrong ones. But it's simply that- it's a poor decision. Not a result of poor effort. I think that speaks more to his inexperience in the system. And as far as the checkdowns go- if Hill is the checkdown I think KJ would have been a lot more likely to go there sooner.

He just has to make better decisions within the system because the plays were there.

Right now as it is- if I am a NFL scout he looks like a NFL back-up guy to me. The decision making is questionable at this point in a very simple system. If he improves over the course of the last 8 games and I think he will do that because his issues are correctable he could get back in the discussion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I mean, I mostly agree but I don't think I agree that it was a lack of effort. He made the decisions he made as a player I'm sure with the intent of those decisions being what was best for the team to win even if they were ultimately the wrong ones. But it's simply that- it's a poor decision. Not a result of poor effort. I think that speaks more to his inexperience in the system. And as far as the checkdowns go- if Hill is the checkdown I think KJ would have been a lot more likely to go there sooner.

He just has to make better decisions within the system because the plays were there.

Right now as it is- if I am a NFL scout he looks like a NFL back-up guy to me. The decision making is questionable at this point in a very simple system. If he improves over the course of the last 8 games and I think he will do that because his issues are correctable he could get back in the discussion.
    He's got starter ability for sure. The decision making is the question, but, due to him being in a new offense with no Spring practice, we'll likely need to see how he does has the season progresses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He's got starter ability for sure. The decision making is the question, but, due to him being in a new offense with no Spring practice, we'll likely need to see how he does has the season progresses.
    Agree for sure. The next 8-9 games will tell the tale.

vCash
    He launched himself into the the first couple rounds last week and pulled himself back out this week. It was bad.

vCash
    He wasn't special at Stanford. He was pretty good. This a whole new system for him too. I never looked at him more than a placeholder to let us tread water this year, but obviously last week shattered everyone's expectations. The not trying to pick up yards with his feet when we needed it was kind of sad but it is what it is. Hopefully our next QBs will be good passers and have some dawg in them too.

vCash
    His decision making wasn't about our system, it was bad judgements and reads. NFL QB don't last long making bad reads and mistakes.

Btw, OM QB is the most athletic and maybe has best accuracy or maybe second best behind Bama QB. Those two along with Trash are the best three so far!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    His decision making wasn't about our system, it was bad judgements and reads. NFL QB don't last long making bad reads and mistakes.

Btw, OM QB is the most athletic and maybe has best accuracy or maybe second best behind Bama QB. Those two along with Trash are the best three so far!
    Corral has been lights out thus far. I'm hoping Bama can find his weakness.

Watching Corral, it's really unbelievable that people though Plumlee would beat him out

I think a real question that has to be asked is: if Corral keeps playing like this, he's going to be a top 2 round pick in the NFL draft. Does he stay for another year?

he doesn't seem like the school type
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 10-05-2020 at 08:03 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post

You can't praise the Bama QB. He gets to stand there and throw without worrying about a pass rush. Any decent QB can do that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    You can't praise the Bama QB. He gets to stand there and throw without worrying about a pass rush. Any decent QB can do that.
    LOL, KJ didn't.....so. Jones has a nice touch, he is perfect for Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    You forgot to add he also has 2 first round WRs.

Agree, you can't evaluate Alabama QBs. I'd never take one in the NFL draft because there's no way I could be comfortable with what their limitations are

vCash
    If KJ has another 2-3 TO game Saturday, UK will b***h slap us. They're going to run, run, run, and run some more to try and keep the ball. So when we have the ball, KJ needs to value the damn thing and quit making reckless BS throws.

If KJ fixes the mental mistakes (because I really don't think the coverages had him confused, I think he thought too highly of his Week 1 performance), then we can take care of business. But we need Kylin playing Saturday so that those check downs go for 7-8 yards, not 2-3 yards. And when we do run it, he's breaking some of those tackles that the freshmen RB's just aren't right now which is expected.

If he's a legit NFL talent and future draft pick, then he ought to be able to watch that sh*tty film from Saturday, let it fuel him, and fix that s**t real fast because that was just carelessness with the ball. That zone they ran can be beat really easily but he's gonna have to put his ego aside and take what is WIDE ASS OPEN.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Costello got impatient Saturday night and tried to force passes that in no way should've been thrown. One example was the INT right before halftime where he threw it into triple coverage. He's got to learn to take the dump pass when the defense is putting 8 in zone coverage. Losing Hill also took away the best player on offense. Hill would've turned some of those short passes into big gains. Leach's offense requires a patient quarterback. You can get 4-5 yards every play because the D has to drop so many in coverage. It's almost unstoppable IF run correctly. Costello lost his patience and tried to go for the big throws which cost us the game.

vCash
    Off topic some, but there really should be an influx of qb talent in the state as long as leach and kiffin are here. Everyone gives leach his due, and it's deserved. Not as many give kiffin credit. Tua was already great, but kiffin did a great job with Blake sims and Coker at Bama. He's now helping corral reach his potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Waves View Post
    Costello got impatient Saturday night and tried to force passes that in no way should've been thrown. One example was the INT right before halftime where he threw it into triple coverage. He's got to learn to take the dump pass when the defense is putting 8 in zone coverage. Losing Hill also took away the best player on offense. Hill would've turned some of those short passes into big gains. Leach's offense requires a patient quarterback. You can get 4-5 yards every play because the D has to drop so many in coverage. It's almost unstoppable IF run correctly. Costello lost his patience and tried to go for the big throws which cost us the game.
    This.

Costello had Cam Gardner wide ass open on the 5 yd line but he throws to Mitchell in the back of the end zone in triple coverage. He's lucky that was not another turnover. He tried to do too much. He was trying force it when patience was the key and taking the free 5 yards a play should have been the given. And I'm sure Leach and the offense will have something ready for UK to take that free 5 yards every play if they rush 3, drop 8. We were doing it in the second half vs Ark but Costello got greedy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Off topic some, but there really should be an influx of qb talent in the state as long as leach and kiffin are here. Everyone gives leach his due, and it's deserved. Not as many give kiffin credit. Tua was already great, but kiffin did a great job with Blake sims and Coker at Bama. He's now helping corral reach his potential.
    Absolutely. Corral is balling out.

I hope he goes pro after this year

vCash
    When I talk about Sec Qb’s I ain’t talking bout NFL Potential. Small % of any athlete at any sport making it to the show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Negative Waves View Post
    Hell, by the time the ball got in the vicinity of the receiver, it was quintuple coverage.