Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's the reality of our team

vCash

Here's the reality of our team

Last night was just a perfect storm more than anything else. Like many upsets.

If stopping this system means rushing three and dropping eight, hoping that our QB makes the wrong reads and forcing the ball into coverage even when reads are open and knocking out Kylin we're going to win a lot of games. Washington did the rush three strategy but they also had a dominant D-line and we're not going to see that a lot. Really didn't last night either- it's not like there was a ton of pressure on KJ or anything like that.

Yes, Leach will adapt- but it won't be running the QB or a bunch of zone read plays. It will be adapting by making KJ either make the right reads or sit. No reason to change our identity and start installing things when the plays are there to be made with what is already there.

I thought Marks and Johnson looked OK- they'll be good but they're still adapting to the SEC. We've got to get Shavers, Osirus, Payton, and Austin Williams more involved than we did.

The defense looks better than most expected and that's a good thing. No one will mistake them for 1999 or 2018 but they won't be mistaken for 2003 or 2016 either. They play hard and just have to clean up the busts a little bit in the secondary.

ST has been very good aside from Tucker Day struggling and Walley muffing the punt. Walley will be a good player for us- it wasn't that long ago that Osirus was dropping a key pass against Florida. We have to build our team better so that we don't have to rely on freshmen as much.

vCash
    Marks and Johnson are studs.

vCash
    They are going to be good. They're just young right now. I remember us shutting down Leonard Fournette at the same stage of development in 2014. I'm not saying that they are Fournette caliber- just that they will get better.

vCash
    We just faced one of the worst defensive fronts we will see all season. If we can't handle it (we didn't) we won't handle many fronts in this conference. SEC defensive coordinators love the idea of a team throwing twenty passes a drive. They know they'll beat that and we won't get many series if we are successful with really long drives. I'll give you we are still early in the new program, but he's going to have to make changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We just faced one of the worst defensive fronts we will see all season. If we can't handle it (we didn't) we won't handle many fronts in this conference. SEC defensive coordinators love the idea of a team throwing twenty passes a drive. They know they'll beat that and we won't get many series if we are successful with really long drives. I'll give you we are still early in the new program, but he's going to have to make changes.
    2 games into Leach's tenure and fans are demanding changes. LOL

vCash
    He's not going to change what he does. Just isn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Oh, I know

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I'm not expecting him to change so much as he needs to understand that he'll need some new wrinkles when teams throw things like an 8 man zone at him. It concerns me that he's seen this before from Washington and still hasn't found a way to counter it. It's very early though, and there's no doubt this offense needs more time. Leach said before the LSU game that it was a work in progress. But if he can't figure out Arky's defense, he's going to see a lot more of it.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Our offense had plenty of yards and first downs. The defense played well. The turnovers killed us.

Their front rarely got pressure. We will get better. We will be ok. Their D is a lot better than they are credited for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    I'm not expecting him to change so much as he needs to understand that he'll need some new wrinkles when teams throw things like an 8 man zone at him. It concerns me that he's seen this before from Washington and still hasn't found a way to counter it. It's very early though, and there's no doubt this offense needs more time. Leach said before the LSU game that it was a work in progress. But if he can't figure out Arky's defense, he's going to see a lot more of it.
    Washington didn't just win because they played 8 guys in coverage. They were able to get pressure with three. And that's key because I don't think we lost because Arkansas got a lot of pressure. We lost because we forced the ball into coverage and didn't hit the checkdowns. If we hit the checkdowns we score more and it has to be respected- even moreso when Kylin is the checkdown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    2 games into Leach's tenure and fans are demanding changes. LOL
    Cooter has a point ... the entire world knew that our only running play is a draw - and that did nothing to pull the LB's up closer. I was hoping Leach would put Schrader in on a couple third downs - I think we are going to miss that element of the QB taking off for a 3rd down conversion
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Our O Line has to be more aggressive. Way to soft, looks slow also to me.

vCash
    It's going to be a Jekyll and Hyde type of season. Just get ready. A lot of learning. Good thing our defense has been there but I imagine they are going to have their bumps in the road too so just get ready. Just remember what everyone says before the LSU game about giving the team time to make mistakes and learn. Look at Leach first seasons at his other stops. We can't expect to have everything down perfectly. With the way everything went down, we should have expected bumps in the road. I think the game this week will give us more of an idea of how the season will go in ways of improving each game/not making the same mistakes.

vCash
    Our O-line played fine. KJ was in the box 6-7 seconds with no pressure and they only allowed one sack. We got beat because of KJ. He was a 14 point swing by himself. That doesn’t include his INT’s on Arks side of the field. He was terrible and costs us the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Our O-line played fine. KJ was in the box 6-7 seconds with no pressure and they only allowed one sack. We got beat because of KJ. He was a 14 point swing by himself. That doesn’t include his INT’s on Arks side of the field. He was terrible and costs us the game.
    Yeah he had plenty of time but seemed hesitant a lot, almost like he didn't understand what he was looking at, he's gotta clean it up or we're gonna have a long season. I believe he'll get it together though. Those 4 empty trips on arkys side of the field(2 in the red zone) and the pick 6 were the difference in the game.

vCash
    I think Leach can win 7 games a year in a normal schedule. But I can't watch a damn offense that relies on 3 to 5 yard passes and 10 min drives. That boring as hell just like pounding the ball every play. It's really no different except the opportunity for errors is higher.
    Lose to KY this week and I've lost interest in this season. Losing to bottom feeding SEC teams isn't acceptable even in year one. We've got enough talent to beat those teams.

vCash
    That worst rush defense did a pretty good job against Georgia's RBs

vCash
    I think Leach can win 7 games a year in a normal schedule. But I can't watch a damn offense that relies on 3 to 5 yard passes and 10 min drives. That boring as hell just like pounding the ball every play. It's really no different except the opportunity for errors is higher.
    Lose to KY this week and I've lost interest in this season. Losing to bottom feeding SEC teams isn't acceptable even in year one. We've got enough talent to beat those teams.
    We stop UK's rush and we'll win. Long, sustaining drives may work out for us against them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    This. Had Leach put in any other Qb on the roster we win that game. They dared us to run the ball via handoff or Qb improvising and he still wouldn't do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Cooter has a point ... the entire world knew that our only running play is a draw - and that did nothing to pull the LB's up closer. I was hoping Leach would put Schrader in on a couple third downs - I think we are going to miss that element of the QB taking off for a 3rd down conversion
    No doubt, but it's hard to make a case for adjustments when your #1 RB gets knocked out of the game after one 7 yd run.