Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Bacon Snaps 20 Game Losing Streak Edition

vCash

Sunday Morning QB- Bacon Snaps 20 Game Losing Streak Edition

1. I'd like to be the first to welcome many of you back to reality, but our team and your OM friends have already done that for most of you.

2. When I talked repeatedly about the Leach experiment and if it would work in the SEC, I wasnt just pulling a statement out of my ass. This is the best league in America with the best athletes. Great coaches as well. People that get open in the Pac 12 and Big Ten dont get as open in the SEC. Same with the Big 12. We have now seen 2 extremes vs Leach- M2M Blitz constantly and Rush 3 drop 8 zone. Coaches adjust. Coaches copycat others. Word spreads quickly today.

3. UPig's rush 3 drop 8 plan was copycatted from Washington. Thats the way they played against Leach every year after he beat them in his 1st year in Pullman. After Washington switched to the Rush 3 Drop 8 style against Leach- he never scored 20 against them again. 17, 13, 10, 14, 15, 13 the last 6 games. We are about to see a whole lot of it the rest of this season from teams that have better defenses than the Pigs. All UPig did all night was move their front from playing the ends wide to sliding them inside into a Tite front (404). Thats it. It wasnt rocket surgery- it was "I dare you to throw it 60 times tonight". Well, we did.

4. Hill getting hurt obviously played a major factor. He took a shot to the head and then landed hard on his head. We got away with the fumble there. It looked like he may have even been knocked out for a second. I'm sure he has to go thru concussion protocol but he didnt look bad when they showed him in the 2nd half. Not having him running the ball vs that D certainly helped UPig continue to stay in it. The other guys played ok and made some good cuts- but they arent Hill. Is Witherspoon still on the roster? He looked good for a freshman last year. Amazing he cant even get a carry this year

5. I was surprised our OL didnt take over in the 2nd half. We started being patient and ran the ball some in the 2nd Q and they were hammering their DL. Looked like we would wear them down but never did. They outplayed us in the 2nd half and we didnt even average 4 ypc. Only 1 sack in 61 pass attempts is good- but considering they only rushed 3- it's expected.

6. On the Pick 6- the WR turned his head just as KJ threw the ball, I guess to check where he was on the field. He wasnt even looking and that led to the easy pick- very similar to Fitz's 1st pick at LSU in 2018. Helluva catch by Payton on the TD. 18 catches by the RB's is too many for this offense. It means we are having to check down way too often.

7. Just as many thought, our D has been pretty good against the run. They got us early with some power read, but we adjusted. Another really good goalline stand against their goalline offense. We are doing a good job so far of confusing OL's. We slanted the DL to the short side of the field and looped a LB from the middle around the edge for a sack last night. Usually takes too long for that to work- but it worked last night. UPig made us look bad on a couple of drives but overall a solid performance on D. Franks was 20/28 though and we didnt force any turnovers. The two blown coverages on the fake screens were big. But the bottom line is the D played well enough to win

8. People got mad at me last week for saying we need to run it more. Now you all have seen why. Leach is very smart and smarter than me. But I know you have to run vs a 5 man box. You have to. There just arent that many throwing windows vs an SEC defense dropping 8. Hell, we even got a 4 man box some. We didnt play a bigtime D last night folks. That was an average SEC D. We got some folks coming up on the schedule with much better DL's than UPig. Now that the blueprint has made it's way to the SEC- I'm curious to see how many copycat DC's there are. Some guys are hardheaded like Pellini and wont change because "this is what we do" (much like Leach). But some DC's are coaching whores and will do whatever it takes.

HailState
    Last edited by Coach34; 10-04-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We win if Kylin plays the whole game. Leach didn't want to put the game in the hands of Marks & Johnson. He put it in KJ's hands and he killed us. Simple as that.

Archimedes
    vCash
    We don?t need to take another transfer at the qb position. The toughness and speed in the SEC takes time to learn and these guys coming from outside the league don?t believe it till its to late.

vCash
    I guess Oregon didn't copy Washington's defense*

It'll be fine. Leach will figure it out.

Growing pains. We just started practice a month and half ago with a new scheme and QB

Have perspective
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Growing pains. We just started practice a month and half ago with a new scheme and QB

Have perspective
    And not having your best RB for most of the game didn't help at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    We don?t need to take another transfer at the qb position. The toughness and speed in the SEC takes time to learn and these guys coming from outside the league don?t believe it till its to late.
    I don't think we need to take anymore transfers period. How many of those have worked out so far? The only one that seems to be doing well off the top of my head is Shavers. Last year Stevens and Zuber didn't do anything. Then this year Lashley won't play a snap, Cole Smith still looks really iffy at center, Costello seems to not be able to take a hit, etc.

Why not just let who we have take the reps and develop, can't be any worse

Edit: I forgot to add the kicker Ruiz, but the jury is out on him until Leach finally decides to use the damn kicker!
    Last edited by Charlie_Sheen420; 10-04-2020 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Forgot the Kicker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    And not having your best RB for most of the game didn't help at all.
    Ark didn't either

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Ark didn't either
    Ours was better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Have perspective
    I have plenty of perspective. We lost to a team that is not very good. A team that lost 4 starters last night during our game. Those are facts. Losing to a bad team playing a prevent defense all night is troubling.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Couple points:

on 2) and 3), if coaches copy what works and Washington's 3-8 D worked, why did Leaches' O work more often than not over 18 seasons? Either people didn't copy it, or it's hard to copy. I won't lie and say I've seen a bunch of WSU football but I feel confident Leach faced Zone more than M2M. Why some zones work and some don't is what I want to know.

5) is a big key for me. Our OL HAS to be able to move dudes out of the way for this to ever work. Not bulldoze people, but allow for 5 yard 1st down runs vs 5 men boxes is perfectly reasonable to expect of an OL with this much talent and experience

7) ultimately the D allowed 275 yards and 14 points. That's pretty good, even though our opening gameplan was HORRIBLE, it took till the 3rd quarter to adjust, the secondary didn't know their assignments, and tackling was poor. DL got after it and we played hard. Aside from Bama and OM, are there really any "good" O's on the schedule? Auburn and A&M have bad QBs and need to run to be effective, which plays into our hands. Mizzou and Vandy are just bad. UGA may not have a great O but they have a ton of talent and will completely shut down our O so that doesn't matter. I'd say Bama and OM are the only games I really feel like we will definitely get torched

I'm shocked there is no 9) about Costello having issues, or the O not having enough reps to click vs zone. All you said about the O was we need to run it better, but I felt we learned a ton about KJ's flaws and the WRs not knowing how to attack a zone

vCash
    One correction the Defense did force 2 turnovers, 2 fumble recoveries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I have plenty of perspective. We lost to a team that is not very good. A team that lost 4 starters last night during our game. Those are facts. Losing to a bad team playing a prevent defense all night is troubling.
    Why couldn't we run the ball? Is it bc every run is either a draw (and they weren't blitzing) or an inside zone? Could we not get someone to put a hat on bumper pool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Agree with all you say here.

But it's not indicative of our long term success or failure.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    So now all of a sudden you were right all along... man 17 that shit and take it back to your high school shit. We lost cause we played like total shit. Our defense was damn good and did everything to win the game. The O didn’t. The scheme was there to make plays and Costello played about as bad as you could. He damn near singlehandedly cost is the game...

Oh and since you know every 17in thing, I guess you already know Hill got his ass benched last night for running his damn mouth to a coach after his concussion proto. THAT is the reason he didn’t come back...

Bit like I said, you already knew that...***

vCash
    Our run game is horrible! Pass blocking good, run blocking sucks. It's clear that it's not a priority in this offense. The lack of production in the second half showed that is offense isn't capable of running the ball effectively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    Our run game is horrible! Pass blocking good, run blocking sucks. It's clear that it's not a priority in this offense. The lack of production in the second half showed that is offense isn't capable of running the ball effectively.
    I'm not a coach. And I don't know X's and O's.

But based on what I saw last night, Arkansas had only 1 running play to defend. Am I seeing that right??

Seems to me that more variety(for lack of a better word) is needed in the run game.
    Just my $.02 worth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post
    So now all of a sudden you were right all along... man 17 that shit and take it back to your high school shit. We lost cause we played like total shit. Our defense was damn good and did everything to win the game. The O didn’t. The scheme was there to make plays and Costello played about as bad as you could. He damn near singlehandedly cost is the game...

Oh and since you know every 17in thing, I guess you already know Hill got his ass benched last night for running his damn mouth to a coach after his concussion proto. THAT is the reason he didn’t come back...

In my mind, KJ did single handily cost us the game. Even with the other screw ups, fumbled punt, we were still in a position to tie and/or win! One clear example was in Q4, we are fourth and 2 and he under throws an open receiver downfield 10 yards to the left of the line. The guy was wide open! He makes that throw 50 times in a row and this game he can't hit the broad side of a barn. Does he play better with day games, does he have night time sight issues? I ask these questions as something was obviously WRONG! The interceptions were horrible, I don't know what he was even looking at, not the other teams player, on a couple of them.

2 games and 6 turnovers, something has got to change!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TNDawg35 View Post

I'm not buying for 1 second the reason Hill was benched was because he was mouthy, the dude was literally punch drunk, that was why he was pushing away trainers and such. He can say being mouthy was the reason all he wants, but he got a concussion. He may be trying to protect his NFL stock by saying it was another reason (Concerns for CTE), but the dude literally went limp for 2-3 seconds which is why he fumbled the ball, he was out. He was not coming back in regardless. Leach is always going to be very careful in regards to concussions after what went down in Lubbock with the James kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Ours was better.
    Debatable

vCash
    Our run blocking is really bad. They were able to stuff our runs with just 3 linemen.