Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSU take

vCash

LSU take

My take on LSU game.

Biggest take is this, we were the more physical team. Which is odd to say for a team that ran for 9 bet yards but we were

LSU defense isn't bad. Actually i think it will be pretty good. We made them look way worse than what they are. Kudos to our offense. kJ was way more precise w his decisions than preseason. We had one drop?? Austin made several tough catches in traffic and will be valuable in tough yard downs. Not much to say about wr group other than they are way improved. Hill is hill in space. But he taps out way too much. Line was decent if not better. Dolla bull obviously had issues but he's learning and gonna be good. Remember LSU defense isn't bad they have athletes!! .....

Defense- I watched us scrimmage and we were shoved off the ball... coverage was subpar, not much else to say. ..
    But game day we played well. I'm not sold that we are good on defense. Not close but game day we did enough . Now I've said before that juco development was huge to us no matter how good or bad we had to grow up quick. Davis and wheat have stepped it up quickly. Also, I said Arnett is really good, when we stink ina game, and we will, don't get down on him, he's good!!

ST- very solid. Just don't screw it up. We didn't.

Overall- hard to complain when we beat a very talented LSU team. Down yes, talented , very!!

vCash
    Good post Home.

Every game that we can play without being exposed on defense is one game closer to us being a good defense. We got a real shot of doing that with Arkansas and Kentucky in the next two games, not the most explosive offenses. We’ve got to use the next two game to get more experienced and sound defensively so that we give ourselves a chance vs A&M and Bama.

I like what we have in the front 7. The emergence of Crumedy and Spencer along with Pickering playing well, Errol losing weight, Brule looking outstanding, & Wheat and Davis being ahead of schedule, I believe gives us a quality front 7 that can make teams 1 dimensional. Coverage has to be cleaned up though. LSU missed a ton of plays

As for Costello, he did say the light came on last Tuesday, so maybe that’s the explanation. Maybe he just got in that magic number of reps where everything becomes clear
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-30-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Good assessment. We are well coached football team. We played physical, tough and disciplined. Loved the effort and no real stupid penalties until the personal foul at the end. Love our new kicker! Guy was right down the middle, plenty of leg, got the ball up quick and hit the clutch kick that put us in then lead for good. Appreciate what you said about Arnett. He's gonna be a good one and we can't jump on him when we have a bad game. We are further ahead than what I thought we'd be because we missed all that practice time because of you know what.

vCash
    One more thing. Our defense didn't miss tackles and they played fast and aggressive. You can play that way when you've been coached well and taught your assignments and where you're supposed to be. Also kudos to Nathan and Crumedy for clogging up the middle all day long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good post Home.

Every game that we can play without being exposed on defense is one game closer to us being a good defense. We got a real shot of doing that with Arkansas and Kentucky in the next two games, not the most explosive offenses. We’ve got to use the next two game to get more experienced and sound defensively so that we give ourselves a chance vs A&M and Bama.

I like what we have in the front 7. The emergence of Crumedy and Spencer along with Pickering playing well, Errol losing weight, Brule looking outstanding, & Wheat and Davis being ahead of schedule, I believe gives us a quality front 7 that can make teams 1 dimensional. Coverage has to be cleaned up though. LSU missed a ton of plays

As for Costello, he did say the light came on last Tuesday, so maybe that’s the explanation. Maybe he just got in that magic number of reps where everything becomes clear
    As for kj, maybe so, maybe he clicked, he was a step slow making a throw when I saw him and he was stil ahead of our d. Thus my concerns. W that said, I was just as concerned that we wouldn't stop the run. And we had a great package this week to stop them. We still have no depth for a team that pounds us over and over....!either way game one was good I'll take it!!

vCash
    Brule was a player.... no doubt. Crumedy is good. Only better from here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Good assessment. We are well coached football team. We played physical, tough and disciplined. Loved the effort and no real stupid penalties until the personal foul at the end. Love our new kicker! Guy was right down the middle, plenty of leg, got the ball up quick and hit the clutch kick that put us in then lead for good. Appreciate what you said about Arnett. He's gonna be a good one and we can't jump on him when we have a bad game. We are further ahead than what I thought we'd be because we missed all that practice time because of you know what.
    Spot on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    One more thing. Our defense didn't miss tackles and they played fast and aggressive. You can play that way when you've been coached well and taught your assignments and where you're supposed to be. Also kudos to Nathan and Crumedy for clogging up the middle all day long.
    Again agree. Out of rep!

vCash
    That's what thing, lack of missed tackles by us sat was almost amazing. Can't say enough about that... don't notice them until you have them.

vCash
    The tackling 100% caught me off guard. Usually in game 1 in a normal season, you have some tackling issues. With all the s**t that has been going on and very limited practice time, to tackle as well as we did....wow. That's all you can say. Arnett is LEGIT. I hope we can hold onto him for a couple of years, I really really want to see him with some experienced, legit MSU type defensive talent. He's a boss.

It's incredible how well-conditioned we are too. I guess that's the benefit of having your WR's run 8-10 miles every practice and having your defense chase after them all day. That can ease a little of the concerns on depth because guys are just in ridiculously good shape. Shoutout to Tyson Brown too. I was skeptical on him when we hired him simply because I didn't know anything about him and my dumbass just assumed "well I bet WSU doesn't have a S&C worth a damn" and boy was I ever wrong.

Our WR's....I mean just wow. They look like completely different guys. Are we sure these are the same WR's that were on roster last year? Just goes to show you how poorly they were coached the last 2 years. They still have plenty of room to improve and continue getting better but Mitchell looks like a guy who has found his confidence. Javonta looks like a track star running those seam/fly routes up the sideline with DB's trailing him by 2-3 yards. Austin looks like he's ready to show it on the field and be that security blanket. Shavers, holy s**t that release at the line was absolutely filthy and I think he's going to REALLY get going the next 2-3 games, he's got some in-game experience now and gotten his feet wet. And just think, we did what we did with Heath getting 1 catch for 1 yard, the guy we all were banking on and putting all the pressure on to be THE WR for us this season coming into the offseason. He'll get acclimated and boy once he gets going.....

All I can say for KJ is sit back and enjoy this guys and gals. We're watching a future 1st round QB sit back and sling it around 50-60 times every game this year. Kid is special.

Kylin is Kylin and is going to turn himself into a 2nd round draft pick because of a wise business decision to come back and play in this offense.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    I'll stand by I was told ducking is really good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I forgot about him.

Did he play Saturday?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Homedawg, you expect Tulu and Walley to get more run going forward? Tulu was super hyped up during fall camp and I don’t recall him lining up at WR like at all. Walley was rumored to have had some really good scrimmages and he got a target and had that pass ripped away from him. Do you think either of them turn into contributors this year?

vCash
    Arnett wants to make sure the defense is disciplined and know their assignments. They'll get better as the season moves on..... I expect more accountability as the season goes on as well. LSU showed no creativity, which helped our defense since they were extremely vanilla. But an innovator on offense can really expose us. Arnett knows this and I'm sure he's doing everything to fix it.

vCash
    My take aways in order of wow factor:

1) Conditioning - Night and day over what we saw in 2018 & 2019. Those years were embarrassing.
    2) Conditioning - See above
    3) Tackling - No misses. Sweet.
    4) Fundamentals - Get the basics right - run, throw, catch and tackle and your half way home for the win
    5) Coaching - nuff said
    6) Talent - Who were those guys in maroon? Football is back, baby.

vCash
    My take on LSU game.

Biggest take is this, we were the more physical team. Which is odd to say for a team that ran for 9 bet yards but we were

LSU defense isn't bad. Actually i think it will be pretty good. We made them look way worse than what they are. Kudos to our offense. kJ was way more precise w his decisions than preseason. We had one drop?? Austin made several tough catches in traffic and will be valuable in tough yard downs. Not much to say about wr group other than they are way improved. Hill is hill in space. But he taps out way too much. Line was decent if not better. Dolla bull obviously had issues but he's learning and gonna be good. Remember LSU defense isn't bad they have athletes!! .....

Defense- I watched us scrimmage and we were shoved off the ball... coverage was subpar, not much else to say. ..
    But game day we played well. I'm not sold that we are good on defense. Not close but game day we did enough . Now I've said before that juco development was huge to us no matter how good or bad we had to grow up quick. Davis and wheat have stepped it up quickly. Also, I said Arnett is really good, when we stink ina game, and we will, don't get down on him, he's good!!

ST- very solid. Just don't screw it up. We didn't.

Overall- hard to complain when we beat a very talented LSU team. Down yes, talented , very!!
    all good points ... what I noticed after the re-watch was we seemed to get better and better as the game progressed. Some of this could be due to conditioning or play calling or adjustments or whatever ...... all I know is that in the past it seemed like the closer we were to the finish line the more conservative (or maybe tired) we got but it certainly wasn't the case Saturday
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Homedawg, you expect Tulu and Walley to get more run going forward? Tulu was super hyped up during fall camp and I don’t recall him lining up at WR like at all. Walley was rumored to have had some really good scrimmages and he got a target and had that pass ripped away from him. Do you think either of them turn into contributors this year?
    Tulu is going to be really good. But Walley is more likely to get a lot of opportunities this year I think. Barring injury that is.

vCash
    Tulu is going to be really good. But Walley is more likely to get a lot of opportunities this year I think. Barring injury that is.
    Nice! Thanks for the info. I think Walley is going to be a star in the future in this offense. All-SEC type WR. That’s my own personal prediction for him. He’s my guy I’m riding with for the future.

vCash
    Is it fair to say Cam Gardner is keeping Tulu off the field right now? There's really only room for two Xs. I'm guessing Cam is more "consistently good" which you would expect from an older guy.

Walley doesn't seem to have as much competition to deal with behind Austin at Y, so I can see how he would have more opportunities, just based on position if nothing else. Also, this offense seems to get the Y involved better than the X, at least from what I watched in 2018 & 2019 plus our first game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good post Home.

We're a front 6 not a front 7.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.