Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Was our win over LSU this year bigger than our win over LSU in 2014?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MStateDawg View Post
    On a single game basis, yes I think 2020 was bigger than 2014.
    But on a larger scale comparison, without the 2014 Win we never make it to No. 1 which is arguably our greatest football achievement ever.
    ^^^^ exactly what he said ....
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    How was it this year?

Being a mostly empty stadium.
    To me- it wasn't bad at all for what it was. Now no- it wasn't the LSU atmosphere that they typically have by a long shot and it wasn't wild at all. And that was one of the things that was so special about beating them in 2014- they had their full on atmosphere. I think they had 22K there if I'm not mistaken or something like that so I guess I would compare the crowd to MSU playing a FCS team when we have a below average team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    I think the win Saturday will be remembered longer nationally simply because it had more exposure and it was Leach's debut as an SEC head coach and it was this big record breaking success.

Most people nationally have already forgotten the 2014 game, but I do think that one may have been a bigger deal within our program. LSU had dominated us for 15 years with 99% of those games being total beatdowns. It was a game that Mullen hadn't proven he could win to that point, and he finally got that win in a resounding way, and it obviously propelled us to huge things.

Too early to know exactly what this year's win means within our program. I mean both us and LSU could end up sucking technically. Don't think that will be the case but there's so much we don't know after one game. Probably need to revisit this one later in the year, because I would say it loses a good bit of luster if we go lose to Kentucky and A&M and are sitting at 2-3 after the Bama game. I think for this one to have a strong legacy it needs to propel us to more big wins and a strong debut season overall for Leach.
    I agree. I was honestly surprised at the viewership for the game and how everyone has been talking about our game. I didn't anticipate that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Lol. Ultimately, this question will be answered in how the rest of the season plays out. It's that simple.
    THIS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    THIS
    you realize you just validated cynicism don't you ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Based on the amount of attention we have received- I'm going to say yes.

I was at both games. And 2014 was a very special win- don't get me wrong. It had Dak's signature "Heisman" play in it when he stiff armed that DB from LSU. And there is nothing like watching LSU fans file out defeated in the middle of the fourth quarter.

And leaving the game this year, while it was awesome to win I honestly first take would have still said that 2014 was better.

But what has changed my mind is the amount of national attention we are receiving right now from this win. Everyone is talking about us. I don't know that everyone was talking about us after beating LSU- after beating Auburn- yes. But not after beating LSU.

The answer ultimately will be based on how the rest of the season turns out. At worst this is the equivalent of Jackie beating Texas in 1991 and Dan beating Ole Miss in 2009. This was definitely Mike Leach's "We're here" game.
    It feels bigger now. 2014 was 5 years and a couple of games into Mullen * career. This one is the first game, on the road against the defending NC. It certainly set a tone. Mullen* first big win like this was on the road at Florida.

But we followed it up with 2 bigger wins and legitimized it with A&M and Auburn in 14. That made it even more special.

If Leach can get us wins over Ark, Aub and UK, I'll say he will have surpassed the 2014 LSU win.

vCash
    This one feels good in the moment but will be forgotten if it's not the start of a good run.

Prior to 2014, we had 3 wins in about 30 years against them. We were 1-3 against Curley freakin' Hallman, got spanked by a 4-7 DiNardo team the year we won the West, and squeaked out a nail-biter against possibly the worst LSU team I've ever seen in '99. In 2014, our guys dominated a seemingly good LSU team that beat a ranked Wisconsin to start the season for 3+ quarters before we left off the gas. The sort of comeback that LSU had against us in some other years fell short. We got the monkey off the back in a big way.