Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was our win over LSU this year bigger than our win over LSU in 2014?

vCash

Was our win over LSU this year bigger than our win over LSU in 2014?

Based on the amount of attention we have received- I'm going to say yes.

I was at both games. And 2014 was a very special win- don't get me wrong. It had Dak's signature "Heisman" play in it when he stiff armed that DB from LSU. And there is nothing like watching LSU fans file out defeated in the middle of the fourth quarter.

And leaving the game this year, while it was awesome to win I honestly first take would have still said that 2014 was better.

But what has changed my mind is the amount of national attention we are receiving right now from this win. Everyone is talking about us. I don't know that everyone was talking about us after beating LSU- after beating Auburn- yes. But not after beating LSU.

The answer ultimately will be based on how the rest of the season turns out. At worst this is the equivalent of Jackie beating Texas in 1991 and Dan beating Ole Miss in 2009. This was definitely Mike Leach's "We're here" game.

vCash
    While this was a fantastic victory.

We did prove that LSU has the #1 rush defense in the nation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    While this was a fantastic victory.

We did prove that LSU has the #1 rush defense in the nation.
    Lol. Ultimately, this question will be answered in how the rest of the season plays out. It's that simple.

vCash
    Going with yes for now. LSU was National champion with 16 game win streak and no NC had lost a home opener since ~ 1978! Media gave us less than zero chance!
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Yes. Felt different. Felt better. Didn't feel like a fluke.

vCash
    Jury is still out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Jury is still out.
    This. Depends on what we do with it.

What’s bigger than any one win is that we’re 3-4 vs LSU in the past 7 and a missed FG from having a winning record.

We don’t fear their helmet anymore.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    In 2014 we hadn't won in Tiger Stadium since 1991. It was at night with a full crowd. They were ranked 8. I hope 2020 ends up even better than 2014 but I gotta go with 2014's win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    In 2014 we hadn't won in Tiger Stadium since 1991. It was at night with a full crowd. They were ranked 8. I hope 2020 ends up even better than 2014 but I gotta go with 2014's win.
    Those are good points I hadn't considered. Well said. The magnitude of what that meant in that moment probably sways the argument, coupled with the run we went on to #1. Still, this year's win could be the spring-board for something as good or better. We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This. Depends on what we do with it.

What’s bigger than any one win is that we’re 3-4 vs LSU in the past 7 and a missed FG from having a winning record.

We don’t fear their helmet anymore.
    And to some degree, what LSU does from here on out. How will they handle adversity??

It's just so early. Right now all we really know is that we're better than LSU this year. Coupla weeks and we'll know a whole lot more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Those are good points I hadn't considered. Well said. The magnitude of what that meant in that moment probably sways the argument, coupled with the run we went on to #1. Still, this year's win could be the spring-board for something as good or better. We'll see.
    2014 announced our arrival. Hopefully 2020's win announced we're back.

vCash

My view

My view: 2020 was most important.

I do agree what matters most is what we do with it. Let's establish that. It was true in 2014 and is true now.

However, I think 2020 is more important in a 1 for 1 situation than 2014. The entire college football world had eyes on that game Saturday. The first CBS Saturday during a pandemic. We also have Mike Leach which attracts national attention and curious people.

In 2014, we were a few years in Mullen era. It took 4 years for people to pay attention. Leach got their attention by halftime of game 1.

There were so many questions whether that offense could work in the SEC against the elite defenses. That got shut up quick. Recruits on the offensive side of the ball have to be curious about playing here. And we play defense like we do offense. Aggressive, fast and not scared.

It took Mullen 4 years to get that huge signature win. It took Leacb one football game. Therefore, 2020.

vCash
    I think the win Saturday will be remembered longer nationally simply because it had more exposure and it was Leach's debut as an SEC head coach and it was this big record breaking success.

Most people nationally have already forgotten the 2014 game, but I do think that one may have been a bigger deal within our program. LSU had dominated us for 15 years with 99% of those games being total beatdowns. It was a game that Mullen hadn't proven he could win to that point, and he finally got that win in a resounding way, and it obviously propelled us to huge things.

Too early to know exactly what this year's win means within our program. I mean both us and LSU could end up sucking technically. Don't think that will be the case but there's so much we don't know after one game. Probably need to revisit this one later in the year, because I would say it loses a good bit of luster if we go lose to Kentucky and A&M and are sitting at 2-3 after the Bama game. I think for this one to have a strong legacy it needs to propel us to more big wins and a strong debut season overall for Leach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I was at both games. And 2014 was a very special win- don't get me wrong. It had Dak's signature "Heisman" play in it when he stiff armed that DB from LSU. And there is nothing like watching LSU fans file out defeated in the middle of the fourth quarter.

And leaving the game this year, while it was awesome to win I honestly first take would have still said that 2014 was better.

But what has changed my mind is the amount of national attention we are receiving right now from this win. Everyone is talking about us. I don't know that everyone was talking about us after beating LSU- after beating Auburn- yes. But not after beating LSU.

The answer ultimately will be based on how the rest of the season turns out. At worst this is the equivalent of Jackie beating Texas in 1991 and Dan beating Ole Miss in 2009. This was definitely Mike Leach's "We're here" game.

Great talking point/thread topic btw...

I am the biggest State fan you will ever meet, I bleed maroon and white but I didn?t give a shit about this football season to be honest, have been through so much in 2020(as I?m sure others have) that football took a back seat. This win got me back on State football and so excited for the future. Leach is legit and this could legit be the turning point in MSU football, our hard work and diligence over the last 10+ years is about about to pay off I think. Get ready and get your swagger as a fan of the bulldogs back. I can feel it, this is a movement.
    Last edited by MoreCowbell; 09-29-2020 at 11:56 PM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I would add to this conversation with just this.
    In 2014, it was the first time we were undoubtedly the better team. The 2020 game, was probably a bigger game considering what is happening in this country. First LSU with their NC and 16 game winning streak. Add in the COVID situation. Add in Leach and his first SEC game. Add in the air raid in the sec debate. Add in 632 yards in the first start in the SEC in Death Valley by KJ.

Heck man, Patrick Mahommes even commented about it. KJ has won every single offensive award available to a qb. In his first game. Without a spring. In an atmosphere of college football hungry for an interesting national game. And we got it. Beautiful.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    The biggest difference is we have a fun, affable, well known coach who doesn't mind talking to the media - who has a national reputation for both his work and his words.
    Broadcasters love Leach. There are Mike Leach fans who will follow whatever team he coaches (kind of like Bill Parcels, Bum Phillips, and Jimmy Johnson used to be).

So, this game really is the culmination of the last 30 years of work that has been put into MSU since we hired Jackie. We have finally built ourselves to the point where we are Nationally relevant, with a nationally known successful coach, a roster of talent to compete, and have the resources to do it. Leach kicked in the door to the clubhouse Saturday afternoon, and announced that the new sheriff was coming. It may not happen this year, but IT'S COMING.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    How was it this year?

Being a mostly empty stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Not yet. Momentum was building in 2014. We were 3-0 entering with dominating wins. LSU at night, national TV, record crowd. Dak, Josh and Day back in LA. Everyone expected some letdown with LSU this year, not in 14.

It did feel more like JWS beating Texas in 1991.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

It did feel more like JWS beating Texas in 1991.
    That's a great comparison. That was a semi unexpected, exciting win to open the season.

vCash
    On a single game basis, yes I think 2020 was bigger than 2014.
    But on a larger scale comparison, without the 2014 Win we never make it to No. 1 which is arguably our greatest football achievement ever.