Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Costello break the NCAA Single Game Passing Record this season?

vCash

Does Costello break the NCAA Single Game Passing Record this season?

Game one he lights up lsu for 623. Could he get the record before the season is over?

As you can imagine, the record was set recently and it was a Mike Leach coached QB who did so.
    The current record of 734 passing yards was set in 2014 by Connor Holliday vs Oregon.
    It broke a 1991 record owned by David klinger of Houston.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/se...lege-football/

vCash
    Single game is possible. I think single season is out of reach. If Costello get the single season, we will win the Natty.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Ehhhh I'm not sure if he can get to 735 yards. I'd be very reluctant to predict that. I think a lot of teams are going to try to eat a lot of clock against us going forward so that could cut down on passing attempts some. But I wouldn't be shocked if he sniffed 600 yards again.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    No.

Two things would have to happen for him to have a shot:

1. We'd have to be facing a really good offense so that we had to keep scoring. That narrows down the list of possible teams to Alabama, Ole Miss, maybe Auburn, maybe A&M, & maybe UGA.

2. Secondly, the DC for that team would have to stay in man coverage so that we could get over the top. My guess is most defense are going to try like hell to keep us in front of them, which could make it easier to move the ball, but likely not as many explosive plays like Saturday
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Banned
    vCash
    Egg Bowl is the only shot I currently see but then again I don't trust their offense to actually keep up. Plus we know the law of the universe is going to make that game be a defensive slugfest anyways.

We'd need a team to keep up or beat us while having a bad enough defense to allow us to keep throwing but not too bad to where we slow down. OM is the only one close on the schedule. Maybe Auburn but I doubt their secondary / dline has that much drop off. If we played Florida I could see it. Depending on bowl matchup it could happen there as well.

vCash
    No. 623 will likely be season high.
    Nobody else is going to be stupid enough to keep playing man the whole game with little safety help over the top while we consistently hit the deep ball.

vCash

No.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Game one he lights up lsu for 623. Could he get the record before the season is over?

As you can imagine, the record was set recently and it was a Mike Leach coached QB who did so.
    The current record of 734 passing yards was set in 2014 by Connor Holliday vs Oregon.

Not likely. Arky will probably try to take the top away and zone us. KH finna pop off bc of it. If there's records set Saturday, it'll be Hill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Nobody else is going to be stupid enough to keep playing man the whole game with little safety help over the top while we consistently hit the deep ball.
    Agreed. I also see Kylin Hill having some massive games when teams start playing zone and putting only 3-4 men on the line. This offense is a "pick your poison" type offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I'm not sold on "let K Hill, J Marks, Shavers, Mitchell, et. al. catch the ball in space vs a zone" will much less explosive.

In Matt's video this morning, he showed one time LSU played the "Washington defense" on Saturday. 3rd and 20, rushed 3, dropped 8, K.J. Costello pass complete to Cameron Gardner for 24 yds to the LSU 43 for a 1ST down.

That said, 734 will take a shootout, or playing a team Leach doesn't like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I'm not sold on "let K Hill, J Marks, Shavers, Mitchell, et. al. catch the ball in space vs a zone" will much less explosive.

In Matt's video this morning, he showed one time LSU played the "Washington defense" on Saturday. 3rd and 20, rushed 3, dropped 8, K.J. Costello pass complete to Cameron Gardner for 24 yds to the LSU 43 for a 1ST down.

True. That 3rd and 20 Prob should have been picked though. Heavy traffic. That's completed about 2 out of 10 times.

But your larger point is well taken. I just think there will be less huge chunk plays with teams keeping things underneath.

vCash

I think Costello probably had his greatest statistical game at MSU in his first game. Doubt he repeats that effort again, especially with only one year. A lot of things came together for that record breaker. Including circumstances still requiring him to sling it all over the field with 500+ yards already completed. I believe teams will play us differently now, which means shorter passes and a shorter game. I do think he will have a few more 500+ yd games.

vCash

Texas A&M or bowl game?

vCash
    Texas A&M or bowl game?
    That was my thought as well.

He and Kiffin seem to like each other, so I don't think it will be Ole Miss. And he liked taking shots at the weird A&M traditions

On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
    "How come they get to pretend they are soldiers? The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."
    PS while looking for the above quote, I found this one. I forgot about

On running up the score against Nebraska in 2004 (the final as 70-10):
    "The interesting thing about football is that football is the only sport where you quit playing when you get a lead. In golf, you keep trying to score well when you’re ahead.

"In basketball, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In hockey, they don’t quit shooting when they’re ahead. In boxing, you don’t quit punching when you’re ahead. But in football, somehow magically, you’re supposed to quit playing when you’re ahead. Well, I don’t subscribe to that. I don’t do it like that. And you know, the truth of the matter is, Nebraska never has either."
    So in that case I say he'll break it vs someone this year. And Might have a couple "team passing records" I.e. combined KJ and Will
    Last edited by SheltonChoked; 09-29-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Found a new quote

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Single game is possible. I think single season is out of reach. If Costello get the single season, we will win the Natty.
    He is already well above pace to break the single season record, with Arkansas, LoL Miss, Vandy, and Mizzou to go.

The record is 5,833 yards.

5,833-623= 5,210

5,210/9= 578.9

Yes he is going to throw for less against teams like Bama. But if he can make it up against the others, it's possible he could break the single season record. Certainly he is going to join the other 7 or 8 Mike Leach players in the top 25 single season book, if he stays healthy.

vCash
    Don?t think he will, but if he did I think it will be ole miss

vCash
    And Might have a couple "team passing records" I.e. combined KJ and Will
    Don't see it unless we make the playoffs. We already lost two games and got two more sec teams while losing 4 ooc games!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    He is already well above pace to break the single season record, with Arkansas, LoL Miss, Vandy, and Mizzou to go.

5,833-623= 5,210

5,210/9= 578.9

Yes he is going to throw for less against teams like Bama. But if he can make it up against the others, it's possible he could break the single season record. Certainly he is going to join the other 7 or 8 Mike Leach players in the top 25 single season book, if he stays healthy.
    He will not break that record. Yes, he's on pace for it. Because he's played 1 game and put up one of the 11 best passing performances ever in that 1 game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    He will not break that record. Yes, he's on pace for it. Because he's played 1 game and put up one of the 11 best passing performances ever in that 1 game.
    And at least four of our games will be against far far worse defenses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post

5,833-623= 5,210

5,210/9= 578.9

He will definitely put up numbers - but you are talking about unfathomable numbers to break that record in 10 games compared to the 13 that Symons had. He averaged 449 yards a game, against the 44th SOS.
    Costello reaching 579 a game against an All-SEC schedule? No way. Even factoring in a bowl game to drop it to 521 is pretty crazy to expect. That is why I said that the shot to break it this year would mean we are playing for or winning the Natty - that would give us 13 games, and Costello would need "only" 434 YPG - a much more realistic number when you consider everything.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    after last Saturday I think we are no longer flying under the radar ... future opponents will take note of what NOT to do. Although it would be cool for an MSU QB to be the one to do it - I just think the other opponents will have better game planning in place ...... I think LSU kinda took us for granted and paid the price
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.