Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Good Article For Football Nerds

vCash

Crazy Good Article For Football Nerds

The issue many SEC team will have is that they may have to play a different defensive scheme against us than they do against any other team on their schedule

How do they master that in a week?

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-28-2020 at 02:21 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    That is a good read. Same guy wrote an article last year on Washington stopping Leach consistently.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6...t-the-air-raid

basically, play zone, have better talent to pressure with only 3 rushers

If LSU can't get home consistently with 4, I don't know others will get home with 3, but maybe its a coverage sack issue.

I think we expect him to be pragmatic and run Hill with a 4/5 man box. Will he?

B

vCash
    I mean, we are running on this, right?

vCash
    How does the zone defense stop K Hill?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Exactly... In this video, WSU tries to run and cannot vs the UW front.

And in the above link, this is a key takeaway..

Only a week prior to the 2018 Apple Cup, Minshew threw for 7 touchdowns against the Arizona Wildcats. ?Zona also rushed 3 guys a lot but a) couldn?t get pressure and b) dropped too shallow (often because they were dropping defensive linemen).
    If we start seeing 3 man fronts, and lots of zone, we need our line to be able to get to the 2nd level, and our RB's to take advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Well this kind of brings to my next point.

Pelini has faced Leach twice before and the offense hasn’t changed. So why did Pelini choose to do this?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungB View Post
    I mean, we are running on this, right?

I would hope our OL would be able to get to those LB, and have Hill running free for 15 yards before the safety can get down.

Seems ripe for that shovel pass or a draw as well as the several running plays.

vCash
    Leech will make the SEC better, if they play it once a year they will at least have some experience against it if they an air raid type team in the post season

vCash
    one week is difficult indeed ... I'm reminded of having a month to prepare for Ga Tech's triple option ... I know we didn't have a DC (G Collins had already left) but even after 3 or 4 weeks prep we still couldn't stop it .... and that was with a powerful offense of our own
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Well this kind of brings to my next point.

Pelini has faced Leach twice before and the offense hasn’t changed. So why did Pelini choose to do this?
    He didn't respect our receivers and thought they sucked. That's exactly what happened pure arrogance from dbu.

vCash
    The problem he faced at WSU was that Washington recruits at around a top 30 level most years and WSU even on their best years are barely able to crack the top 50. That big of a recruiting disadvantage on top of Leach not being in an area that's especially fertile recruiting grounds is not a recipe for success no matter how much scheming you're able to do. Another problem when he faced Washington was that Chris Peterson was always able to strike on 1-2 Samoans every couple of years that turned into top 15 D line picks. I think Leach had one first OL taken his entire time at WSU. That's a big talent gap in the trenches. The other answer is that the weather for that game is ALWAYS crap. It's either raining, sleeting, or snowing every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    The problem he faced at WSU was that Washington recruits at around a top 30 level most years and WSU even on their best years are barely able to crack the top 50. That big of a recruiting disadvantage on top of Leach not being in an area that's especially fertile recruiting grounds is not a recipe for success no matter how much scheming you're able to do. Another problem when he faced Washington was that Chris Peterson was always able to strike on 1-2 Samoans every couple of years that turned into top 15 D line picks. I think Leach had one first OL taken his entire time at WSU. That's a big talent gap in the trenches. The other answer is that the weather for that game is ALWAYS crap. It's either raining, sleeting, or snowing every year.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't four of those front seven for Washington get taken in the that years' draft? That may have a lot to do with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't four of those front seven for Washington get taken in the that years' draft? That may have a lot to do with it.
    EXACTLY. I was very quick to judge it the same way that they had figured out how to stop the Air Raid, but it really came down to they were just flat out more talented in the trenches and the big splits in the Air Raid hinder you when you're being out athleted in the trenches. We're good enough there that there's not many teams that can out athlete us. Cross is a 1st round talent and Dolla Bill has the ability to be a fringe 1st round guy. Add in Eiland, Parker, and Smith who all can play at the next level and you're just not going to get man handled at the line like UW was able to do against Wazzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I would hope our OL would be able to get to those LB, and have Hill running free for 15 yards before the safety can get down.

Seems ripe for that shovel pass or a draw as well as the several running plays.
    I suspect UW gets away with it due to a talent disparity. I don't think a SEC Defense would drop 8 against our O-line and RBs on a consistent basis. I'm sure it will be thrown in occasionally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungB View Post
    That is a good read. Same guy wrote an article last year on Washington stopping Leach consistently.

https://blogs.usafootball.com/blog/6...t-the-air-raid

basically, play zone, have better talent to pressure with only 3 rushers

If LSU can't get home consistently with 4, I don't know others will get home with 3, but maybe its a coverage sack issue.

I think we expect him to be pragmatic and run Hill with a 4/5 man box. Will he?

B
    Well if you can control the run game and get pressure on the quarterback with just rushing 3, then there aren?t a lot of offenses in the world that work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Delmar View Post
    Well if you can control the run game and get pressure on the quarterback with just rushing 3, then there aren?t a lot of offenses in the world that work.
    I was thinking the same thing. If you control the los with 3 you're good against anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    He didn't respect our receivers and thought they sucked. That's exactly what happened pure arrogance from dbu.
    +1
    Exactly.

vCash
    Everyone acts like Washington 'figured it out,' when they've been playing Leach since 2012. If it was as easy as rushing 3 and dropping 8, everyone else would have 'figured it out' and been stopping it long before now.

Washington was simply better than Washington State, the same way Bama has been simply better than us. What did Bama do to 'figure us out' and shut us down? They beat us in the trenches and at the second level and in the secondary. That's a pretty good way to do it.

Certain schemes are better than others, but if your linemen can block, your WRs can find space, and your QB can deliver it on target and on time, you'll have success against any scheme. Pretending 'figuring out' the scheme of a guy who's been coaching and using the exact same scheme for more than 20 years is some kind of accomplishment is hilarious. Everyone knows Leach's scheme and knows the principles of how you might stop it. But you still have to go do it. Just like if LSU had gotten constant pressure and their DBs had draped our WRs, they would have beaten us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Everyone acts like Washington 'figured it out,' when they've been playing Leach since 2012. If it was as easy as rushing 3 and dropping 8, everyone else would have 'figured it out' and been stopping it long before now.

Washington was simply better than Washington State, the same way Bama has been simply better than us. What did Bama do to 'figure us out' and shut us down? They beat us in the trenches and at the second level and in the secondary. That's a pretty good way to do it.

Certain schemes are better than others, but if your linemen can block, your WRs can find space, and your QB can deliver it on target and on time, you'll have success against any scheme. Pretending 'figuring out' the scheme of a guy who's been coaching and using the exact same scheme for more than 20 years is some kind of accomplishment is hilarious. Everyone knows Leach's scheme and knows the principles of how you might stop it. But you still have to go do it. Just like if LSU had gotten constant pressure and their DBs had draped our WRs, they would have beaten us.
    Rep given!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

/slow clap