Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Wyatt Interview on ESPN Huntsville: Get Ready For Zone D

vCash

Matt Wyatt Interview on ESPN Huntsville: Get Ready For Zone D

If LSU can't cover MSU WRs 1 on 1 then virtually nobody can.

Matt says that Arkansas and others will back up and give MSU underneath routes.

Said KJ's completion percentage will go up but the big plays will go down and MSU will have to drive the field with more plays to score.

I'm sure Leach has to be joyous that one week into his SEC tenure he's already destroyed the traditional SEC blue blood defense of choice.

What does all this mean?

How do we attack zone and what does this mean for our offense?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    It means death by a thousand cuts for the other team. Leach has seen teams zone before so he knows how to attack it. Also means some more opportunities for running the ball.

vCash
    sounds pretty spot on ... I was thinking the same thing - man to man didn't work so Arky and others will play zone against us so we put longer drives together ..... I also wonder if Leach counters with more runs / draws ....but instead of a 10 yard pass on 3rd & 8 the opposing defenses can't forget that Leach might go for it all on that call
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 09-28-2020 at 08:29 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

Said KJ's completion percentage will go up but the big plays will go down and MSU will have to drive the field with more plays to score.

I'm sure Leach has to be joyous that one week into his SEC tenure he's already destroyed the traditional SEC blue blood defense of choice.

What does all this mean?

It means Leach attacks defenses the way he's always had to attack defenses. His offense doesn't usually put up close to 20 yards per reception and over 10 per attempt. He was shocked LSU was in man because he's used to everyone playing zone.

So it will just be business as usual for Leach.

vCash
    Zone is hard to play without having 5 men boxes... will be interesting to see of we run the ball and how effective we are of we do

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    It means death by a thousand cuts for the other team. Leach has seen teams zone before so he knows how to attack it. Also means some more opportunities for running the ball.
    Why can you run the ball better vs zone?

vCash
    The only way to really stop Leachs offense is to mix coverage and disguise coverage. You can't play just man(as lsu did) or just zone cause you will get picked apart.

vCash
    Because most will play a 3 man front and drop 8 the box will be lighter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Zone is hard to play without having 5 men boxes... will be interesting to see of we run the ball and how effective we are of we do
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It means Leach attacks defenses the way he's always had to attack defenses. His offense doesn't usually put up close to 20 yards per reception and over 10 per attempt. He was shocked LSU was in man because he's used to everyone playing zone.

So it will just be business as usual for Leach.
    I'm not sure he's seen man to man in years and LSU was just arrogant enough to try it. Not sure anyone else will do that.

Agree. Now he's back to playing against what he accustomed to.

vCash
    It's not that it is just zone, it is if our opponents go to a 3 down 8 coverage zone. Hill will get 5 yds a pop against an 8 man coverage zone. It will force our opponents to bring another man or two into the box to try to contain Hill. Bringing 1 to 2 players out of zone into run support opens up that many more holes in the zone for receivers.

vCash
    To add: Matt said he wasn't surprised by Costello. Said practice is unbelievable and they pass and catch like that easily everyday.

He said the reps these kids are unreal and the execution is off the charts in practice.

Matt did say he was surprised by our run defense. He didn't expect that.

vCash
    To add: Matt said he wasn't surprised by Costello. Said practice is unbelievable and they pass and catch like that easily everyday.

He said the reps these kids are unreal and the execution is off the charts in practice.
    Have to say, I'm super wooly after the LSU game, mainly because we were so hot and cold on offense....i.e. 4 turnovers. You cut that just in half and we win by 20. I know LSU isn't the gold standard that they were last year, but the results we had in 1st game of a new coach and a new system with no spring practice were mind blowing to me. Plenty to work on and clean up on offense which means we have the potential to be a lot more lethal on offense this year. Add to that the D looked very solid and disciplined and I think we are in for a pleasant year. After this weekend, I think 7 wins is very doable and 8 wins is not out of the realm of possibility. IF, IF we had UGA at home, I think we would have a chance to clip them too.

I know, I am wooly, but I saw a TON to like about this team and saw a ton of room to grow and improve as well, which I think will happen over the course of the season with coaching and game experience for the young guys, especially on D.

vCash

Matt did say he was surprised by our run defense. He didn't expect that.
    There's no way to overshadow what KJ and the offense did Saturday but damn, the defense is what has me changing my outlook on the season.

Sure, there's no denying what LSU lost on offense. But all offseason, we've heard from national media and LSU media how Brennan was looking unreal and completing a ton of passes and the offense looked explosive and that they still had plenty of weapons to pick us apart. And sure, he put up some good stats but our defense played a whole hell of a lot better than I thought they would in game 1. They gave up 27 points to LSU's offense and that's with an INT (minus the pick 6) and 2 fumbles. We gave up 80 yards to a couple 4-stars and a 5-star RB. If we can avoid injuries, this defense could wind up what I predicted to C34 and exactly what we need with this offense & that's a middle of the pack SEC defense inside the Top 10 in the SEC. That's all we need with this offense to win some games this season.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    And what I was told by a head coach is already happening... and it’s just week 2
    The week I dreaded the most was the week before we played Wash State..

vCash

What does all this mean?

This is what Leach was expecting from LSU as well. He said they went over the top more because they had to because LSU was compressing the space more and more underneath. The game plan will not change at all then.

vCash

What does all this mean?

Depends on what kind of zone. But the air raid plays work very well vs zone too. You either overload the zone, or find the seams.

Mesh vs zone

Y cross vs cover 2 zone

4 verts vs cover 2

4 verts vs cover 3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    The only way to really stop Leachs offense is to mix coverage and disguise coverage. You can't play just man(as lsu did) or just zone cause you will get picked apart.
    This is exactly right. This is what caused the pic 6 on Saturday - they baited Costello into that. This will continue to happen but I think something that is key is the more a defense wears down late in a game, the less disciplined and polished they will be to pull off these Disguises. And leach will be ready for this.

vCash
    Bring on the zone. We'll dink and dunk you to death and it'll force them to make open field tackles in space.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    This is exactly right. This is what caused the pic 6 on Saturday - they baited Costello into that. This will continue to happen but I think something that is key is the more a defense wears down late in a game, the less disciplined and polished they will be to pull off these Disguises. And leach will be ready for this.
    Absolutely, the tired defense came into play big from the end of the 3rd quarter til the end of the game. Costello was at 335 yards with about 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. So he threw for almost another 300 in the last quarter and half. Tired legs on that lsu defense. Without the int and fumble in the 4th quarter we would've had this game put away much sooner cause lsu defense was done.