vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Y'all wanna start a bidding war?**

HA! Nice.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Insert joke about Todd's mom here.***
    I always found her gentle, for a gal her size.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IMissJack View Post
    Of course if we don?t take care of the assistants pay wise they won?t be here long. IMO this is one of the biggest keys in MSU ever taking the next step up. It is one of the reasons Dabo has been so successful at Clemson. They don?t have to hire a new DC every year because Venerables is locked up.
    Venables would have been gone for years if he wanted a HC gig. That has more to do with it than his DC salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Venables would have been gone for years if he wanted a HC gig. That has more to do with it than his DC salary.
    yep.

Not everybody is a HC. Some people are just great assistants.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Last edited by MedDawg; 09-28-2020 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    I always found her gentle, for a gal her size.

You know when Todd was a kid he thought his mom was in the Navy. All those sailors coming over just confused him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    So is my Mom.
    Of course she's 6'3", 250.
    And runs a 4.5 forty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree. But didn't we do this when Grantham was here?

But as LSU showed with Aranda even if you make someone the top paid guy more often than not they'll take a head coaching job because they want to move up in their career. I know Cohen has spoken to Venables when we have had head coaching openings and he hasn't returned interest. So it can go both ways.
    We have learned to open up the pocket book on coordinators, if warranted. It's the other assistants where we cut corners. And it's not really cutting corners. Realistically, we shouldn't have the highest paid football staff in college football, so we have to be smart about spending money. I think we probably have the right balance now. We'll pay the right head coach or coordinators and we're going to have to trust them to manage other assistants that move on to advance their career, which they largely will do regardless of money. IT just hurts when they take the same level job at another program because they'll pay more.

Now if the Pirate cruises to 8-2 this year, we might should pony up for all the assistants Leach trusts. At that point, we'll have a pretty good indication we are getting our money's worth. And Leach I don't think is going to ask to be the highest paid HC, so I think we'll be able to justify ponying up for the assistants he says are worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    We have learned to open up the pocket book on coordinators, if warranted. It's the other assistants where we cut corners. And it's not really cutting corners. Realistically, we shouldn't have the highest paid football staff in college football, so we have to be smart about spending money. I think we probably have the right balance now. We'll pay the right head coach or coordinators and we're going to have to trust them to manage other assistants that move on to advance their career, which they largely will do regardless of money. IT just hurts when they take the same level job at another program because they'll pay more.

Now if the Pirate cruises to 8-2 this year, we might should pony up for all the assistants Leach trusts. At that point, we'll have a pretty good indication we are getting our money's worth. And Leach I don't think is going to ask to be the highest paid HC, so I think we'll be able to justify ponying up for the assistants he says are worth it.
    IIRCC - our salary pool was larger than WSU's - and most of the offensive guys came with Leach, so we are probably pretty good for a couple of years. We HAVE to keep some stability on the defensive side of the ball. I would love for Arnett and this core group to stay 3-4 years and build.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    IIRCC - our salary pool was larger than WSU's - and most of the offensive guys came with Leach, so we are probably pretty good for a couple of years. We HAVE to keep some stability on the defensive side of the ball. I would love for Arnett and this core group to stay 3-4 years and build.
    I think we have learned our lesson for DC. We are great testing ground for DCs. If a DC comes here and is successful, they're going to be attractive to blue blood programs. The only way to not lose them constantly is to pay them enough that blue bloods can't easily poach them. If they decide they want them and will pay to get them, that's fine. But they aren't going to open up the vault to come get somebody after two years of success here. If they do it after four, that's fine, but at that point, any successful DC here will probably be thinking head coach as their next option.

Right now we're paying Arnette $900k, and realistically probably a little over $1M if he is doing well enough that other teams will want him. That's basically middle of the SEC. IF he does well this year, we're going to have to get ready to pay him in the $1.5M range. Maybe not immediately b/c COVID might suppress the market for a year or so, but if we have two good years of defense, we'll need to be there and maybe north of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Here's something no ones mentioned. The no name walk-on safety Londin Craft actually played a pretty good game. Guy is quick, hustled to the ball and hit pretty dang good. Coaching is the difference guys. We got us a HC and a staff of good ones!
    Good safety...and an even better local, IPA brew!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I think we have learned our lesson for DC. We are great testing ground for DCs. If a DC comes here and is successful, they're going to be attractive to blue blood programs. The only way to not lose them constantly is to pay them enough that blue bloods can't easily poach them. If they decide they want them and will pay to get them, that's fine. But they aren't going to open up the vault to come get somebody after two years of success here. If they do it after four, that's fine, but at that point, any successful DC here will probably be thinking head coach as their next option.

Right now we're paying Arnette $900k, and realistically probably a little over $1M if he is doing well enough that other teams will want him. That's basically middle of the SEC. IF he does well this year, we're going to have to get ready to pay him in the $1.5M range. Maybe not immediately b/c COVID might suppress the market for a year or so, but if we have two good years of defense, we'll need to be there and maybe north of that.
    I think it is most important to maintain our DC and our passing game coordinator (outside of HC, of course). Consistency at the DC position is huge for a teams success. It's incredible that our defensive unit has maintained it's average to higher output over the past 6 years with so many changes at DC.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I will say this about Guidry. He reps MSU well. After his playing days he rode in a parade decked out in his MSU uniform and he was on twitter pumped about our win. It's more than I will say about some of our former players who even got drafted last year while using MSU to get there. Guidry is a bulldog that gave it what he had. If he would have had Mike Leach instead of Moorhead he may be in the NFL right now instead of opting out of a practice squad role. I don't really have a problem with anyone complaining about his play. Just thought I would throw that out there and give him some cred for being all dawg.