Thread: Bad ballots in the AP poll

vCash

Bad ballots in the AP poll

As usual, a lot of the voters are really lazy and may not have even be aware of our games. And unsurprisingly, Parrish Alford underranks us. What a clown.

I've identified 3 groups of teams that should clearly be ranked below us:
    • LSU - obviously. Maybe over the course of the year, their resume will be better than ours, but not yet.
    • Several non-P5 teams that fail both the eye test (clearly none of these teams would go into Tiger Stadium and win) and the resume test (these teams have - AT BEST - beaten up on other bad teams:
      • Army - beat Middle Tennessee and Louisiana-Monroe and then lost to Cincinnati
      • BYU - blew out a bad Navy team and Troy. Not impressed yet.
      • Louisiana-Lafayette - The Iowa State win was good, but then they needed overtime to beat Georgia State and a 53-yard field goal to beat Georgia Southern.
      • Marshall - beat Eastern Kentucky and Appalachian State. Big whoop.
      • SMU - beat Texas State, North Texas, and Stephen F. Austin and that's enough to get votes??
      • UAB - got blown out by Miami and beat Central Arkansas and South Alabama. OK, why would anyone rank them?
    • Big 10/Pac-12 teams. I realize that they're allowed to be ranked, and I won't fault the voters for including them necessarily, since SEC teams were included last week before we had played, but come on, Minnesota, USC, Iowa, Utah, Washington?

Unfortunately, many writers ranked us below LSU, or below some of the other teams. You can see the regional bias of many of the voters. A lot of these should just be embarrassed. I'm fairly certain that most of these near the top of the chart either forgot or never knew that we beat LSU yesterday.

vCash
    Dang. Does that mean Brett McMurphy put us 5th?

Also, the AP should just be shut down. Get real people who actually watch what's going on across the nation
    Last edited by Bdawg; 09-27-2020 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    Dang. Does that mean Brett McMurphy put us 5th?
    Yep. As I recall, he was an early believer in us in 2014 and always ranked us well in 2017 too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Yep. As I recall, he was an early believer in us in 2014 and always ranked us well in 2017 too.
    Rece Davis is another that has always given us our due - going back to the Jackie era. He has us 8th.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I know we've gone on a twitter rampage before on specific folks that did some piss poor voting.

Anyone planning on doing that again? Would love to get responses from these voters as to why they voted like they did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I know we've gone on a twitter rampage before on specific folks that did some piss poor voting.

Anyone planning on doing that again? Would love to get responses from these voters as to why they voted like they did.
    They should have to answer for their shi* voting. People like that cost you spots in the polls and the notoriety that come with it. We don't need to miss any opportunities to raise the perception of our program. Only helps more in recruiting, so piss on those guys that don't do their job.

vCash
    I'm not mad at Northern writers for over-ranking Big 10 teams, I get it. I do wish the Mississippi writer, Parrish Alford, didn't constantly tank us in his ballots. He's done the same thing in previous years.

vCash
    Only one poll that matters these two are eye candy until it comes out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I'm not mad at Northern writers for over-ranking Big 10 teams, I get it. I do wish the Mississippi writer, Parrish Alford, didn't constantly tank us in his ballots. He's done the same thing in previous years.
    The guys not ranking us at all are ridiculous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg View Post
    The guys not ranking us at all are ridiculous.
    Parrish Alford is more egregious. You know his spiteful ass watched our game.

vCash
    parish Alford is a rebel what do you expect from that douchebag

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Only one poll that matters these two are eye candy until it comes out.
    That's not true. The rankings drive the TV and media exposure for every team.

If every voter who put LSU in front of us had given us that slot, we would be ranked #12 right now and that much closer to being a top 10 team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Parrish Alford is more egregious. You know his spiteful ass watched our game.
    Yeah. He a bitc*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    This is true. I wouldn't expect a high ranking from the Mannings either although it might be more likely.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Look, keep winning. That is all.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    This will always be the case. It's why they use so many.

Banned
    vCash
    There's 14 voters on there that should have their vote revoked. LSU has played 1 game and got trounced at home. How are they above the team that beat them? That is what we call literally not doing your job.

vCash
    Journalism is such a bullshit career nowadays.

vCash
    Exactly, he is an OM fan boy posing as a journalist. Is he really the only AP voter from MS? That stinks.

vCash
    Parish covers the Rebels and sucks from their teat. But he grew up in Louisiana and loved the Tigahs as a boy.