Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun, Coach, Devious

vCash

Shotgun, Coach, Devious

Please give us your analysis to agree with or argue about.

vCash
    - We've got a 1st round QB, possibly the #2 QB in the country. Fields doesn't throw as well as Costello
    - We've got a good OL
    - We've got the best offensive coach of this era
    - We've got an above average kicking game
    - We can strike from anyway on the field.
    - We made numerous mistakes that will be cleaned up and 60 burgers could be coming soon.
    - Not sure SEC defenses are built to deal with this and they'll only have 1 week to prepare.

- Arnett is a hell of a coach but his scheme has holes. He'll have to stay creative and make sure he doesn't fall into tendencies.
    - With this offense, the key this year will be stops not yards given up. It's why the 7 sacks were huge yesterday

- Leach has BY FAR the best players of his career.
    - before I can predict a win/loss record, I need to see what we look like when someone has a good defensive plan. It won't always be this easy. Someone will throw a knuckle ball

This wasn't a fluke. More of just a revelation.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-27-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    - We've got a 1st round QB, possibly the #2 QB in the country. Fields doesn't throw as well as Costello
    - We've got a good OL
    - We made numerous mistakes that will be cleaned up and 60 burgers could be coming soon.
    - Not sure SEC defenses are built to deal with this and they'll only have 1 week to prepare.

- Arnett is a hell of a coach but his scheme has holes. He'll have to stay creative and make sure he doesn't fall into tendencies.
    - With this offense, the key this year will be stops not yards given up. It's why the 7 sacks were huge yesterday

- before I can predict a win/loss record, I need to see what we look like when someone has a good defensive plan. It won't always be this easy. Someone will throw a knuckle ball

Time for our big donors to make sure KJ stays one more year so we win a natty next year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    Time for our big donors to make sure KJ stays one more year so we win a natty next year
    This is his last year of eligibility

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Actually, the NCAA has said this year does not count for eligibility. Doesn't matter though, because he will be in the NFL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Actually, the NCAA has said this year does not count for eligibility. Doesn't matter though, because he will be in the NFL.
    Top 5 pick unless some team finds a fatal flaw I don't see

His game kind of reminds me of Roethlisberger to some degree. The way he throws.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    covid

vCash
    Top 5 pick unless some team finds a fatal flaw I don't see

His game kind of reminds me of Roethlisberger to some degree. The way he throws.
    I don't think he's top 5, but yeah should be a day one pick.

vCash
    I expect to see more zone defenses thrown at us. Yesterday showed lining up man to man isn't going to work as long as KJ has time to throw. Our receivers are light years better than past years.

Marks has to get better at pass protection but I expect he will.

I'm not a "he needs to run the ball more" guy however I would have liked to see a couple more runs yesterday especially in the 4th quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Brain fart, thanks

vCash
    I don't think he's top 5, but yeah should be a day one pick.
    Costello or Fields and why?

And I'm not saying that Costello is definitely better. Just saying that it's a real conversation.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 09-27-2020 at 11:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I expect to see more zone defenses thrown at us. Yesterday showed lining up man to man isn't going to work as long as KJ has time to throw. Our receivers are light years better than past years.

Marks has to get better at pass protection but I expect he will.

I'm not a "he needs to run the ball more" guy however I would have liked to see a couple more runs yesterday especially in the 4th quarter.
    zone , man, it's all the same to this offense. You just have to protect and execute better than whatever the D is in. If not, it won't be to good.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Costello or Fields and why?

And I'm not saying that Costello is definitely better. Just saying that it's a real conversation.
    Just barring a major meltdown I think 3 of the top 5 are locked in with Fields, Lawrence and Sewell. No matter what KJ does, people are going to chalk it up to the system, not the QB. Plus if Gardner ends up sucking this year it'll hurt him. Not saying it's right, and yes KJ is clearly way way more NFL prototypical than Minshew. But hey I'd love to be wrong, would be great to have him go top 5, and have 2 QBs in the NFL.

vCash
    Just barring a major meltdown I think 3 of the top 5 are locked in with Fields, Lawrence and Sewell. No matter what KJ does, people are going to chalk it up to the system, not the QB. Plus if Gardner ends up sucking this year it'll hurt him. Not saying it's right, and yes KJ is clearly way way more NFL prototypical than Minshew. But hey I'd love to be wrong, would be great to have him go top 5, and have 2 QBs in the NFL.
    Much of the nfl runs versions of the air raid.

No shot Sewell goes above KJ if KJ continues to play well. No chance.

Stop reading preseason mock drafts and use your brain.

vCash
    Much of the nfl runs versions of the air raid.

No shot Sewell goes above KJ if KJ continues to play well. No chance.

Stop reading preseason mock drafts and use your brain.
    Top 5 picks will be Giants, Jets, Panthers and 2 others. 2 of the teams won't need a QB. Sewell is going top 5. Use your brain.

vCash
    Top 5 picks will be Giants, Jets, Panthers and 2 others. 2 of the teams won't need a QB. Sewell is going top 5. Use your brain.
    Ok.

vCash
    - We've got a good OL

The curveball that has been thrown at him in the past was teams rushing 3 and playing a dime with 4 cornerbacks that can cover and giving the under routes and jumping on them. Read the articles in Washington figuring out the Air Raid - dime rushing 3 with 8 in zone.

What made it work is that the Huskies had massive talent advantages on both the line and the edge. They were playing future pro or pro prospects on the D line and the secondary and were able to get pressure with only 3.

Those Washington State guys were 2, low 3 star and very few of them got pro looks. You give Leach equal talent or even just close the gap and he will take advantage. He needs his qb to have at least 2.5 seconds of clean pocket. If he gets it, he is hard to beat.

Compare that to the parade of talent the blue blood coaches have had, playing maybe 1-2 games a year against teams with equal talent. Apologies to Saban but he could not have won with the talent Leach has had. He of course would have recruited better talent and won that way but not with a huge gap.

Mummie said yesterday that he has said for a long time Leach is the best coach in college football. If there is a star-for-Star coaching weighting similar to pound-for-pound fighters, you cannot really argue the point. He has succeeded despite a large talent disadvantage consistently.

He is at State to prove he is the best coach in college football right now, and maybe ever. Not off to a bad start.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 09-27-2020 at 12:24 PM.

vCash
    The Air Raid has also produced Patrick Mahomes, Mayfield, and others. System is only in question if you are running Army's offense.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    The curveball that has been thrown at him in the past was teams rushing 3 and playing a dime with 4 cornerbacks that can cover and giving the under routes and jumping on them. Read the articles in Washington figuring out the Air Raid - dime rushing 3 with 8 in zone.

What made it work is that the Huskies had massive talent advantages on both the line and the edge. They were playing future pro or pro prospects on the D line and the secondary and were able to get pressure with only 3.

Those Washington State guys were 2, low 3 star and very few of them got pro looks. You give Leach equal talent or even just close the gap and he will take advantage. He needs his qb to have at least 2.5 seconds of clean pocket. If he gets it, he is hard to beat.

Compare that to the parade of talent the blue blood coaches have had, playing maybe 1-2 games a year against teams with equal talent. Apologies to Saban but he could not have won with the talent Leach has had. He of course would have recruited better talent and won that way but not with a huge gap.

Mummie said yesterday that he has said for a long time Leach is the best coach in college football. If there is a star-for-Star coaching weighting similar to pound-for-pound fighters, you cannot really argue the point. He has succeeded despite a large talent disadvantage consistently.

He is at State to prove he is the best coach in college football right now, and maybe ever. Not off to a bad start.

Leach is proving that a lot of big time college football coaches are nothing more than used car salesmen in 2020. There is no skill involved in stacking 5 stars on top of 5 stars and just rolling out the helmets and beating the shit out of everyone you play. Recruiting has become ten times more important than actual coaching ability. Tennessee’s dumbass coach doesn’t even know what asparagus is. LSU won a national title with that clown that Leach just pants’ed yesterday. Dabo Sweeney is Hugh Freeze that hasn’t been caught. You put Leach on equal recruiting grounds with any of these people and he embarrasses them 10 times out of 10. He’s good enough with our talent to do it more times than not to most people we play.
    Last edited by Jarius; 09-27-2020 at 12:48 PM.

vCash
    - We've got a good OL

Agree on most accounts.

I think our kicking game may be great not just above average. With the way we score, touchbacks are important and we are kicking through endzone every time. FG look strong too. We got a winner and big surprise there.

OL is very good and has potential to be great. Clean up the center stuff and RT getting beat by rush end. Cross looks to be the real deal. Cross put on some lbs too. He looks NFL ready in a year or two. Inside OL looks solid.

As crazy as it sounds, we still have lot of upside. We gave LSU a lot and were still dominant. The talking heads only want to talk about LSU losing talent. Gary D spent the whole broadcast yesterday making excuses for LSU. No explanation, we are better than LSU, period and potentially a lot more.

Arnett called great game. Depth and injuries concern me. Also a team that pounds the ball could be a challenge. Our secondary even though LSU had success, we were in position most of the time. Our young secondary looked promising.

One thing to watch for is who our opponents play the week before us. If they play a running team, the adjustment to us might be a shock in our favor.