Thread: Just made it back from the game!

vCash

Just made it back from the game!

I didn't expect us to win. I expected the defense to look Sirmon bad and us to score some point and leave Baton Rouge with another loss and some silver lining.

Clearly I was wrong!

We set a school...excuse me SEC record for passing. Against a school that calls itself DB U. On their field. And here's the thing that's REALLY scary for the rest of the SEC- we have to room to grow and room for improvement. We did have a few first game jitters and too many turnovers. But we also scored 44 points. It was SOOOOOO nice to be in 3rd and 15 and not just automatically feel like we were definitely about to punt. We didn't convert them all- but I felt like we had a chance.

Leach's offense is all about that. We will not win every game- even Saban loses games from time to time- but at least going into every game I will at least feel like we have a decent chance to win. Even under Jackie and Dan I didn't always feel that way. And that's all I really expect is to have a chance to win and have a good product on the field that is respectable. That's what I saw today.

Defensively it was fun to see how Joe Lee Dunn's defense has evolved into what guys like Rocky Long and now Arnett do with it today with more coverages. I thought the defense was OK. They played hard and it didn't seem like we missed a ton of tackles and we got a couple of key interceptions. This defense will never be confused for 1999 or 2018- but I do think that they will be comparable to 1996 where we installed a new system and took some lumps but the second half of the year we got better and ended up being solid. Yes, LSU had a couple of long drives and they did beat Peters a couple of times. Those things are going to happen. They also stopped LSU at times when we really needed it and brought the wood at times. Quite frankly- our defense outhit LSU. I didn't like Forbes penalty and Peters should have stayed away from the guy he lit up at the end of the game. So like the offense there is room for improvement and things to clean up.

I thought the special teams unit was very good. Yes, we fair caught a punt inside the five. But for the most part Ruiz was an automatic touchback and he made all of his kicks. Day did OK. He probably would like to have his 37 yarder back. We didn't really return kicks but I think that is more a credit to LSU who has a good special teams unit themselves. Let's be honest though- this was another area of improvement after the cluster under Joe.

Mike Leach is the coach our players and fans deserve. He runs our team with discipline. The S&C improvement was obvious. Those things make a big difference in the SEC. Our players deserve a coach that is going to actually coach them and put them in a position to succeed. To me 2018-2019 was a complete waste and I feel bad for guys like Sweat, Simmons, and Abrams that could have been part of a special team and it didn't happen because we hired a guy that wanted to be everyone's friend. I feel bad for our fans because I feel like we missed out on something special too. Our players and fans deserve a coach that wants to be at MSU unlike Dan Mullen. That said, Leach has taken a really good first step to fixing the wrongs of the past. Today reminded me a lot of when Jackie beat Texas in 1991. I'm looking forward to a LOT of days like today! Hail State!

vCash
    Good post, Todd. I'm envious you were actually there to experience it.

vCash
    Good post, and special teams did look good. Ruiz looks very good.

vCash
    I've been very fortunate to see most of the memorable msu games these last 30 years. If there was one I wish I'd seen, it very well may have been this one.

I agree with most of what you said as well.

And speaking of Peters getting beat, be was in good position to make a play. Sometimes you lose 5050 balls. Our defense plays with a chip. We've had more talented units. But this team plays like dogs. And all that youth will get better.

We even kicked it in the endzone. Shit that an improvement before the ball is snapped.

Hey high school seniors, want to have fun fun playing football?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Good post, Todd. I'm envious you were actually there to experience it.
    I was VERY lucky and it was very last minute. One of my good friends texted me like Thursday "Hey, if I can get tickets do you want to go?" I was like YES.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I didn't expect us to win. I expected the defense to look Sirmon bad and us to score some point and leave Baton Rouge with another loss and some silver lining.

Clearly I was wrong!

We set a school...excuse me SEC record for passing. Against a school that calls itself DB U. On their field. And here's the thing that's REALLY scary for the rest of the SEC- we have to room to grow and room for improvement. We did have a few first game jitters and too many turnovers. But we also scored 44 points. It was SOOOOOO nice to be in 3rd and 15 and not just automatically feel like we were definitely about to punt. We didn't convert them all- but I felt like we had a chance.

Leach's offense is all about that. We will not win every game- even Saban loses games from time to time- but at least going into every game I will at least feel like we have a decent chance to win. Even under Jackie and Dan I didn't always feel that way. And that's all I really expect is to have a chance to win and have a good product on the field that is respectable. That's what I saw today.

Defensively it was fun to see how Joe Lee Dunn's defense has evolved into what guys like Rocky Long and now Arnett do with it today with more coverages. I thought the defense was OK. They played hard and it didn't seem like we missed a ton of tackles and we got a couple of key interceptions. This defense will never be confused for 1999 or 2018- but I do think that they will be comparable to 1996 where we installed a new system and took some lumps but the second half of the year we got better and ended up being solid. Yes, LSU had a couple of long drives and they did beat Peters a couple of times. Those things are going to happen. They also stopped LSU at times when we really needed it and brought the wood at times. Quite frankly- our defense outhit LSU. I didn't like Forbes penalty and Peters should have stayed away from the guy he lit up at the end of the game. So like the offense there is room for improvement and things to clean up.

I thought the special teams unit was very good. Yes, we fair caught a punt inside the five. But for the most part Ruiz was an automatic touchback and he made all of his kicks. Day did OK. He probably would like to have his 37 yarder back. We didn't really return kicks but I think that is more a credit to LSU who has a good special teams unit themselves. Let's be honest though- this was another area of improvement after the cluster under Joe.

Mike Leach is the coach our players and fans deserve. He runs our team with discipline. The S&C improvement was obvious. Those things make a big difference in the SEC. Our players deserve a coach that is going to actually coach them and put them in a position to succeed. To me 2018-2019 was a complete waste and I feel bad for guys like Sweat, Simmons, and Abrams that could have been part of a special team and it didn't happen because we hired a guy that wanted to be everyone's friend. I feel bad for our fans because I feel like we missed out on something special too. Our players and fans deserve a coach that wants to be at MSU unlike Dan Mullen. That said, Leach has taken a really good first step to fixing the wrongs of the past. Today reminded me a lot of when Jackie beat Texas in 1991. I'm looking forward to a LOT of days like today! Hail State!
    Ruiz is a difference maker for us.. with all the young guys and lack of depth it’s huge this guy pumps kickoffs in the stands..

vCash
    Today reminded me a lot of when Jackie beat Texas in 1991. I'm looking forward to a LOT of days like today! Hail State!

Agree totally. That game brought back winning to MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Ruiz is a difference maker for us.. with all the young guys and lack of depth it’s huge this guy pumps kickoffs in the stands..
    Exactly, it's also why I'm fine with fair catching unless a good return is obvious. We can't afford injuries

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by coastratdog View Post
    Today reminded me a lot of when Jackie beat Texas in 1991. I'm looking forward to a LOT of days like today! Hail State!

Agree totally. That game brought back winning to MSU.
    I thought the same thing. I was there as a student in 1991 that day. My daughter text me telling me how Starkville was going nuts after the game. Brought back good vibes.

vCash
    You were very fortunate to see a big win like that in person. I know tailgating is out on all campuses but what did it look like around campus? Did it have any resemblance of a game day atmosphere?