Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KJ Costello: "The switch flipped for me and the team."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    The thing about a great corner is they still can only make the game 10 on 10. A great DT can eat up a double team and/or completely alter the playbook. CBs can only eliminate 1 WR.

Can our OL block their DL? Can Costello make reads at game speed and be accurate? Can Hill do anything against whatever LB is on him? Can WRs 2-4 get open vs no their safeties and no. 2 CB?

Thats what will decide our offense. Not Stingley eliminating Heath/Shavers, which i expect him to do
    I think there's a lot more to it than that. If you have a true shutdown CB, he can cover half or a third of the field allowing safeties to slide over to the other side. It affects a lot more than just making it 10 on 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    If that is true, I look for Kylin to have 200 yards on dump offs. Seriously 200 yards.
    This all day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCoachKlein View Post
    I think there's a lot more to it than that. If you have a true shutdown CB, he can cover half or a third of the field allowing safeties to slide over to the other side. It affects a lot more than just making it 10 on 10.
    That really depends on what offense a team runs. He can?t shut down a third of the field with spread 4 WR sets and a back who will be running a ton of routes in this system. Even a great shut down corner can?t cut off that much of the field vs this type of system.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 09-23-2020 at 01:40 PM.

vCash
    I think we need to dial it down a bit. I agree that LSU shouldn't be the measuring stick of this team. It is a win win. If we do manage to come out and score points we can all be pleased. But, if we don't and the O struggles a bit it isn't the end of the world and we don't need to immediately go to "well this experiment isn't going to work.". Tempered reasonable expectations where we see significant improvement over last year should be the goal. Ill be more than pleased if we play tough and physical on Defense and limit the false starts and delay of games on offense. Fix those two things and I will be happy after week 1.

If we manage to pull an upset that will just be icing on the cake.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    LSU was a fringe top 25 defense last year and lost 9 starters and a shit ton of key depth pieces to the draft or opt outs. They aren't going to be a great defense and have a ton of question marks. Our offensive line matches up extremely well against their front 7 and we will be able to move the ball consistently on them. The game will be decided by the LSU quarterback. If the guy who State and OM passed on and hasn't been any good for the first 4 years of his college career can just be average, LSU will win the game. We need him to stink it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I think we need to dial it down a bit. I agree that LSU shouldn't be the measuring stick of this team. It is a win win. If we do manage to come out and score points we can all be pleased. But, if we don't and the O struggles a bit it isn't the end of the world and we don't need to immediately go to "well this experiment isn't going to work.". Tempered reasonable expectations where we see significant improvement over last year should be the goal. Ill be more than pleased if we play tough and physical on Defense and limit the false starts and delay of games on offense. Fix those two things and I will be happy after week 1.

If we manage to pull an upset that will just be icing on the cake.
    THIS. If we pull the upset then that'll be great. But a loss, unless it's a blowout where we can't move the ball and we make Brennan look like Burrow 2.0, doesn't sink the season. I'm looking more towards week by week improvement and hoping we're full throttle by A&M. That's a toss up for us that we need to have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    THIS. If we pull the upset then that'll be great. But a loss, unless it's a blowout where we can't move the ball and we make Brennan look like Burrow 2.0, doesn't sink the season. I'm looking more towards week by week improvement and hoping we're full throttle by A&M. That's a toss up for us that we need to have.
    I don't think we beat LSU but it's going to be a close game. We are going to feel really good about what this team can accomplish as the season progresses while the Bayou folk have a meltdown b/c they didn't stomp a mud hole in our butts and dominate us for four quarters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    LSU was a fringe top 25 defense last year and lost 9 starters and a shit ton of key depth pieces to the draft or opt outs. They aren't going to be a great defense and have a ton of question marks. Our offensive line matches up extremely well against their front 7 and we will be able to move the ball consistently on them. The game will be decided by the LSU quarterback. If the guy who State and OM passed on and hasn't been any good for the first 4 years of his college career can just be average, LSU will win the game. We need him to stink it up.
    Was LSU really fringe top 25? Or were they a really good defense whose stats didn't look as good b/c their offense got off the filed quickly and they let up a lot in blowouts?

Honest question, I really didn't pay attention to their D last year.

Regardless, they've lost a lot. But at the same time, we still don't have anyone who is even shown to be an above average SEC WR. I'm not sure we have a WR who has shown he's even average. And we're running a passing offense.

I've glad we've got LEach and the air raid and am optimistic about what he'll be able to do, but we still have offensive personnel that are more suited to a run first offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Well one side of the field is taken away already because make no mistake you're not going to rudely awaken Derek Stingley. HE IS the best CB in college football. He would've been a top 5 pick last year. We're going to have success, but I don't think this game needs to be the measuring stick for this offense. We need to be able to throw short and exploit their LBers in zone for success. They'll be man on the corners with help over the top.
    We will have 5 guys in the pattern. Stingley can only cover one guy.

If LSU is in man, leach will run mesh, stick, and 6 all day. That will have Hill man to man with a LB, I'll take that all day.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Was LSU really fringe top 25? Or were they a really good defense whose stats didn't look as good b/c their offense got off the filed quickly and they let up a lot in blowouts?

Honest question, I really didn't pay attention to their D last year.

Regardless, they've lost a lot. But at the same time, we still don't have anyone who is even shown to be an above average SEC WR. I'm not sure we have a WR who has shown he's even average. And we're running a passing offense.

I've glad we've got LEach and the air raid and am optimistic about what he'll be able to do, but we still have offensive personnel that are more suited to a run first offense.
    They gave up a lot of points to a lot of bad teams. 37 to Ole Miss. 38 to Vandy. 41 to Alabama (who is great but still). 38 to Texas. 20 to Arkansas. 20 to Auburn.

They lost nearly everyone off a defense that gave that up on a consistent basis. They aren’t better and were not great last year. The defense got bailed out by the best offense college football has ever seen. They were not shutting these teams down in the first half and letting them explode in the second half outside of Ole Miss, who absolutely shredded them in the second half.
    Last edited by Jarius; 09-23-2020 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    I imagine we'll dink and dunk a lot this game to get some confidence going. There's a lot of that in this offense. That's what I think KJ meant by "take what they give you and take it now" too. Someone will be open, it's getting the ball out and trying to get yac most of the time.

vCash
    I don't know why they just don't let him play by himself or pick two or three to help him and save the rest for a real opponent.

vCash
    IF they do that, we'll run shavers/heath/whoeverstingleyison deep every play. Then throw it to hill 1v1 with a LB underneath on that side that is "shut down" since the safties have shifted to the other side. Now we have our RB in the open field. I'll take that 15/10 times. Hill will have 300 yards.

vCash
    I know one thing. I watched Leach take a mediocre WSU team to Auburn a few years ago and with a mediocre at best qb give Auburn all they wanted. Might've beat auburn without all the ints. Leach knows how to pick apart even the best defenses. Now how many points our defense gives up is a different story. It could be a basketball score 😂

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I know one thing. I watched Leach take a mediocre WSU team to Auburn a few years ago and with a mediocre at best qb give Auburn all they wanted. Might've beat auburn without all the ints. Leach knows how to pick apart even the best defenses. Now how many points our defense gives up is a different story. It could be a basketball score ��
    I think our offense will keep us in it. Might come down to which QB makes the most mistakes. I like our guy.

vCash
    Again LSU is 3 years out from losing to us 37-7 and home loss to Troy.
    They wanted O ass gone.
    That team was arguably more talented than the team they have this year
    They have lost their DC Aranda and QB coach ( basically their OC ) Brady
    And lost over 3/4 of their starting line up on both defense and offense

The 2019 LSU team could be considered the best team this decade but
    LSU isn’t Bama or Clemson.. they aren’t even close.. one year doesn’t make you a dynasty
    Let’s see what happens.. give me that 17.5 all day and what the hell give me some of that ML

Yes our Def is. A HUGE question mark .. but they lost damn near their starting 11and prob a couple of 2 deeps on D as well

outside of WR ( maybe) They have Terrance Marshall retuning, we check every box on offense vs LSU
    Qb check
    Rb Check
    OL check
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 09-23-2020 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I think our offense will keep us in it. Might come down to which QB makes the most mistakes. I like our guy.
    I like our guy and our chances too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Again LSU is 3 years out from losing to us 37-7 and home loss to Troy.
    They wanted O ass gone.
    That team was arguably more talented than the team they have this year
    They have lost their DC Aranda and QB coach ( basically their OC ) Brady
    And lost over 3/4 of their starting line up on both defense and offense

The 2019 LSU team could be considered the best team this decade but
    LSU isn’t Bama or Clemson.. they aren’t even close.. one year doesn’t make you a dynasty
    Let’s see what happens.. give me that 17.5 all day and what the hell give me some of that ML

Yes our Def is. A HUGE question mark .. but they lost damn near their starting 11and prob a couple of 2 deeps on D as well

outside of WR ( maybe) They have Terrance Marshall retuning, we check every box on offense vs LSU
    Qb check
    Rb Check
    OL check
    I would feel a lot better about that if we had an offense that won't just jam it down people's throat. Again, I'm glad we have Leach and the air raid, but my understanding is that Leach won't just run it down people's throat and if the numbers dictate passing, he's going to pass.

vCash
    The match-up is our O vs their D- we will score some points for sure.

Their O vs our D- their OL will handle our DL and they will rape our Secondary.

We may cover the 17 for sure because of all their new faces. But I'll be beyond shocked if we win this game
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    They gave up a lot of points to a lot of bad teams. 37 to Ole Miss. 38 to Vandy. 41 to Alabama (who is great but still). 38 to Texas. 20 to Arkansas. 20 to Auburn.

They lost nearly everyone off a defense that gave that up on a consistent basis. They aren’t better and were not great last year. The defense got bailed out by the best offense college football has ever seen. They were not shutting these teams down in the first half and letting them explode in the second half outside of Ole Miss, who absolutely shredded them in the second half.
    LSU got WAY better near the end of the season- they held A&M and UGA to 7 and 10 points, which is impressive given they were blowouts. Then they held offensive juggernauts OU and CLemson to 28 and 25, which is the lowest point total of the season for either team. Clemson scored 29 on OSU in the semis so LSU's end of year D is about comparable to OSU's.

They still weren't the best, but end of year LSU D was a top 5-10 D. Their season stats don't reflect that