Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How MSU can Easily Beat the 3-8

vCash

How MSU can Easily Beat the 3-8

Just watched Wyatt's video.

Everyone keeps saying run it more but I disagree. When watching Wyatt's video, all we simply have to do to beat the 3-8 is make the RB the first read.

On all these plays, if the ball is dumped to the RB quickly, he's got a full head of steam and 10 yards in front of him. What we did, however, was look deep and check down to the RB after he lost his full head of steam.

On MSU's 1st drive against KY, if we'll just make the RB the 1st read, it's over and they'll be out of 3-8 real fast

Watch this video and see for yourself.

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    1. Losing Hill killed us. Especially late when we had multiple shots in red zone. But hey, next man up. I thought Johnson looked good and Mark's had his moments.

2. Our receivers have really never seen a defensive gameplan like that. Finding zone soft spots is a skill. We started pressing offensively.

3. I agree on the first read comment.

4. I also wish we would be more creative when we do run and attack the left and right tackle of the LOS.

5. I also thought a jet sweep to a WR in motion would have been effective given their alignment.

I trust the coaching staff and they will adjust. Our offense will also gradually get more comfortable facing alignments geared toward keeping the ball in front.

vCash
    This, what I've been saying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    1. Losing Hill killed us. Especially late when we had multiple shots in red zone. But hey, next man up. I thought Johnson looked good and Mark's had his moments.

2. Our receivers have really never seen a defensive gameplan like that. Finding zone soft spots is a skill. We started pressing offensively.

3. I agree on the first read comment.

4. I also wish we would be more creative when we do run and attack the left and right tackle of the LOS.

5. I also thought a jet sweep to a WR in motion would have been effective given their alignment.

I trust the coaching staff and they will adjust. Our offense will also gradually get more comfortable facing alignments geared toward keeping the ball in front.
    I keep seeing this, but surely Leach practices it... as he expects most teams to run a zone D. This wasn't on our receivers, but, IMO, a QB that wasn't patient and wanted the BIG play and thus forced a lot of throws that he didn't have to.

I agree w/ you and 'Gun in the fact that losing Hill killed us, in spite of the turnovers. Against UK, I would run sweeps and quick hits to KH all game until they change their D. He'll gain 5-10 yds every time against a 3-8.

vCash
    The rain might win this game. I think we will be playing in a monsoon. Does that help or hurt us? I'm worried that the air raid will not work in this game. UK is a running team. They will likely win.

vCash
    Gonna be wet- advantage Kentucky.

But we should be the better team.

Makes for a fun watch
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm seeing a lot of losing Hill hurt us, but it really shouldn't matter who the RB is. He's wide ass open. Make him the 1st read and after 3-4 straight easy 10 yards gains, they'll be forced out of the 3-8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    This wasn't on our receivers, but, IMO, a QB that wasn't patient and wanted the BIG play and thus forced a lot of throws that he didn't have to.
    I agree. He got used to big play after big play down in Baton Rouge, and tried to replicate that, but ended up forcing things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm seeing a lot of losing Hill hurt us, but it really shouldn't matter who the RB is. He's wide ass open. Make him the 1st read and after 3-4 straight easy 10 yards gains, they'll be forced out of the 3-8
    Good observations.

vCash
    I don't understand the fear of the 3-8. We could get 5 yards every play on the dump down the other night. We didn't but could have. If we ran it for 5 a pop every play people would come unglued if we ever threw it!! Just take what's there and go w it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't understand the fear of the 3-8. We could get 5 yards every play on the dump down the other night. We didn't but could have. If we ran it for 5 a pop every play people would come unglued if we ever threw it!! Just take what's there and go w it.
    The 3-8 isn't fearful. We just didn't attack it right.

In reality, it Leach's fault. He should've told KJ after the first series to 17 the play and just dump it to the RB immediately

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    THIS! And this is why I'm not too concerned about our offense. Costello will either learn from Arkansas or he will sit.

The 3-8 isn't fearful. We just didn't attack it right.

In reality, it Leach's fault. He should've told KJ after the first series to 17 the play and just dump it to the RB immediately
    After watching Wyatt's video it looks like KJ was late on a lot of throws that were there as well.

vCash
    Our RB's fell down when the Arkansas defenders looked at us with a mean face. Kylin would have stomped a mud hole in their asses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Our RB's fell down when the Arkansas defenders looked at us with a mean face. Kylin would have stomped a mud hole in their asses.
    Agree, but Arkansas wouldn't have touched the RB for 8 yards with a quick pass

vCash
    One thing I noticed too was that K.J. had all day to throw, and could have used some pump fakes to get the defenders moving the wrong way. It takes a little extra time for that, but he had plenty of it. Arkansas was reacting so quickly to the ball that a pump fake now and then could have made them pay for that.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Not true. You obviously missed the TD run. KJ held onto it too long before dumping It off. AR also apparently knew our signals. Also, our OL got killed when we tried to run it. On the 4th plays, they knew our play and brought pressure too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Not true. You obviously missed the TD run. KJ held onto it too long before dumping It off. AR also apparently knew our signals. Also, our OL got killed when we tried to run it. On the 4th plays, they knew our play and brought pressure too.
    You must have watched the Hail State highlights instead of the game I watched.

vCash
    There were tons of guys open. KJ just has to anticipate and hit the guys in the open spots between the zones and like you said if anything else hit the running back. I saw where a lot of our linemen missed blocks during the running plays. A good block here and there and we spring one loose for a big gain. Just clean it up and execute and we will going away easily.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I take them stealing signals with a grain of salt. Hell, when Leach was at WSU he basically told the DC what was coming and they couldn't stop it. Think it was against ASU. Let me see if I can find it.

vCash
    They supposedly knew our signals and still gave up over 400 yards of offense. That's terrible. If I were them I probably would have kept that nugget to myself.

Our struggles were almost 100% self-inflicted; end of story.