Thread: We have a completely new team this year

vCash

We have a completely new team this year

QB- Last year it was Stevens and Shrader. Now it's Costello and Rogers.

RB- Hill is coming back- and he was a guy that we all thought might leave. And he's one of the few things on the offense that is the same! Marks is going to be a great player too. And he's a new face.

WR- Osirus may not start. We added Shavers, Heath (finally), Tulu, and now maybe we'll get to see Austin Williams and JaVonta Payton more. And now Shrader is a WR. Our TE's are now WR's like Spivey, Cumbest and Dontae Jones.

OL- Cole Smith will be the new center. Cross is the new LT and he redshirted last year. Dolla Bill could be our new RT. Eiland moves from tackle to guard where I think he is better suited. Parker is back. Reese is now at Florida where their offense fits him better I think. Basically we have a new and totally re-worked offensive line- but some of these guys are 4 star types instead of the typical under the radar developmental types we typically had under Dan.

DL- We are now a three man front but Spencer and Kobe are familiar faces. We lost Lovett. We also lost his Dad. I think Crumedy and Pickering will be good here.

LB- Erroll is back. And he looks like he is in better shape based on the hype videos I've seen. I bet the spare tire is gone. The other LB's- Gay and Leo have moved on as well as Tim Washington

Edge- Jordan Davis and Tyrus Wheat are new faces. Brule is a new face on the other side but I love his athleticism. Not sure that this position really existed in Shoop's defense.

CB- Emerson is a familiar face. We'll see what happens at the other CB spot- Forbes and Furdge are basically new guys. Maybe Cass will emerge later in the year.

S/DOG- Murphy is a old face that was a Tutor Gate casualty last year. He can play. Peters is sort of new. He emerged late in the year. Most of the MSU media thinks that Collin Duncan starts at the other safety spot and he is a new face. I could see Janari Dean playing a lot this year.

K/P- Is this this best kicking unit we have had in awhile? Christmann is proven and he is being pushed by Brandon Ruiz. Tucker Day is solid. We also have Scott Goodman who can punt and has handled kickoffs. And Ruiz will probably be the KO guy. Paul Blackwell is a candidate for some national awards at LS.

KO/PR- Not sure who we will go with here. Payton needs to hold onto the ball better if he is going to return kicks. I would like to see Tulu and Lee Witherspoon get a shot at returning kicks.

Not to mention a completely new coaching staff. Everyone is talking about Leach and rightfully so. However, Arnett was known for taking less than three star talent and getting the most out of them at San Diego State. Most years he would be the focus but with the overhaul he is getting overlooked. Matt Brock is a massive upgrade at ST coach as well. And then there is the new (old) culture, new S&C, and etc.

I'm looking at this year as year zero. It's just so weird that I don't think there is anything I can really take away too much from it. We could go 3-7 and actually be a better team than last year. Long term- I think Leach is going to be a very exciting hire for us. The way it went down kind of reminds me of how we ended up with Jackie a little bit in that it looked like we were going to go in one direction with Judge in this case but because of how things happened we ended up with a much better coach at the right time for us.

Oh- it's game week! Say hi Coronabros!

vCash
    Game one can't get here quick enough. I'm excited to see what we look like with all the newness surrounding the team this year. Mainly for me in game one, I would like to see effort, low penalties, and toughness. That will let me know we are on the right track. Execution will come. I think the offense could get it going this year. May take till next year or so for the D to get better. Either way, I'm pumped and ready to see how we look. Hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised after the LSU game.

vCash
    For all the change in scheme and personnel, it may be that the culture piece will be the biggest change.

WR- added Walley too.

We releasing a depth chart today?

vCash
    Hearing we may be playing a lot of new faces and back ups this weekend. Out of necessity...Could be a long week... more to follow...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Hearing we may be playing a lot of new faces and back ups this weekend. Out of necessity...Could be a long week... more to follow...
    Eff me, positives and contact tracing?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Mighty big cliffhanger, 77. Need updates as soon as you get them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Dear gosh..... regardless, I’ll still be excited and stoked to see MSU football on my tv Saturday. But I was sure hoping we’d be as close to full strength as possible for the opener.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    For all the change in scheme and personnel, it may be that the culture piece will be the biggest change.

WR- added Walley too.

We releasing a depth chart today?
    I was hoping culture was the biggest change(kinda what I was referencing). Was pumped up about the possibilities this weekend, now 77 bout to burst my bubble. Really wanted to be full strength this weekend. I tell you what, it better be COVID and not a bunch of discipline issues. Because if it's discipline, we weren't going to hit on shi* anyway.