Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prime Time to JSU?

vCash
    The facilities are not good at JSU, the stadium is not good, no tv to speak of, no crowds, not much in the way of alumni support($dollars), and the list goes on and on. It's gonna take more than Primes flash to draw any big name talents. I like Deion, his show on the NFL network on Sunday nights after all the games was more fun than watching the actual games and I'm gonna miss that, but he's got his work cut out for him at JSU. It'll probably be entertaining though, like Casey Stengel with the '62 Mets for anyone who remembers that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    You are giving way to much credit to having a couple of rings and a gold jacket. Especially using the hypothetical pitch you chose.

It's still JSU vs. playing in the SEC. It's not even a question of what the overwhelming majority of athletes would choose here.

Rings and gold jackets as his pitch will likely do just as much to MSU as it would to OM. Any coach would use the monument BS. Nothing has changed. If a kid wants to go to OM, I doubt a statue is going to be the primary reason they don't.

For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that playing for JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing in the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.
    Last edited by Getcha_a_Burner; 09-21-2020 at 03:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getcha_a_Burner View Post
    For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.

Deion is about to hit the transfer portal and change the game at Jackson state.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    This is where he'll make his bread and butter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Y'all do realize that Jackson State isn't D1, doesn't play for a championship other than the SWAC, and is located in DOWNTOWN JACKSON?!?!? We openly talk about how bad Jackson is and yet we think there's going to be highly talented players that would rather go play there than go play in Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville, Memphis, etc.?? JSU got some buzz with this hire but that's all it is. He's never recruited before and somehow he's magically going to be this AMAZING closer. It's just not going to happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Y'all do realize that Jackson State isn't D1, doesn't play for a championship other than the SWAC, and is located in DOWNTOWN JACKSON?!?!? We openly talk about how bad Jackson is and yet we think there's going to be highly talented players that would rather go play there than go play in Starkville, Oxford, Fayetteville, Memphis, etc.?? JSU got some buzz with this hire but that's all it is. He's never recruited before and somehow he's magically going to be this AMAZING closer. It's just not going to happen.
    totally agree ... but when you're JSU this can't hurt (I don't think so anyway) ..... I'm curious if todays younger HS athletes hold the same recognition as we older guys do for Prime Time ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    totally agree ... but when you're JSU this can't hurt (I don't think so anyway) ..... I'm curious if todays younger HS athletes hold the same recognition as we older guys do for Prime Time ?
    Oh I agree. It can't hurt. And I think the younger guys know who he is primarily because of all the stuff he's on and that he's a former player. I don't know if they know just exactly how good he was. Although it's Prime. I'm sure the first week will all be about watching his highlights.

vCash
    Prime to JSU should have TSUN extremely worried. Easiest recruiting pitch ever. Do young, socially conscious black athletes want to play for a school with an actual Confederate monument on campus, or do they want to play for an upstart HBCU program coached by a guy with a couple of rings and a gold jacket? I suspect a Prime-led JSU will have a comparable trajectory to the Hardaway-led Memphis basketball team. Outstanding splash hire at the right moment in history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post

Solid analysis. A really insightful take!

vCash
    He better make some good connections at the Mississippi JUCOs because his best path to success is getting the best of the rest we don't want.

vCash
    For sure. And any reasonable coach should hold the Confederate monument against UM. My point is not to say that playing for JSU is suddenly more glamorous than playing in the SEC. I'm simply saying that UM with its well-documented history is particularly vulnerable to the type of pitch that Deion and JSU should, can, and will make on the recruiting trail.
    Eh, I just don't buy it.

There is nothing new that Deion can bring to the table that separates him from any other previous coach at JSU when it comes to trying to use something like that against OM. Deion isn't going to all of a sudden shine some spotlight on anything and open any eyes. It's not like they just erected a new one or anything.

But whatever, I really don't care about JSU or Prime or the SWAC. Along with nearly every other college football fan out there.