Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prime Time to JSU?

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash

Prime Time to JSU?

Twitter smoke that Deion Sanders will be JSU HC. I had heard that he was in Madison with a realtor when his team played MRA a few weeks back.

vCash
    That’s wild. I personally do not think he will do well, but it certainly is a splash.

vCash
    Local Jackson media seem to be reporting it's a done deal.

https://www.facebook.com/28558155508...7586291975509/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    Twitter smoke that Deion Sanders will be JSU HC. I had heard that he was in Madison with a realtor when his team played MRA a few weeks back.
    He seems to be busy working at Barstool as well

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bio/63580/deion-sanders

I'm sure the sports media company he's employed by would break the story.

And the NCAA might frown on a coach working for a sports gaming company.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    Deal is on hold per Twitter due to Deion having Under Armour as a sponsor and JSU has Nike

vCash
    Deal is on hold per Twitter due to Deion having Under Armour as a sponsor and JSU has Nike
    Wonder if JSU will sell off their helmet logos to make this work.

Really could be a blessing in disguise if it falls through for JSU. I have a feeling that Deion probably won't work out there if he gets hired.

vCash
    Deion would be a great hire there. The community support and transfers flocking there would be big for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Deion would be a great hire there. The community support and transfers flocking there would be big for them.
    This would be a fiasco of an on field hire. His only coaching experience is an OC at a private high school in TX. He'd have to pay his own money to get any quality assistants and I highly doubt any transfers want to come play in a crap stadium in the middle of downtown Jackson.....saying all that, I can't wait for this!

vCash
    He'd take a huge pay cut, but i'm sure he has enough money that he's not worried about it.

If coaching doesn't work it, he'd probably be even more valuable as a "personality" afterwards.

vCash
    Maybe he has a reality show lined up. "The Coach"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    This would be a fiasco of an on field hire. His only coaching experience is an OC at a private high school in TX. He'd have to pay his own money to get any quality assistants and I highly doubt any transfers want to come play in a crap stadium in the middle of downtown Jackson.....saying all that, I can't wait for this!
    Deion has more NFL connections than most SEC coaches. Players would love him and want that opportunity.

vCash
    Deion has more NFL connections than most SEC coaches. Players would love him and want that opportunity.
    I'm sure he does have plenty of NFL connections. But all the NFL connections in the world aren't going to magically make you a better coach or magically make a team playing in the SWAC more attractive than a P5 or even a G5. No doubt his players will love him, but if I'm a guy getting recruited by JSU and Memphis then I'm going to Memphis 100 times out of 100. Now, this will hurt Southern and if I'm Southern I may be calling up his agent to make an offer. Because if it's between those two programs then Deion's personality will win out, at least at first.

vCash
    Has Stephen A commented on this yet...

vCash
    I can't think of anything that could go wrong with this hire***

vCash
    I'm interested to see what happens. And interested to see who is on his staff.

vCash
    This outta be interesting - JUST CALL ME COACH PRIME !!
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1308066410258747392

Last edited by FISHDAWG; 09-21-2020 at 01:41 PM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Prime to JSU should have TSUN extremely worried. Easiest recruiting pitch ever. Do young, socially conscious black athletes want to play for a school with an actual Confederate monument on campus, or do they want to play for an upstart HBCU program coached by a guy with a couple of rings and a gold jacket? I suspect a Prime-led JSU will have a comparable trajectory to the Hardaway-led Memphis basketball team. Outstanding splash hire at the right moment in history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getcha_a_Burner View Post
    Prime to JSU should have TSUN extremely worried. Easiest recruiting pitch ever. Do young, socially conscious black athletes want to play for a school with an actual Confederate monument on campus, or do they want to play for an upstart HBCU program coached by a guy with a couple of rings and a gold jacket? I suspect a Prime-led JSU will have a comparable trajectory to the Hardaway-led Memphis basketball team. Outstanding splash hire at the right moment in history.
    Or do they want to play at a P5 where they play against the best on national TV every week or go play against Valley in front of a couple of thousand. I doubt he's going to pull anyone with a commitable P5 offer. Southern is the only FBS team in the State that is going to be worried about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getcha_a_Burner View Post
    You are giving way to much credit to having a couple of rings and a gold jacket. Especially using the hypothetical pitch you chose.

It's still JSU vs. playing in the SEC. It's not even a question of what the overwhelming majority of athletes would choose here.

Rings and gold jackets as his pitch will likely do just as much to MSU as it would to OM. Any coach would use the monument BS. Nothing has changed. If a kid wants to go to OM, I doubt a statue is going to be the primary reason they don't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Or do they want to play at a P5 where they play against the best on national TV every week or go play against Valley in front of a couple of thousand. I doubt he's going to pull anyone with a commitable P5 offer. Southern is the only FBS team in the State that is going to be worried about this.
    This undoubtedly the biggest obstacle he'll face on the recruiting trail. It will take a special type of leader to go to JSU and lay the groundwork. But I also think that the fields are ripe for harvest for an HBCU to land some big time, P5-level talent (see, e.g., Makur Maker). Prime could be the guy to do it.