Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Luginbill: Leach will have to run the ball more

vCash
    Watching Ole Miss beat Saban in T town on ESPN with MACHINE GUN is a thing of beauty. Even though Leach doesn’t have the players on either side Freeze had that year it shows what pressure a quick throw offense can put on a superior defense. Truly hoping all the best for Coach ML.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Why do people keep saying this? Hal Mumme called plays at Kentucky. Dan Mullen has an OC also but he calls the plays. Leach left Kentucky so he could start doing his thing.
    You are really stretching it here. You need to educate yourself a little bit more on the role/impact Leach had on Mumme and that Kentucky team. You need to educate yourself more on Leach in general as this is not the first time you have spouted ignorance on this topic.

vCash
    Why do people keep saying this? Hal Mumme called plays at Kentucky. Dan Mullen has an OC also but he calls the plays. Leach left Kentucky so he could start doing his thing.
    I dont' know who called the plays at UK, but it seems instructive that Mumme fell off the map without Leach and Leach kept doing his thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Please. It's funny that you compare budget and facilities but don't compare competition. We were in a better spot relative to the rest of the country while Mullen was here but not relative to the rest of the SEC. The SEC West was miles better during Mullen's tenure than during Sherrill's peak.
    And when Mullen was here, we did better than Jackie against the rest of the country and worse compared to the SEC.

Mullen and Jackie were both really good coaches but were in very different situations. I'd give the nod to Mullen, but it's hard to compare because of the situations they faced. Jackie legitimately had to recruit against non-SEC teams. The SEC was better, but USM wasn't completely neutered by being in the CUSA. And the same thing that made it much easier for Mullen to dominate G5 teams also made Alabama and LSU much better, and he also had a good Arkansas team to deal with for a while. Again, I'd pick Mullen, but like comparing players from different eras, there is no objectively correct answer. The biggest drawback to Jackie was having the NCAA hate him and out to get him, but had Mullen pulled the shit with Cam and tried to turn Auburn in with Lonnie Tinkle and the SEC leadership at the time, Mullen might have been just as screwed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Give me Jackie over Dan any and every day. And for those that are too young to remember- give me 1998 and 1999 over 2014 too.
    I think you are letting nostalgia get in the way a bit. Jackie did some great things for us and 98-2000 was an awesome run. But, the SEC west was down significantly from where it was during Dan's time here. LSU was a tick above average and Bama was in a funk as well for the most part.

Realistically we should have won the west a couple of times during that time but we would drop a game here and there that we shouldn't have.

Mullen's teams played with much more discipline in a much tougher SEC west.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I dont' know who called the plays at UK, but it seems instructive that Mumme fell off the map without Leach and Leach kept doing his thing.
    You realize that Leach runs Mumme's offense right? Now Leach has certainly put his stamp on it- but Mumme is the Father of the Air Raid. Also, Mumme's fall was due to his NCAA problems- not losing Leach. Then when you add this to it:

"While the coach at New Mexico State, Mumme was the object of a lawsuit brought by four Muslim NMSU players and the ACLU, who claimed that Mumme subjected them to a hostile work environment on account of their religion.[19] The lawsuit was eventually settled out of court, when NMSU agreed to pay a sum of $165,000 to the four players. Neither Mumme nor NMSU admitted to any wrongdoing in the case"

no big school is hiring Mumme after all that
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    You realize that Leach runs Mumme's offense right? Now Leach has certainly put his stamp on it- but Mumme is the Father of the Air Raid. Also, Mumme's fall was due to his NCAA problems- not losing Leach. Then when you add this to it:

"While the coach at New Mexico State, Mumme was the object of a lawsuit brought by four Muslim NMSU players and the ACLU, who claimed that Mumme subjected them to a hostile work environment on account of their religion.[19] The lawsuit was eventually settled out of court, when NMSU agreed to pay a sum of $165,000 to the four players. Neither Mumme nor NMSU admitted to any wrongdoing in the case"

Kentucky to SE La State to New Mexico State

Thats pretty much circling the drain for a former SEC coach. Problems with Muslims probably didnt do him in.

He was 11-38 at NMSU. His next job as Jackson State regardless. Not even Vandy is poaching 11-38 coaches in the Mountain West
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 09-19-2020 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Kentucky to SE La State to New Mexico State

Thats pretty much circling the drain for a former SEC coach. Problems with Muslims probably didnt do him in.

He was 11-38 at NMSU. His next job as Jackson State regardless. Not even Vandy is poaching 11-38 coaches in the Mountain West
    NM State has 1 winning season the last 19 years. Kentucky to SE La was because of NCAA issues. Notice after 2 seasons at SE LA- he got the NM State job. NM State also went from the Big West to the step up the WAC under him.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash

You realize that "Mumme's offense" was developed as Leach was his OC? And Leach's history and success with it say it all when compared to Mumme post-Leach. And you act surprised that he can adjust to an SEC defense....

vCash

He really doesn't. Mumme fell off the map without Leach. Leach has done pretty damn well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I think you are letting nostalgia get in the way a bit. Jackie did some great things for us and 98-2000 was an awesome run. But, the SEC west was down significantly from where it was during Dan's time here. LSU was a tick above average and Bama was in a funk as well for the most part.

Realistically we should have won the west a couple of times during that time but we would drop a game here and there that we shouldn't have.

Mullen's teams played with much more discipline in a much tougher SEC west.
    The West wasn't down in 2014? LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn all finished 8-5. Arkansas went 7-6.

Remember when Jackie was our coach during the late 1990's teams played an 11 game schedule with the 12th becoming an OOC game against a FCS team or a lower level D-I team so we can assume one more win for each of these teams to make it an apples to apples comparison.

1998- Lost on the road to a 7 win Kentucky team which would be the equivalent of an 8 win team today. OSU finished 5-6 and probably makes a bowl in this era, and LSU finished 4-7 the equivalent of 5-7. We beat a 7-5 Alabama team which with Shaun Alexander which would be equivalent of the teams we beat in 2014. Arkansas won 9 games that year with the SEC West on the line. Dan never did that. Ever. Then beat a 7 win Ole Miss team on the road which again was the equivalent of beating an 8 win SEC West team in 2014.

1999- It's not Jackie's fault that our league schedule was down. We for the most part won against the teams we played. Beating an 8 win Ole Miss team would have been like beating a 9 win team in 2014- making it better than any of our wins in 2014. We also had to play our two most difficult teams on the road that year. Dan did the same in 2014 with the same results. Except that Jackie finished the year much better and didn't try to leave. Also three of our opponents that year- Memphis, Oklahoma State, and Auburn would be bowl teams in this era and Kentucky did make a bowl that year.

2000- I'm only bringing this up because you brought it up. We beat both the SEC East and West champion this year. Dan never did. This era doesn't even include the other times Jackie beat the SEC East or West champ either- 1992 Florida, 1996 Alabama, and 1997 Auburn.

Dan's entire career at MSU was beating people he was supposed to beat and very rarely getting upset. Yes, Jackie had a few bad losses but in that era there was not as big of a gap between the SEC and other conferences like there is now. He also won the SEC West and had more great wins throughout his career than Dan did.

Neither coach was perfect- Jackie's QB development was pitiful and the on the field personal fouls drove me nuts. He used the exact same excuse to start Dontae Walker over Justin Griffith as Dan did to start Holloway over Aeris. Between the two- I'm picking Jackie. If for no other reason he never neglected coaching our team while trying to find a "better" situation.

I hope I like Leach better than both of them.

vCash
    The West wasn't down in 2014? LSU, Texas A&M, and Auburn all finished 8-5. Arkansas went 7-6.

Remember when Jackie was our coach during the late 1990's teams played an 11 game schedule with the 12th becoming an OOC game against a FCS team or a lower level D-I team so we can assume one more win for each of these teams to make it an apples to apples comparison.

1998- Lost on the road to a 7 win Kentucky team which would be the equivalent of an 8 win team today. OSU finished 5-6 and probably makes a bowl in this era, and LSU finished 4-7 the equivalent of 5-7. We beat a 7-5 Alabama team which with Shaun Alexander which would be equivalent of the teams we beat in 2014. Arkansas won 9 games that year with the SEC West on the line. Dan never did that. Ever. Then beat a 7 win Ole Miss team on the road which again was the equivalent of beating an 8 win SEC West team in 2014.

1999- It's not Jackie's fault that our league schedule was down. We for the most part won against the teams we played. Beating an 8 win Ole Miss team would have been like beating a 9 win team in 2014- making it better than any of our wins in 2014. We also had to play our two most difficult teams on the road that year. Dan did the same in 2014 with the same results. Except that Jackie finished the year much better and didn't try to leave. Also three of our opponents that year- Memphis, Oklahoma State, and Auburn would be bowl teams in this era and Kentucky did make a bowl that year.

2000- I'm only bringing this up because you brought it up. We beat both the SEC East and West champion this year. Dan never did. This era doesn't even include the other times Jackie beat the SEC East or West champ either- 1992 Florida, 1996 Alabama, and 1997 Auburn.

Dan's entire career at MSU was beating people he was supposed to beat and very rarely getting upset. Yes, Jackie had a few bad losses but in that era there was not as big of a gap between the SEC and other conferences like there is now. He also won the SEC West and had more great wins throughout his career than Dan did.

Neither coach was perfect- Jackie's QB development was pitiful and the on the field personal fouls drove me nuts. He used the exact same excuse to start Dontae Walker over Justin Griffith as Dan did to start Holloway over Aeris. Between the two- I'm picking Jackie. If for no other reason he never neglected coaching our team while trying to find a "better" situation.

I hope I like Leach better than both of them.
    Todd - you're a good poster but I believe you would argue with a dead man to try and prove a point .... anyway all this only boils down to personal preference and opinion .... I'''''ve been watching state play since the early to mid 70's and still nothing compare to 2014 for me
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

The NCAA problems started it, but you don't think Leach could average more than 2 wins a year at Belhaven?

vCash
    And Bama went to the playoff and OM played in a NY6 bowl.

And if those teams lose to us, they all go 9-4. So no, the West was not down in 2014. My gosh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Luginbill on OOB this am said with the kind of defensive talent Leach will face in the SEC he'll have to adjust his offense which includes running the ball more. He said the front seven of LSU, Bama and AU will eat his offense alive if he tries to throw it 50 times.

Thoughts?
    Bump for the LOL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Bump for the LOL
    Thanks for this LOL

vCash
    Luginbill on OOB this am said with the kind of defensive talent Leach will face in the SEC he'll have to adjust his offense which includes running the ball more. He said the front seven of LSU, Bama and AU will eat his offense alive if he tries to throw it 50 times.

Thoughts?
    Leach will run it (or shovel pass or swing pass) when the defense drops to fewer than 6 in the box, simple as that.

vCash
    Lugenbill was wrong
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

Thoughts?
    I've been trying to tell y'all about leach since he was just being whispered as a candidate.

LEACH DOES WHAT LEACH DOES.

As Holgo said, "Leach don't change shit." He's not going to "run the ball more" unless that's what the D is giving in that game.

What nobody seems to understand is the "Air Raid' isn't about plays. It's a belief in a way of doing things. Look at Oklahoma yesterday. They say they are "Air Raid" but they aren't. Riley went back to conventional coaching and thoughts and started trying to sit on the lead and milk clock. He isn't true "Air Raid", not because of the plays he ran, but because he got away from the principles of "this is what we do and how we built the lead".

He didn't stay true to the belief in the system.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Luginbill was talking out of his ass. It's obvious he knows jack about the air raid philosophy. As do a few posters around here that bleat like sheep.