Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Luginbill: Leach will have to run the ball more

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    And the whole reason Mullen could never really compete with Bama. Running the ball was the bread and butter of the Mullen offense and it got stymied against a great front 7.
    The offensive gameplan of the 1st halves against Bama and Ole Miss will forever piss me off. Cost us a SEC West and a conference championship, and a berth in the inaugural playoff.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    The offensive gameplan of the 1st halves against Bama and Ole Miss will forever piss me off. Cost us a SEC West and a conference championship, and a berth in the inaugural playoff.
    If you think you were pissed about the first half of Bama game.. Ask Coach Collins how he felt.. or better yet ask Dan how bad Geoff ripped his ass all the way to the locker room...

And with the OM game , well Dan already had his bags packed .. That seemed to be a common theme pre egg bowl game..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Check out the talent delta between WSU and UW.

WSU recruits in the 60-70's, UW recruits in the top 15. It's literally Memphis vs Ohio State.
    But how can you explain Leach beating Oregon and Stanford, like 4 out of the last 5 seasons?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    If you think you were pissed about the first half of Bama game.. Ask Coach Collins how he felt.. or better yet ask Dan how bad Geoff ripped his ass all the way to the locker room...

And with the OM game , well Dan already had his bags packed .. That seemed to be a common theme pre egg bowl game..
    And yet we have some fans that think he was our best coach ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Yep. I don't get the Dan Cult.

vCash
    We?ve been over this... there is no such thing as a perfect coach in our history. Not even close. Dan had his flaws but is still the best coach we?ve ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Yep. I don't get the Dan Cult.
    I don't get why our fans continually bring up OM beating AL. But, here we are again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    But how can you explain Leach beating Oregon and Stanford, like 4 out of the last 5 seasons?
    Oregon and Stanford have both been a little up and down the last few years while Washington was pretty consistent in that time. I think it’s also possible Jimmy Lake was just a better coordinator than whoever Oregon and Stanford had at DC. Some teams just have other another team’s number sometimes.

Petersen and Lake seemed to figure out the Air Raid years ago but that didn’t stop other teams from continuing to struggle with it. This offense may or may not work very often against the elite teams, but that is not new with us. And I would say it has a better chance to work against the big boys than the offenses we have historically tried. The important thing is that we can consistently move the ball on non-elite teams and then occasionally find a way to pick off one of the big boys. That’s what Leach teams have done historically and that’s all you can reasonably expect from him here.

vCash
    Leach is going to need to run the ball enough to prevent teams from just rushing 3.

Rushing 3 and having 8 in coverage is the way Washington neutralized this offense. If Leach can just run enough to make teams commit 4 to the pass rush, then we'll be on our way to success.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Don’t forget how much leeway Leach gives his qb to call the plays. Some qbs are going to be more willing to check to a running play than others

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    They bring the house and it's going to cost them. He will run the ball as long as there are only 5 in the box. When they bring up the 6th man, he will throw more.
    Wait a minute... You tellin' me that an offensive minded coach will run the ball when he has a numbers advantage on the LOS.... and Pass, otherwise?

Last edited by TUSK; 09-16-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    We?ve been over this... there is no such thing as a perfect coach in our history. Not even close. Dan had his flaws but is still the best coach we?ve ever had.
    Give me Jackie over Dan any and every day. And for those that are too young to remember- give me 1998 and 1999 over 2014 too.

vCash
    Give me Jackie over Dan any and every day. And for those that are too young to remember- give me 1998 and 1999 over 2014 too.
    No way ... One was fired and the other left on his own.... I remember 98 & 99 ... I also remember 1980 as well and none of those years can compare to 2014
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    He's a good coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Wait a minute... You tellin' me that an offensive minded coach will run the ball when he has a numbers advantage on the LOS.... and Pass, otherwise?

sup my brother?

vCash

So rather than getting beat by a teams that won the sugar, orange and nation championship, you'd rather lose to a 5-6 Big 12 team and get blown out by a 3 win sec team?

Dan had his flaws, but you must be forgetting the eggs Sherrill laid.

vCash
    give me 1998 and 1999 over 2014 too.
    That is a bad take. It may have ended down and left a sour taste, but the ride was so unbelievably fun while it lasted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I don't get why our fans continually bring up OM beating AL. But, here we are again.
    Uh, well, because it is a good example (actually twice) of how a team with overall inferior talent can have a chance to compete and win against the superior team.

vCash
    I'm kinda amazed at how you dog Mullen for how 2014 ended but give Jackie a pass for the end of '99 which was almost identical. Both teams lost in Tuscaloosa to Bama teams that won the SEC and then both had a road loss to a 4-loss team where we just played really poorly. People argue that our best wins in 2014 were against overrated teams, and while that is true, they were still solid wins in games that we dominated. And it's not like we beat a bunch of powerhouses in '99. Our best win was against an 8-4 Ole Miss team and we got to play a 6-6 Clemson team in our bowl game. The Georgia Tech team that beat us in the Orange Bowl was an 11 win team that finished in the Top 10. And in '99 we also had eek out wins against 3-8 LSU, 5-6 Memphis, 5-6 Auburn, and 6-6 Kentucky.

You say people are too young to remember, I say that nostalgia may have you misremembering what the situation actually was. We had some memorable teams in that era that were definitely good. But the run that Mullen put together as a whole was better than Jackie's run. And since we are bashing Mullen for missing an opportunity to win the West in 2014, let us not forget that in addition to '99, Jackie had teams in '97 and 2000 that were very much in the hunt to win the West and both years we proceeded to go 0-2 in our final two games against Arkansas and Ole Miss teams we should have beaten.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Uh, well, because it is a good example (actually twice) of how a team with overall inferior talent can have a chance to compete and win against the superior team.
    With turnovers and proven recruiting cheating?
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 09-16-2020 at 05:23 PM.