Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd scrimmage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why didn't he dress out?

I will say one thing about the 2016 defense is they had Jeffrey Simmons who even at that time was an obvious impact potential first round guy even at that stage and we knew he was only going to get better.

If we can average 24 PPG allowed on defense we will be OK.
    Agree...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Why didn't he dress out?

I will say one thing about the 2016 defense is they had Jeffrey Simmons who even at that time was an obvious impact potential first round guy even at that stage and we knew he was only going to get better.

If we can average 24 PPG allowed on defense we will be OK.
    I'll take 24 and call it a day....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    "Hurt"
    Gracias!

vCash
    I'll take 24 and call it a day....
    Averaging 24 last year would be around 9th-10th in the SEC last year. I think we averaged 28 PPG last year Tutor Gate and all. It could be apples and oranges a little with an All-SEC schedule and no Abeline Christian on the schedule though.

vCash
    No
    So no report bc shotgun is a dick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    So no report bc shotgun is a dick?
    Was I a dick?

I just questioned somethings. I want say anything if he doesn't want me to. I'd love to hear his report
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Was I a dick?

I just questioned somethings. I want say anything if he doesn't want me to. I'd love to hear his report
    I don't know. Homedawg is a little sensitive if his reporting is questioned.

vCash
    We gave up 32 a game vs sec opponents in 2019. If we only give up 24 this year, arnett deserves assistant coach of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We gave up 32 a game vs sec opponents in 2019. If we only give up 24 this year, arnett deserves assistant coach of the year.
    I dont see any way we give up less than 30 PPG
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Especially since we have a faster paced offense that will result in more possessions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Especially since we have a faster paced offense that will result in more possessions
    I think it has been said that Leach's TOP is not as bad as you'd think. Not sure, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I think it has been said that Leach's TOP is not as bad as you'd think. Not sure, though.
    It has. He doesn't run a hurry up offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    It has. He doesn't run a hurry up offense.
    And also WSU led the nation in fewest punts-per-play last year.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    I meant as more of a slight to the check with me offense we ran in years prior

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I meant as more of a slight to the check with me offense we ran in years prior
    Ahh, I see. Yes, that was the most maddening thing I have endured sports-wise in some time. Much worse than 1A/1B.

vCash
    Ahh, I see. Yes, that was the most maddening thing I have endured sports-wise in some time. Much worse than 1A/1B.
    Yes I agree. Cowboys play calling is second.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Yeah, 24 ppg would be a tall order. Comparing raw stats year to year isn't necessarily apples to apples for lots of reasons. But generally, since the SEC expanded to 14 teams in '12, a 24 ppg D in conference play would have the average rank of between 6th and 7th in the league. Grantham's 2017 scoring D in the SEC, for instance, was right at 24 ppg and it was ranked 6th. We had a rough season on D the year before Grantham, too, so there's precedent that drastic improvement can be done in a single season. But that's still a high standard.

I'm not sure if I have a goal for raw scoring defense in mind. I'd like to see any signs of improvement, obviously. But with such a lack of returning experience -- as I've harped elsewhere, even before the FSU transfers, we were 113th in FBS in returning defensive production; it's possible that we're bottom 10 now -- even that's going to require some work. Frankly, if Arnett can get us toward the middle of the pack in most defensive categories in the conference, say 10th to 8th (remember we were bottom two or three in most things last year), that'd be a good job. Anything on top of that is gravy.

vCash

Without looking in detail as to who is bringing back what, I think we could reasonably knock it down to 28 pts a game. I'm not predicting that, but the teams likely to run it up on us this year also ran it up on us last year. Alabama is the only team I see on our schedule that I would expect to score more on us this year than last year. Certainly some other people will, but we will also have some pleasant surprises. Auburn could beat us like a red headed step child and still score two touchdowns less than they did last year. We're replacing UT with Vandy, and adding UGA, who will presumably drive the averages up but weren't big scorers last year and Mizzou, who wsa pretty anemic last year. THrow in the fact that presumably offenses will be alittle more impacted by COVID early in the year, and I think we could get 4 pts better without actually being much better beyond playing hard every play and having an offense that has a pulse.

Just comparing to last year:

UK 13 pts; Not sure what UK is bringning back and whether they have significant turnover where the COVID disruptions would cause them relatively more problems, but going to be difficult to match this, especially being at UK this year.

Auburn 56 pts: Auburn is replacing their OL for the most part, correct? We'll be at home. I would expect us to do better than this, even if we're not competitive.

UT 20 pts: Exchanged UT on the road for Vandy at home. Vandy only scored more than 14 pts in an SSEC game when they lost to LSU 66-38. Ole Miss held them to 6. I think we will probably do as good or better than 20 pts agsint them?

LSU 36: I'm shocked LSU only scored 36 against us last year. I would be surprised if they did better but am expecting them to get close even with Brennan at QB. I think they'll be able to over power us.

A&M 49 - Not expecting to do much better, but not expecting to do worse.

Arkansas - 24 - Not expecting to do much better or worse.

Alabama 38 - I could see them scoring more than this.

Ole Miss 21 - Could go either way. Our offense should be better, so hopefully they make it a little easier on the defense. Not sure what to expect out of Ole miss's offense.

Then we added Mizzou who averaged less than 18 pts a game in SEC last year, and UGA, who average 25.5 an SEC game (excluding SEC championship game) and had highs of 30 (Vandy) and 43 (UT).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I was thinking it was either Antonio Hargro or ONeal Wilder with the drop.
    While we are talking about big drops, Leon Berry had one of our biggest in the 2010 game vs Auburn. Catch would have put us in FG range, and we lost by 3. I don't remember him being a pass dropper, but that was a bad one.

vCash
    If we give up 24 ppg, we will win tons of games. I agree with coach34. I don?t see us giving up less than 30 ppg (assuming we play the 10 game schedule).