Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shrader Playing Some WR

vCash

Shrader Playing Some WR

He?s about 6?5? 220 lbs, can run, & a tough runner.

Kind of Joe Juravicious like.

Not sure if he can catch, but I love the competitiveness, willingness to adapt, & the type of teammate this says he may be due to being willing to help the team in anyway possible.

Not sure if it will work out, but I love the idea
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He?s about 6?5? 220 lbs, can run, & a tough runner.

Kind of Joe Juravicious like.

Not sure if he can catch, but I love the competitiveness, willingness to adapt, & the type of teammate this says he may be due to being willing to help the team in anyway possible.

Not sure if it will work out, but I love the idea
    I would think that learning the routes/air raid as a receiver, especially if he learns both slot and wide, could only help him in reading defenses as a QB. He should be able to look pre-snap and know which receivers are likely to be open and at what point in the route. It would make post-snap reads much quicker because you progress in order of likeliness and not in order of area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    I would think that learning the routes/air raid as a receiver, especially if he learns both slot and wide, could only help him in reading defenses as a QB. He should be able to look pre-snap and know which receivers are likely to be open and at what point in the route. It would make post-snap reads much quicker because you progress in order of likeliness and not in order of area.
    Yep. KJ is our QB this year. Also, it's a free year eligibility-wise. So why not give it a try.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Yep he's not the QB for now or the future so it doesn't hurt to try it out. If it works great for him & MSU & if it doesn't he transfers to a school that fits his skillset as a QB.

vCash
    Just goes to show you how appealing the WR position is in Leach’s offense.

Shrader probably looks at it and says “If I made the two deep at WR at some point, I would catch 50 balls and have a chance at the NFL”

vCash
    Just goes to show you how appealing the WR position is in Leach’s offense.

Shrader probably looks at it and says “If I made the two deep at WR at some point, I would catch 50 balls and have a chance at the NFL”
    I think it was more Leach saying you can hold a clipboard & signal in plays or you can try your hand at WR. This wasn't Shrader looking saying oh I want to be a WR now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I think it was more Leach saying you can hold a clipboard & signal in plays or you can try your hand at WR. This wasn't Shrader looking saying oh I want to be a WR now.
    No doubt.

vCash
    Great on Shrader for being willing to give it a shot. Hurts nothing to give it a try.

But I'll be shocked if he makes an impact this season at WR or at WR ever really. He's a great athlete at QB but being a great athlete at WR in the SEC is a whole different thing. The fluidity and agility side to side to run routes to get open as a WR in the SEC is totally different from scrambling from DL and LB. Again, he's a hell of an athlete playing QB but throw him with the athletes at WR and his agility/quickness isn't what it was at QB. Just my opinion. I hope he crushes it and can get on the field though. He's a true team player being willing to do this.

Also, let the Will Rogers hype train continue building.....gonna be a DUDE.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Great on Shrader for being willing to give it a shot. Hurts nothing to give it a try.

But I'll be shocked if he makes an impact this season at WR or at WR ever really. He's a great athlete at QB but being a great athlete at WR in the SEC is a whole different thing. The fluidity and agility side to side to run routes to get open as a WR in the SEC is totally different from scrambling from DL and LB. Again, he's a hell of an athlete playing QB but throw him with the athletes at WR and his agility/quickness isn't what it was at QB. Just my opinion. I hope he crushes it and can get on the field though. He's a true team player being willing to do this.

You are correct on the agility/quickness. One thing he does have to counter some of that athleticism with is size though. At 6'5" 225 he can make some plays on balls that others may not. I doubt he sees the field as an every down WR but I could certainly see some packages with him in there for some occasional gimmick plays.

vCash

Maybe, but he 6’5” 230. Not sure how crisp your route running has to be at that size. The quality of his hands will decide way more than his route running IMO

vCash
    Maybe, but he 6’5” 230. Not sure how crisp your route running has to be at that size. The quality of his hands will decide way more than his route running IMO
    No doubt his size will help but size doesn't necessarily get you open consistently against SEC DB's. It gives him the potential to box out some guys and win some 50/50 balls over shorter DB's but I just see him struggling getting separation from most SEC DB's he'd face because he won't be fluid or agile enough side to side to create any separation. I'd love to be surprised and see him on the field at WR this season making some impact plays. It certainly could make for some interesting packages and trick plays.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    I get the hype on Rogers because he knows the offense, but let's hold off on christening him the next Graham Harrell until he makes these throws with Alabama or LSU's D Line coming at him. I think this move is more about Garrett realizing that he's not going to play QB this year and so he's trying to get on the field any way he can. I still think Garrett will battle for the job in the spring. Some of the defensive players were very impressed with Garrett in this offense.

I'll also add that this is probably all going to be a moot point next year when Sawyer Robertson gets here. If you want to talk about real deal....He's it.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 09-10-2020 at 10:27 AM.

vCash

I feel the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I get the hype on Rogers because he knows the offense, but let's hold off on christening him the next Graham Harrell until he makes these throws with Alabama or LSU's D Line coming at him. I think this move is more about Garrett realizing that he's not going to play QB this year and so he's trying to get on the field any way he can. I still think Garrett will battle for the job in the spring. Some of the defensive players were very impressed with Garrett in this offense.

I'll also add that this is probably all going to be a moot point next year when Sawyer Robertson gets here. If you want to talk about real deal....He's it.
    Garrett is a clear #3 behind Will right now. I don't see that gap getting any closer I just think it continues to widen as Will gets more comfortable as a college QB. Unless this WR experiment takes off I'll be somewhat surprised if Garrett is here in the spring.

vCash
    This could be a David Sills situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Garrett is a clear #3 behind Will right now. I don't see that gap getting any closer I just think it continues to widen as Will gets more comfortable as a college QB. Unless this WR experiment takes off I'll be somewhat surprised if Garrett is here in the spring.
    That's what I'm thinking also.

vCash
    No doubt his size will help but size doesn't necessarily get you open consistently against SEC DB's. It gives him the potential to box out some guys and win some 50/50 balls over shorter DB's but I just see him struggling getting separation from most SEC DB's he'd face because he won't be fluid or agile enough side to side to create any separation. I'd love to be surprised and see him on the field at WR this season making some impact plays. It certainly could make for some interesting packages and trick plays.
    How many TEs have the agility to get open against SEC DBs? He seems as agile or more agile than most tightends. Granted he's not going to be getting in a three point stance, but he's also probably not going to be lined up on the outside going against a CB. If he plays, he'll be facing a lot of coverage from Safeties or maybe even outside linebackers if we're lucky. If we're facing zone, then it will be as much or more about his ability to find space.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    How many TEs have the agility to get open against SEC DBs? He seems as agile or more agile than most tightends. Granted he's not going to be getting in a three point stance, but he's also probably not going to be lined up on the outside going against a CB. If he plays, he'll be facing a lot of coverage from Safeties or maybe even outside linebackers if we're lucky. If we're facing zone, then it will be as much or more about his ability to find space.
    He is working outside though.

vCash
    Shrader is listed at 215. He's not going to be some big physical presence out there boxing people out.

I don't see him beating out Osirus or Shavers for reps, which is what he'll have to do to get on the field. I don't even see him beating out Dontae Jones who is actually 230, much more use to catching the ball, and has been practicing as a receiver since Leach showed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Shrader is listed at 215. He's not going to be some big physical presence out there boxing people out.

I don't see him beating out Osirus or Shavers for reps, which is what he'll have to do to get on the field. I don't even see him beating out Dontae Jones who is actually 230, much more use to catching the ball, and has been practicing as a receiver since Leach showed up.
    We’ll see. He looks bigger than 215 to me, but you never know if he’ll just be the guy that knows how to get open.