Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball recruiting class

vCash

Baseball recruiting class

Ranked 17th per Baseball America.

That's good but I want to see us do a little better. Just being honest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Ranked 17th per Baseball America.

That's good but I want to see us do a little better. Just being honest.
    I have no knowledge of the dynamics of this years recruiting cycle, but I agree....seems a top 20 class should be the basement of what we should expect. Many have certainly said Lem and his staff are the "best recruiters" in the country. You'd think that would manifest after a back to back trips to OMAHA, no? If I'm missing something, than by all means, I'll accept a correction.

vCash
    Yeah, no excuse to have the best stadium in college baseball and not have a top 10 class. And yes, I know baseball recruiting is different in that kids commit early. And also, we had a stretch of 4 coaches in 4 years so that doesn't help. But hopefully, with Lemonis being tabbed as a great recruiter, we start reeling in some top classes.

vCash
    Is this the re-ranking based on those making it to campus?

And yep, I agree. We need the goal of a single digit ranking. But if there was a year to miss slightly, it's this one given the returning depth and covid rules.
    Last edited by hp22; 09-02-2020 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I have no knowledge of the dynamics of this years recruiting cycle, but I agree....seems a top 20 class should be the basement of what we should expect. Many have certainly said Lem and his staff are the "best recruiters" in the country. You'd think that would manifest after a back to back trips to OMAHA, no? If I'm missing something, than by all means, I'll accept a correction.
    Delete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Here's the deal. Most of the class besides jucos was recruited by cann. Baseball recruiting is done way in advance. Lem and crew did add some valuable jucos. His recruiting won't be the problem.

vCash
    A few of the freshman have a shot to be a major leaguer. A couple of JC recruits too. It?s just not deep in HS talent to be ranked top 10. But lookout for the 2022 and 23 classes. Lemonis starts recruiting in 8-9th graders and he was too late for this class.

But all we want is to plug holes so we can win big. He did that and Mr. COVID did bc we won the draft this year.

vCash
    Miami looks ridiculously good. They kept a huge number of top-100 players. We don't even count top-100 as real recruits. The pandemic may have handed them a title contender in 2 or 3 years. The U has a bunch of great local kids. You look at the Georgia class, they would have been shredded by a normal draft. But instead they kept a stellar haul. Georgia Tech is #10, they have some great recruits at the top-level of their class.

2020 Baseball America Top 25 Recruiting Class Ranking
    1. Miami
    2. LSU
    3. Vanderbilt
    4. Arizona
    5. Florida
    6. South Carolina
    7. Stanford
    8. Texas
    9. Arkansas
    10. Georgia Tech
    11. Florida State
    12. Georgia
    13. Texas Christian
    14. Auburn
    15. Texas Tech
    16. Oklahoma
    17. Mississippi State
    18. North Carolina
    19. Tennessee
    20. Oklahoma State
    21. Mississippi
    22. Louisville
    23. Arizona State
    24. Southern California
    25. Florida International
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 09-02-2020 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Just a conspiracy theory on our recruiting: MSU don't like to risk too much time on too many stone-cold draft risks.

(1) Blaze was a joke recruit and we knew it all along
    (2) Hendricks just blew-up into Bryce Harper
    (3) We worked for a top-10 class with a regular draft (without COVID)

#17 this year is not as bad as it seems. I would not be surprised if the Miami team becomes a fiasco of players that transfer to Chipola after 0 games. The kids may have wanted to be "U" players but the parents may not want to actually pay $65K for mickey mouse Zoom Classes.

Seriously, when parents see the kindergarten topics of a "undecided" class, they are going to flip a middle finger to the Zoom professor and enroll in the kindergarden classes of Miami Dale Community College.

vCash
    Our classes down the road are looking better, though. Especially the 2023 class. Many guys are already committed early so it takes a few years to get really good classes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Just a conspiracy theory on our recruiting: MSU don't like to risk too much time on too many stone-cold draft risks.

(1) Blaze was a joke recruit and we knew it all along
    (2) Hendricks just blew-up into Bryce Harper
    (3) We worked for a top-10 class with a regular draft (without COVID)

#17 this year is not as bad as it seems. I would not be surprised if the Miami team becomes a fiasco of players that transfer to Chipola after 0 games. The kids may have wanted to be "U" players but the parents may not want to actually pay $65K for mickey mouse Zoom Classes.

Seriously, when parents see the kindergarten topics of a "undecided" class, they are going to flip a middle finger to the Zoom professor and enroll in the kindergarden classes of Miami Dale Community College.
    I think we take too many JUCO's. Maybe it was a necessity this year- I don't disagree with that. But eight? That's a lot. Almost all of them are projected to be bullpen arms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Our classes down the road are looking better, though. Especially the 2023 class. Many guys are already committed early so it takes a few years to get really good classes.
    I agree about the 2023 class. Jackson McKenzie was blowing up in events and showed some really good power. I'll be interested to see if we can keep Ethan Pulliam and Kellon Parnell. Dylan Cupp is going to be a good SS for us. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacob Keys, Riley Myers, and Rives Reynolds too.

vCash
    Discussion Question: Is not winning a natty keeping us out of consistently recruiting in the top 10? Yeah or Nay.

vCash
    I’d say nay since we are regularly in the top 10 in recruiting. Regardless of coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I agree about the 2023 class. Jackson McKenzie was blowing up in events and showed some really good power. I'll be interested to see if we can keep Ethan Pulliam and Kellon Parnell. Dylan Cupp is going to be a good SS for us. I've heard a lot of good things about Jacob Keys, Riley Myers, and Rives Reynolds too.
    Staff thinks cupp is best ss in the country.

vCash
    8th in the SEC, OUCH!!!!
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog View Post
    8th in the SEC, OUCH!!!!
    And the 2 of the 3 top rated in this class (Fristoe and Tepper) were late additions by Lemonis. I’m going to rack this ranking up to the Cannizaro fiasco and hope to see pretty consistent top 10 classes starting in a couple years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    And the 2 of the 3 top rated in this class (Fristoe and Tepper) were late additions by Lemonis. I’m going to rack this ranking up to the Cannizaro fiasco and hope to see pretty consistent top 10 classes starting in a couple years.
    We were also slaughtered by the draft. No one could've foreseen Hendricks making the type of jump he did when after he was committed and then the Blaze thing we always knew was 50/50 at best. Agree that the Cann thing and 3 coaches in 1 recruiting cycle probably hurt this class more than any other class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We were also slaughtered by the draft. No one could've foreseen Hendricks making the type of jump he did when after he was committed and then the Blaze thing we always knew was 50/50 at best. Agree that the Cann thing and 3 coaches in 1 recruiting cycle probably hurt this class more than any other class.
    Baseball recruiting ranks also gives you more credit for the more players you sign....and juco's have very little if any value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Baseball recruiting ranks also gives you more credit for the more players you sign....and juco's have very little if any value.
    Very true. It's also interesting to see the re ranking after 4 years. Case and point, Ole Miss had the number one recruiting class for 2016......ZERO trips to Omaha. Or take our 2017 class, ranked 24th yet has two trips to Omaha, two(and possibly 3) first round picks along with solid role players in Hatcher, Gilbert, and Rowdey.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 09-03-2020 at 09:54 AM.