Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Moscona On Matt Wyatt?s Show

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    I just don’t think folks realize how bad our defense is going to be.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Because everyone has a different definition of bad.

vCash
    I don't think it'll be Sirmon level bad, but it's going to be a struggle almost every game. We're going to have to try and force TO's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Because everyone has a different definition of bad.
    Personally I'm expecting something along the lines of in between 2015 and 2016. The 2015 D was 65th in YPG, but a much better 34th in PPG. The 2016 D was 85th in YPG and 75th in PPG.

There won't be as many teams, so these numbers won't happen, but comparatively I could see this D being LIKE 70th in YPG and 50th in PPG. Hopefully our style creates more turnovers despite the yards we will give up, and that's enough to scratch out 5ish wins.

vCash
    I don't think some realize how good our offense is going to be either. So we can go either way with that type statement. Some want to act like the defense being sub-average is the "end all" to the season. Well when you have a damn good offense to offset it, we can win some shootouts. Not necessarily with the Bama's and UGA's of the world but most every other defense we will face will be not as great as some like to build them up to be.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I just don?t think folks realize how bad our defense is going to be.
    Are you guys willingly not looking at what Leach's teams have done with subpar defenses over the last 20 years or what? Mike Leach having a bad defense isn't some new development in his career, yet he still wins. He has never had 3 4 star receivers, a 5 star OL and 2 4 star OL, a preseason all American running back, and a former all PAC 12 quarterback either. The transfer portal negated the normal first year "don't have what I need to run my offense" that Leach usually runs into. He's going to score a lot of points just like he always has. Joe Moorhead was awful but he didn't recruit bad. Leach isn't walking into a total rebuild.
    Last edited by Jarius; 09-03-2020 at 10:01 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Are you guys willingly not looking at what Leach's teams have done with subpar defenses over the last 20 years or what? Mike Leach having a bad defense isn't some new development in his career, yet he still wins. He has never had 3 4 star receivers, a 5 star OL and 2 4 star OL, a preseason all American running back, and a former all PAC 12 quarterback either. The transfer portal negated the normal first year "don't have what I need to run my offense" that Leach usually runs into. He's going to score a lot of points just like he always has. Joe Moorhead was awful but he didn't recruit bad. Leach isn't walking into a total rebuild.
    You're correct that Joe did not recruit bad. He actually recruited well for how bad our on field results were, however Dan really put us in a bad spot on defense before he left and this is kind of the class that is going to suffer because of that. As has been stated a lot before, we've got a lot of young talent on D but this year is going to be a struggle. We'll be good in the long run. We just have to avoid having a bad D class.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    You're correct that Joe did not recruit bad. He actually recruited well for how bad our on field results were, however Dan really put us in a bad spot on defense before he left and this is kind of the class that is going to suffer because of that. As has been stated a lot before, we've got a lot of young talent on D but this year is going to be a struggle. We'll be good in the long run. We just have to avoid having a bad D class.
    This is an awful year to have the worst in state defensive class in the history of this state (or at least since I have been keeping up with recruiting). We are leading or in the game for some big time defensive players next year in state and we really need to land them. I do agree that we are going to suck on defense this year and probably for the next few years. Dan recruited juco heavy and they panned out but you are correct he screwed us with the underclass men. Having Leach here to offset the god awful defense with his offense will make it less painful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    And his first year offenses haven't been as good. It's generally taken a couple years to get it all in place. We didn't have good WRs. That's the big issue. When his WRs get here, then the offense will be good. But, we've got a pretty solid OL and good RBs. We've got a proven QB (but not in this system). Going to be up and down. I think you'll see Tulu and Heath both starting somehow before the year is over. We need both on the field. The rest is a wait and see at WR. Consistency is the question mark. And we're going to need to score 30+ to win games. Would be nice to have OOC games to start the season. That would've been big. No spring set us back a good bit.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    And his first year offenses haven't been as good. It's generally taken a couple years to get it all in place. We didn't have good WRs. That's the big issue. When his WRs get here, then the offense will be good. But, we've got a pretty solid OL and good RBs. We've got a proven QB (but not in this system). Going to be up and down. I think you'll see Tulu and Heath both starting somehow before the year is over. We need both on the field. The rest is a wait and see at WR. Consistency is the question mark. And we're going to need to score 30+ to win games. Would be nice to have OOC games to start the season. That would've been big. No spring set us back a good bit.
    His worst rated passing offense in his career was around 10th in the country his first year at Washington State. It's generally taken a couple of years because the transfer portal hasn't existed when he was at other stops to begin his time there. 247 just put out an update that flies in the face of everything some of you are saying here. I realize they paint a rosy picture sometimes, but they have way better "sources" than anyone on this board.

He will have better wide receivers in his first year here than at any other stop he's ever had. The problem with our receivers is not talent and never has been. That's showing up in every practice report 247 is giving. They also talk about how bad the defense is so it's not all rose spiked drinks.
    Last edited by Jarius; 09-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Are they better than they were in 2017? We beat them badly by 30 points.

Aren't they down to just ONE starter returning from 2019? Sure, every LSU team since 2001 has had talent, but because of the losses and opt outs, this may be the least talented LSU team in many years.
    From what I understand, LSU was going to have eight returning starters BUT several of those have opted OUT. Here is a list of MOST IMPORTANT RETURNEES .. (

*No. 5 G Ed Ingram. LSU is going through a significant transition on the offensive line after losing 4 starters from last season. ...
    No. 4 NT Tyler Shelvin. ...
    No. 3 WR Ja'Marr Chase. ...

No. 2 CB/RS Derek Stingley Jr. ...
    No. 1 QB Myles Brennan.

Guys in BOLD have opted out

*Ingram was charged two years ago with domestic violence BUT has been reinstated. (Go figure)

A lot hinges on 'how good' Brennan turns out to be. He has only thrown 70 passes in his career BUT has never started a game. BIG difference in starting and coming in with a 40 point lead. And, while I do believe that LSU WRs are better than MSUs, State has the better QB.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Would be nice to have OOC games to start the season.
    BUT it is ALSO the first game for LSU AND MSU actually has way more 'experienced players' than LSU.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Matt Moscona, the Baton Rouge sports talk/LSU fanboy, came on Wyatt?s show today and stated on LSU?s opt outs in regards to the MSU game.

?Matt... it just doesn?t matter. LSU is a 20 point favorite and will win that game by 3 TDs?

Unreal disrespect to say it doesn?t matter. Just absolutely looking at helmets.

The LSU media is the worst. These are the same people that ignore a pay for play scheme through a children?s hospital
    Not saying we are going to win but if that is the attitude, then as Mullen said in 2014, they don't know what is about to hit them.

vCash
    May be but he has never had this kind of talent either so we'll see. He is playing in the SEC which will be tougher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I 100% disagree with you on "early in the uear talent wins out"

Its the opposite. Early in the year LSUs coordinators dont have film on us to see where the weaknesses are. Early in the year their talent doesnt have experience.

As the year goes on, each team approaches its potential. At the start of the year, some teams moght be 80% of what they will be at the end, some 50%, etc. Therefore, chaos is more likely to happen early than late

This is why everyone schedules cupcakes week 1 and 2- it gives the coaches a chance to see the obvious weaknesses and fix them before they play a team of comparable talent.

Literally the only reason i think we have any shot is because its game 1, and not game 7
    I agree. In previous seasons LSU has improved as the season has gone on, like in 2017. Even though we beat them by 30 points, they ended up having a better season than we did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    BUT it is ALSO the first game for LSU AND MSU actually has way more 'experienced players' than LSU.
    Meh, LSU still has more talent. Talent wins with all things equal like OOC games. Plus they're at home (but a day game with less crowd). If we weren't going to such a different scheme on both sides of the ball, it might favor us (but not Jomo's system). We need reps in a completely new system. And if they prove me wrong, great! I'm just going by what I'm hearing.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 09-03-2020 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    May be but he has never had this kind of talent either so we'll see. He is playing in the SEC which will be tougher.
    Sure he has. This isn't the most talent team we've had. Especially at WR and WR touches the ball most plays in this offense. Upfront we probably are better and at RB we are better. But that's about it. He's also not facing Big 12 and PAC defenses. The SEC West I the best of the best.
    And I'm not saying we'll suck. I'm just saying people need to temper expectations a bit.

vCash
    Sure he has. This isn't the most talent team we've had. Especially at WR and WR touches the ball most plays in this offense. Upfront we probably are better and at RB we are better. But that's about it. He's also not facing Big 12 and PAC defenses. The SEC West I the best of the best.
    And I'm not saying we'll suck. I'm just saying people need to temper expectations a bit.
    What defense other than Bama and UGA will Leach face this year that is better than like Oregon's defense typically is? Cristobal has gotten away from the typical "fast and physically softer" type of mantra that was associated with Oregon before he got in. His teams are pretty damn physical and they've got speed along with that. They're comparable to the better defenses in the SEC not named Bama or UGA or a strong LSU defense. I'd throw Washington in there but Leach just didn't have a ton of success against Washington but maybe a couple games where they had a respectable showing on offense.

SEC defenses are so overhyped now. The big boys are typically the same year in and year out but once you get past Bama, UGA, LSU in a strong year, UF in a strong year, and every once in a while Auburn then the defenses become very average and not what they're built up to be. That's just my opinion and some of that could possibly be debunked with stats but I feel like it could also probably be mostly backed up with some stats but I'm not going stats digging to prove it.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Not talking about talent compared to MSU past but Leach himself. On average he made a big talent jump. He has said so himself on the talent at MSU and this league. Even though our D talent is down per MSU standards, it is as good or better than he has had. He said in press conference athletically we are ahead of where he has been before. Agree on Pac10 and SEC Ds.

I have no big expectations this year but that we are more organized, play hard, physical, not out of shape, etc. 5-6 wins at best. We may catch a team sleeping (LSU, TAMU or Aub) and lose one we shouldn't (possible Olemiss).

vCash
    I just don?t think folks realize how bad our defense is going to be.
    There is no way that our defense will be worse than last year and no way that our offense will be as bad either. Think about that for a minute. No. Way.