Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Athletic Article On LSU?s Problems

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjax View Post
    Someone help me understand why so many people today have started to reject the foundational American principle of freedom of speech and freedom of conscience? What happened to the free marketplace of ideas, and the concept that the best ideas and truth would ultimately prevail?

If anything will ever ultimately cause the downfall of American democracy, it is this.
    Communism.

vCash
    We voted for the lesser of two evils. When your choices are both complete dumbasses you take the one who shows the least amount of dumbassedry. Kinda like coming own to 2 fat chicks at closing time. Take the skinniest fat one and go home.

ETA this was in response to was21

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Political beliefs in friends and a person who is more or less a leader to you are fundamentally different though.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The whole issue is not about what or who players or coaches support or don't support politically. Its bringing all of that into a college sponsored team. Players or coaches should not be wearing left wing political patches on their uniforms nor should conservative players or coaches be wearing right wing political patches on their uniforms. Everyone already knows that most of the sports teams they pull for (college or pro) are made up of mostly liberal people because football and basketball teams are majority African-American of which about 90% in this country lean left. That's just statistics. But when you go out on a college field or you practice to prepare to go on the field, you are supposedly representing a university's sports team, not a political movement of either type.
    BLM isn't or shall I say shouldn't be left or right. That is how you see it. Not necessarily how the players see it. It only becomes political when a person is backing a politician that is fundamentally against BLM.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I?m good with them putting names and honoring true victims, not sex offenders who have felony warrants for sexual assault, are actively trying to assault a woman and resist arrest the way Blake did. Their message gets lost when these type people are defended as opposed the real victims.

vCash
    The whole issue is not about what or who players or coaches support or don't support politically. Its bringing all of that into a college sponsored team. Players or coaches should not be wearing left wing political patches on their uniforms nor should conservative players or coaches be wearing right wing political patches on their uniforms. Everyone already knows that most of the sports teams they pull for (college or pro) are made up of mostly liberal people because football and basketball teams are majority African-American of which about 90% in this country lean left. That's just statistics. But when you go out on a college field or you practice to prepare to go on the field, you are supposedly representing a university's sports team, not a political movement of either type.
    This is where I am at, 17 everyone that cannot support equal protection under the law. If black folks are being treated unfairly, if white folks are being treated unfairly, if Hispanics are being treated unfairly then I want to know about it. Our country is too bad ass to allow this injustice crap a single day longer.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    BLM isn't or shall I say shouldn't be left or right. That is how you see it. Not necessarily how the players see it. It only becomes political when a person is backing a politician that is fundamentally against BLM.
    The fact that lives of black people matter is in no way political.

BLM is openly political. It is admittedly a fundraising arm of the democratic party.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjax View Post
    Someone help me understand why so many people today have started to reject the foundational American principle of freedom of speech and freedom of conscience? What happened to the free marketplace of ideas, and the concept that the best ideas and truth would ultimately prevail?

If anything will ever ultimately cause the downfall of American democracy, it is this.
    Social media

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

BLM is openly political. It is admittedly a fundraising arm of the democratic party.
    Ohhh boo hoo. And the TEA Party ruined america by simply existing.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    And before you mention it, Tea Party people are now the racist Republicans. Same dudes. They just wear a new hat.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Naw just kidding. Everything is great.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    This is where I am at, 17 everyone that cannot support equal protection under the law. If black folks are being treated unfairly, if white folks are being treated unfairly, if Hispanics are being treated unfairly then I want to know about it. Our country is too bad ass to allow this injustice crap a single day longer.
    Agreed, legally blacks have every right and opportunity UNDER THE LAW that every other race has in this country. But even if I was to accept that BLM, at its core, is not political but they just want police reform so black suspects are not treated with lethal force in any case where it could be avoided (I really don't have a clue what else they want), where does it end? Anti-abortionists want social justice for the unborn and its not really political either but they get support from the other side of the political spectrum. Is everyone OK with some football players wearing anti-abortion patches on their uniforms? Its a slippery slope, if you are going to allow some social statements on uniforms you will have to allow a large range of things or it will be taken to court. None of these players, pro or college, seem to want to band together and do political activity on their own time which is supposed to be the American way, they all seem to want to use their employers' time or their college program's time (where they are given a full ride plus). None of us could show up at our employer tomorrow spending our time protesting and focusing on social issues rather than our job and expect it all just to be accepted, but that seems to be where sports has now gone.

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    BLM, the organization, is political. Look at where money that is donated goes.

vCash
    NCAA poking around has dried up a lot of the money flowing around there too. Although there is a lot of cabbage being thrown at that receiver they signed from Provine

vCash
    Yeah, there is a huge difference in #blm and #BLM.

vCash
    I agree 100%. And I disagree with the media who seem to make it a mission to make sports into a political statement circus. "Teams should be having discussions about race..." There's a time and place for that discussion. I don't think the team meeting room is necessarily the place. There are some issues that are uncomfortable to talk about because they are divisive- POLITICS, religion, and Backstreet Boys or N'Sync are simply uncomfortable to talk about especially when you are trying to teach a group of men how to work together. And the thing about it is no matter what one group believes the honest truth is whatever each individual belief is there's probably not a lot that can change it.

I think one of the great things about sports- let's use football as an example- is you can take guys from all different backgrounds. Let's say we have a player from Jackson Prep, one from Madison Central, one from Callaway, one from Tupelo, one from Greenwood, one from Kosciousko, and one from NOLA. All different places and demographics- which leads to different life experiences for each. But if you can get that group together and say "Hey, we're going to get together and we're going to work together and we're going to win the Egg Bowl and then go win the Sugar Bowl" and you show that group of men what they can do together despite how different the lives were I think that's what it's really all about. And that leads to respect and empathy. And that's the problem with society as a whole- there's just a lot of lack of respect for both sides so there is no meeting in the middle.

But what I think the media is promoting is not meeting in the middle. And that goes against the teamwork and the things I just said.

Heck- I had a discussion with my supervisor about the state flag issue this week which she brought and I was on pins and needles and I agreed with her on the issue that it should have been changed.

vCash
    Ohhh boo hoo. And the TEA Party ruined america by simply existing.
    Huh? He was simply stating that they are in fact political when you stated that it shouldn't be. When any organization openly claims to be political it is of course going to be political. It has absolutely zero to do with a politician that is against them.

And then instead if discussing the topic, you pull the ole boo hoo and pivot to the tea party which has nothing to do with it as they were openly political as well just as BLM is.

The statement Black Lives Matter shouldn't be political but thanks to the organization BLM is is unfortunately now political.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post

Well said

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good stuff here

- locker room is split due to Orgeron?s support of a Trump
    - Players didn?t notify Orgeron of their protest

Article doesn?t offer a ton of details but IMO CFB coaches are in a real pickle right now. Do you stand up for what you believe, if your more right, or do you just give in to prevent from losing your team.

I couldn?t help but cringe the other day when I saw Saban leading the parade because I wasn?t sure if he was doing it for recruiting or because it?s what he truly believed.

[Tweet2]1301186894005370880[/tweet2]
    We are in a sad spot in our society regarding freedoms, opinions, etc.

I had the same bad feeling about Saban the other day too. Either way Saban proved who he really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    There's a very good reason employers don't want politics and religion discussed in the work place.
    True that except now many seem to be forcing it on everyone.