Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whisky or Whiskey

vCash

Whisky or Whiskey

Been a while since there's been a thread on your whisky/whiskey of choice. What you drinking?

Buffalo Trace has gotten scarce. I'll drink Old Charter in its place. Knocked out some Russell's Reserve recently. Strong but a little bitter finish. I generally don't go beyond 12 year old because it starts to get pretty woodsy tasting. But there are exceptions. Also hit some Bruichlidiech (sp) scotch whisky. I go with the unpeated.

vCash
    Wiskay.

I actually find Clyde May's Special Reserve pretty damn good.

vCash
    I've been loving some Eagle Rare. Excellent value for a 10 year old bourbon. I've never really been a fan of Dewars, but I picked up a bottle of their 15 year Monarch, and it's super good.

vCash
    Neither....Beer Only

vCash
    Clyde Mays has some fine whiskeys .... Last week while cleaning and organizing my wife's parents house that we are inheriting we found two bottles of Whiskey .... a bottle of Very Old Bartons and a bottle of Jack Daniels.
    The Bartons was bottled in 1992 after aging 6 years making it around 34 years old - broke the tape on it and finished it that same weekend. Bartons in my opinion has never really been anything special but it was incredibly smooth and easy (it's only 80 proof but had a nice easy burn to it anyway) - almost too easy as I went through it faster than I should have..... The JD Old #7 was bottled in 1995 making it about about 32 years old and I'm saving it for next years vacation.... but it might not make it past the egg bowl as I'm incredibly curious and tempted
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I enjoy some Wild Turkey American Honey.

If you're in Mississippi and want to support someone local, check out Rich Grain. He's based in Canton and was the first distillery to legally distill bourbon since before prohibition. I bought a bottle of his first run of Bourbon Whiskey that aged for 3 years. Still haven't opened it, and that was about 3 years ago or so. His corn whiskey and white rum are pretty good, but his Spiced Rum is amazing.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    I enjoy some Wild Turkey American Honey.

If you're in Mississippi and want to support someone local, check out Rich Grain. He's based in Canton and was the first distillery to legally distill bourbon since before prohibition. I bought a bottle of his first run of Bourbon Whiskey that aged for 3 years. Still haven't opened it, and that was about 3 years ago or so. His corn whiskey and white rum are pretty good, but his Spiced Rum is amazing.
    I wouldn't mind sampling some home distilled whiskey .... as a matter of useless knowledge - it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I wouldn't mind sampling some home distilled whiskey .... as a matter of useless knowledge - it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon
    This is true. But I see non-Kentucky distilled whiskeys (Clyde May's) still occassionally label their's as bourbon on the bottle. At least, i have an old bottle of Clyde that is printed directly onto the bottle and listed as "Alabama Bourbon" hahaha.

vCash
    Just going by what he calls it, ha. Not sure of the availability out of state, but his drinks can be found throughout Mississippi. Just ask at your local liquor store. Chances are, the bottle will have a little dust on from sitting for awhile because people just don't know about it.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I'll see your useless knowledge and in true whisky nerd fashion raise you a federal regulation:

"Bourbon whisky", "rye whisky", "wheat whisky", "malt whisky", or "rye malt whisky" is whisky produced at not exceeding 160 proof from a fermented mash of not less than 51 percent corn, rye, wheat, malted barley, or malted rye grain, respectively, and stored at not more than 125 proof in charred new oak containers; and also includes mixtures of such whiskies of the same type.
    27 CFR Sec. 5.22(b)(1)(i).

So I don't think there's a geographical requirement for the word "bourbon" unless a bottler labels it as "Kentucky Bourbon" or whatever. In other words, I can distill a bourbon in Tennessee and label it as such, but I can't call it "Kentukcy bourbon."
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 08-27-2020 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I've been loving some Eagle Rare. Excellent value for a 10 year old bourbon. I've never really been a fan of Dewars, but I picked up a bottle of their 15 year Monarch, and it's super good.
    Eagle Rare is good. It's getting scarce like Buffalo Trace.

vCash
    You can find non-KY bourbon now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    I'll see your useless knowledge and in true whisky nerd fashion raise you a federal regulation:

27 CFR Sec. 5.22(b)(1)(i).

So I don't think there's a geographical requirement for the word "bourbon" unless a bottler labels it as "Kentucky Bourbon" or whatever. In other words, I can distill a bourbon in Tennessee and label it as such, but I can't call it "Kentukcy bourbon."
    I Fold

vCash
    Taking off my King of the Know-it-all Nerds crown, though, I've been digging these lately:

Bourbon - Baker's, Eagle Rare, and Woodford Double Oaked

Scotch - Compass Box Great King's St. Artists' Blend

Irish - Bushmill's 10 Year Single Malt

vCash
    it's not officially "Bourbon" unless distilled in Kentucky .... Kentucky actually has a copy write on the word Bourbon
    Going to have to DISAGREE. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the UNITED STATES. Here are the 'official' rules from the American Bourbon Association ..https://americanbourbonassociation.com/bourbon-what-is

There are many factors that make bourbon whiskey a singular and distinct spirit. One of the biggest reasons bourbon stands out among other spirits is the presence of strict rules and regulations for production. Because of the safely guarded regulations of crafting bourbon, the quality, character and continuity of the spirit is maintained.

Among the standards that contribute most to bourbon?s unique qualities:

New barrels
    The requirement for new charred oak barrels contribute to better aging and color characteristics. Since no artificial colorings or flavorings can be added, this requirement is instrumental in the maturation of bourbon flavor. Other types of whiskey can be aged in used barrels.

All Natural, No additives
    Unlike other types of whiskeys (Canadian, Scotch, Irish), where coloring and flavor additives may be present, bourbon maintains an authentic and unadulterated profile.

Barrel Storage
    Bourbon barrels are often stored on their side in ricks, which allow for airflow throughout aging warehouses. This type of storage is unique, whereas other types of whiskeys are aged on pallets or standing on the ground. It is believed that the airflow is a major differentiating factor in the bourbon craft.

Recipe
    Bourbon recipes consist of at least 51% corn, which creates a sweet flavor. Other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are added for a more complex flavor. Other types of whiskeys might only use one grain. This is another factor in the distinct flavor characteristics of bourbon .

Aging Conditions

The temperature extremes between hot summer and cool winter seasons where bourbon is crafted contribute greatly to the aging process in bourbon whiskey. The temperature changes affect how the bourbon reacts with the oak, resulting in an accelerated aging process, relative to other whiskeys.

Straight

For bourbon to be designated ?straight bourbon whiskey? it must have aged in new charred oak barrels for a period of at least two years.

Bottled In Bond
    Bourbon classified as Bottled In Bond must have been made during a single distilled season at one distillery, aged in a federally bonded warehouse for a period of at least four years and bottled at 100 proof as originally defined in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897. Only American whiskeys can carry the label of ?Bottled in Bond,? and any such bourbon label must identify the distillery from which it was distilled and bottled.

Virginia makes some good Bourbons ..

A. Smith Bowman Distillery?Fredericksburga smith bowman distillery john j bowman bourbon whiskey fredericksburg distillery
    The oldest continuously-running distillery in Virginia, A. Smith Bowman has become known for their internationally acclaimed bourbons, which have won the ?World?s Best Bourbon? at the World Whiskies Awards for several years. The Fredericksburg-based distillery offers free tours and tastings on the hour during opening hours, walking visitors through the history of the distillery, sharing the meticulous process of creating their signature spirits, and finishing with a tasting of the products discussed during the tour. They offer several Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskeys named for their historic distilling family, including John J. Bowman, a Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bowman Brothers, a Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and Isaac Bowman, a Port Barrel Finished Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
    Last edited by BiscuitEater; 08-27-2020 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    I Fold
    Victory is mine!

Fun fact: The George Bailey shuffle is, and I'm totally serious here, my touchdown dance. Needless to say, Dak's tenure was an epic time in my household.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BiscuitEater View Post
    Going to have to DISAGREE. Bourbon can be made anywhere in the UNITED STATES. Here are the 'official' rules from the American Bourbon Association ..https://americanbourbonassociation.com/bourbon-what-is

There are many factors that make bourbon whiskey a singular and distinct spirit. One of the biggest reasons bourbon stands out among other spirits is the presence of strict rules and regulations for production. Because of the safely guarded regulations of crafting bourbon, the quality, character and continuity of the spirit is maintained.

Among the standards that contribute most to bourbon?s unique qualities:

New barrels
    The requirement for new charred oak barrels contribute to better aging and color characteristics. Since no artificial colorings or flavorings can be added, this requirement is instrumental in the maturation of bourbon flavor. Other types of whiskey can be aged in used barrels.

All Natural, No additives
    Unlike other types of whiskeys (Canadian, Scotch, Irish), where coloring and flavor additives may be present, bourbon maintains an authentic and unadulterated profile.

Barrel Storage
    Bourbon barrels are often stored on their side in ricks, which allow for airflow throughout aging warehouses. This type of storage is unique, whereas other types of whiskeys are aged on pallets or standing on the ground. It is believed that the airflow is a major differentiating factor in the bourbon craft.

Recipe
    Bourbon recipes consist of at least 51% corn, which creates a sweet flavor. Other grains such as rye, wheat and malted barley are added for a more complex flavor. Other types of whiskeys might only use one grain. This is another factor in the distinct flavor characteristics of bourbon .

Aging Conditions

The temperature extremes between hot summer and cool winter seasons where bourbon is crafted contribute greatly to the aging process in bourbon whiskey. The temperature changes affect how the bourbon reacts with the oak, resulting in an accelerated aging process, relative to other whiskeys.

Straight

For bourbon to be designated ?straight bourbon whiskey? it must have aged in new charred oak barrels for a period of at least two years.

Bottled In Bond
    Bourbon classified as Bottled In Bond must have been made during a single distilled season at one distillery, aged in a federally bonded warehouse for a period of at least four years and bottled at 100 proof as originally defined in the Bottled-in-Bond Act of 1897. Only American whiskeys can carry the label of ?Bottled in Bond,? and any such bourbon label must identify the distillery from which it was distilled and bottled.

Virginia makes some good Bourbons ..

A. Smith Bowman Distillery?Fredericksburga smith bowman distillery john j bowman bourbon whiskey fredericksburg distillery
    The oldest continuously-running distillery in Virginia, A. Smith Bowman has become known for their internationally acclaimed bourbons, which have won the ?World?s Best Bourbon? at the World Whiskies Awards for several years. The Fredericksburg-based distillery offers free tours and tastings on the hour during opening hours, walking visitors through the history of the distillery, sharing the meticulous process of creating their signature spirits, and finishing with a tasting of the products discussed during the tour. They offer several Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskeys named for their historic distilling family, including John J. Bowman, a Single Barrel Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bowman Brothers, a Small Batch Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and Isaac Bowman, a Port Barrel Finished Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
    I really thought that in order to label your whiskey as a bourbon it had to be distilled in Kentucky. I thought that was a thing. In fact, it's one of the reasons Clyde May's started distilling their Special Reserve in Kentucky so that they could legally label it as a bourbon...but maybe it's more of a gentleman's agreement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I really thought that in order to label your whiskey as a bourbon it had to be distilled in Kentucky. I thought that was a thing. In fact, it's one of the reasons Clyde May's started distilling their Special Reserve in Kentucky so that they could legally label it as a bourbon...but maybe it's more of a gentleman's agreement.
    My guess is that Clyde May's originally used bourbon distilled in Kentucky just because they didn't have any of their own to sell yet. But I think they're selling stuff that they distilled themselves now, aren't they?

vCash
    Mildly but not really on topic, what bottles have y'all bought lately that just weren't up to snuff?

My most recent dud is especially disappointing -- 2020's version of George Dickel Bottled in Bond. I thought last year's 13-year-old version was really good. I didn't like it quite as much as some reviewers did, but still, great stuff for a good price. This year's, though, man, it's not my bag at all. The sip starts out as Dickel but then immediately turns into what I can only describe as a bland, ultra dry bitterness. Closest thing I can think of is the aftertaste of plain club soda, but amped up to 11. And it sticks with you for a bit, too. I'm an unabashed Dickel fanboy, but this one is just way off the mark for me.

vCash
    Just finished off a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch last night. Also, Michter's American Whiskey has been a go-to recently.

Anyone tried Larceny? I enjoy wheated bourbons if I'm in the mood for something sweeter, so think I'll try it soon.

On sort of the other end of the spectrum, if I want something a little different I go for the Ardbeg 10. I think I'll try Ardbeg Uigeadail when that bottle runs out.