Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Depth Chart

vCash
    This is a game of jimmy"a and joe's unless moorhead is coaching them.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Reminds me a 2012. Plenty of solid players, but no playmakers. Not sure I see anybody that is going to be disruptive or demand a double team, and then you couple that with an inexperienced secondary.

ETA: If arnett can create a disruptive defense with his scheme and this defense, I think we'll have reason to feel really good about him. Even if his total defensive stats don't look good, if he creates turnovers and three and outs by being aggressive at the expense of giving up a lot of big plays, I'm not sure that's a terrible approach with Leach's offense (eventually; not sure the offense will be particularly good this year).

We had plenty of playmakers in 2012. We had the Thorpe award winner and a current pro bowl corner in the same secondary. We had an awful DC that had no business getting that job.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    So none of Korey Charles, Esias Furdge or Jaylon Reed are SEC quality CBs? Also, anyone know what the deal is with Tyler Williams?

He quit on his team a month before the season and held a valuable scholarship hostage at a big position of need because he all of a sudden doesn’t know if he wants to play football any more.
    Last edited by Jarius; 08-19-2020 at 08:59 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    He quit on his team a month before the season and held a valuable scholarship hostage at a big position of need because he all of a sudden doesn?t know if he wants to play football any more.
    Well by then the league has already said they were gonna honor all scholarships so you think he was going to walk away from all that?? Free easy money.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Well by then the league has already said they were gonna honor all scholarships so you think he was going to walk away from all that?? Free easy money.
    Oh I never expected him to walk away from it. Graduating from MSU debt free and not fulfilling your obligations to do so is a good gig if you can get it.

vCash
    This is a game of jimmy"a and joe's unless moorhead is coaching them.
    I agree with that. But the thing about the game today is the Jimmy's and Joe's also have to be well conditioned and have discipline too. And that's where Joe ultimately failed.

vCash
    I expect Purvis to break in the depth chart somewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    We had plenty of playmakers in 2012. We had the Thorpe award winner and a current pro bowl corner in the same secondary. We had an awful DC that had no business getting that job.
    I clarified in another post that I meant in the front 7. And while Wilson did a terrible job, it's also really had to play defense in the SEC without a single DL that needs to be double teamed. And we played Cherrington a lot that year if that tells you anything about our DL.

On the other hand, we did have Denico Autry, who I always thought just needed a year to get adjusted to the SEC, but it probably is pretty likely that Wilson must have held him back some, because usually your JUCOs with NFL talent manage to adjust midway through their first season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Thats going to be the worst D we have put on the field in awhile.
    As usual, you are wrong. You're getting senile in your old age.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    I'll side closer to coach on this.. Our defense wasn't good last year and we lost several major pieces, hard to see it being a whole lot better. Juco's usually take half a season to get up to speed. might see a jump halfway through. We shall see.

vCash
    I'll side closer to coach on this.. Our defense wasn't good last year and we lost several major pieces, hard to see it being a whole lot better. Juco's usually take half a season to get up to speed. might see a jump halfway through. We shall see.
    I think it will be on par with last year. Especially since gay only played 3.5 games and dantzler what, 7? Losing Lovett and rivers hurt. Jones sucked last year, Forbes can give you this year what jones gave you last year.

You seem to agree. C34 said it will be worse. We will see.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I clarified in another post that I meant in the front 7. And while Wilson did a terrible job, it's also really had to play defense in the SEC without a single DL that needs to be double teamed. And we played Cherrington a lot that year if that tells you anything about our DL.

On the other hand, we did have Denico Autry, who I always thought just needed a year to get adjusted to the SEC, but it probably is pretty likely that Wilson must have held him back some, because usually your JUCOs with NFL talent manage to adjust midway through their first season.
    Yea I believe that Wilson was the problem. B. McKinney was also on that defense. He's a STUD for the Texans. Cam Lawrence made an NFL roster. Autry is playing lights out in the NFL. Josh Boyd made an NFL roster. A Thorpe award winning corner. An all pro corner. Preston Smith was not developed yet but he's a monster and was also on the roster and played.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I'll say I would much rather have problems in the secondary than problems in the front 7 and I don't think it will be a worse defense than Sirmon, but I'm not expecting much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There is no way it will be worse than what we watched last year. No way. Due to effort alone.
    We are worse at LB, Safety, and CB. Our front is middle of the pack SEC at the very best. We have zero depth. Sure, I expect a better effort and for us to be well-coached- but that only goes so far. Hell, we were well-coached on D last year. We just don?t have the impact players needed to stop SEC athletes or handle good SEC OL?s. Bet the overs early before Vegas figures it out
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I love these kinds of posts. File this one along with we can beat LSU/Orgeron is an awful Coach, we have a chance to win at Auburn, we have a chance to win at A&M/Jimbo sux, no way we have a losing season in 2019, and now that Joe has his QB our offense will be one of the SEC’s best

vCash
    We are worse at LB, Safety, and CB. Our front is middle of the pack SEC at the very best. We have zero depth. Sure, I expect a better effort and for us to be well-coached- but that only goes so far. Hell, we were well-coached on D last year. We just don?t have the impact players needed to stop SEC athletes or handle good SEC OL?s. Bet the overs early before Vegas figures it out
    Why do you think this defense will be worse than last year?
    How are we worse at lb and safety?

It will be hard to tell honestly, just due to the fact that we play 10 sec games with no sucky teams to rest players against. This defense could be better but be beat up and injured and allow more points just due to the schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why do you think this defense will be worse than last year?
    How are we worse at lb and safety?

It will be hard to tell honestly, just due to the fact that we play 10 sec games with no sucky teams to rest players against. This defense could be better but be beat up and injured and allow more points just due to the schedule.
    I don't think our defense will be as bad as our worst defensive games last year. Probably won't be any better than our best games and may be worse. But you're right it will be hard to compare playing a ten game SEC schedule.

vCash
    I love these kinds of posts. File this one along with we can beat LSU/Orgeron is an awful Coach, we have a chance to win at Auburn, we have a chance to win at A&M/Jimbo sux, no way we have a losing season in 2019, and now that Joe has his QB our offense will be one of the SEC’s best
    Wait, you think Jimbo has been a good coach the last 5 years?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyDawg View Post
    Wait, you think Jimbo has been a good coach the last 5 years?
    Jimbo has now flipped the roster and gotten the talent level closer to the top as opposed to out of the middle. They should be pretty damn good this year. If he throws out a 6-4 this Fall then its a definite bad look. They should be an 8 win team

vCash
    No, we had a disease from top to bottom thanks to Joe. We were not well coached on D last year. We looked better when the Tutorgate guys got to play but I don't think the defense was well coached. We will be better coached this year but, like you say, the talent gap is going to rear its ugly head in about half the games we play.