Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defensive Depth Chart

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    So none of Korey Charles, Esias Furdge or Jaylon Reed are SEC quality CBs? Also, anyone know what the deal is with Tyler Williams?
    At least two of those guys will have to play out of necessity but I'm not sure if any of them are SEC quality guys. Furdge is probably the most likely to contribute of those three if I had to guess. He's only a sophomore so I'm not ready to write him off yet. Reed had a really weird recruitment in that he committed to us, we dropped him, and then we gave him a scholarship again at the last minute before signing day, so I was always iffy on if he would ever contribute. But he's still a young guy so who knows. Charles is a fifth year senior and he's not even really being discussed as a starting option at corner, I don't mean to pick on the guy but that should probably tell you what you need to know there.

The problem with all of those guys is we've recruited better players after them who have surpassed them. Emerson, Forbes, and arguably even Richardson are younger guys who are ahead of them on the depth chart in all likelihood. So I'm not sure how much of an opportunity any of them will ever really get unless we are just decimated with injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    DE - Jones
    NG - Crumedy/Pickering
    DE - Spencer
    Hybrid - Davis
    LB - Thompson
    LB - Brule
    CB - Emerson
    CB - Forbes
    Dog - Murphy
    FS - Peters
    SS - Preston/Duncan
    Are there any players that will make more than typical gains due to improved strength and conditioning?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    I think Erroll, Pickering, Davis, Emerson and Murphy can be playmakers. Forbes had a ton of picks in HS (yes, HS) so I could see him making some big plays but also giving up some big plays being a true freshman.

I'm concerned about depth and holding up over the course of a game/season. I think we'll fly around but just won't have the horses to consistently get stops. I hope we're ultra aggressive and go for broke, because I fear the bend but don't break approach will just lead to consistently breaking.
    I should have clarified playmakers in the front. In 2012 we had Banks and Slay. Did have a pretty big weak link at FS in Nikoe who was playing basically injured that sort of negated the benefit of having two lock down corners, and completely negated some games as however Chris Wilson taught them to line up made it easy for other teams to manipulate Nikoe into covering their best receiver (e.g., Moncrief in egg bowl).

Maybe Erroll having better strength and conditioning this year will be a game changer for him, but he didn't seem like a playmaker last year. Don't know about Jordan. Pickering maybe has a chance but you really have to be good to cause problems form the interior DL and I'm not sure he's there yet. Spencer and Kobe both seem like sold DL to me but not gamechangers. SPencer is another guy like Erroll that hasn't turned into what I was expecting based on production as a young player. Maybe he's fully recovered from his injury now and with the new strength and conditioning program, will show out.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 08-19-2020 at 10:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    Or Kyle Cass?
    Cass listed on the roster as a Safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Thats going to be the worst D we have put on the field in awhile.
    Just imagine if we would have kept jomo to coach it lol

vCash
    There is no way it will be worse than what we watched last year. No way. Due to effort alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Emerson & Peters will be solid.
    Both are solid and may even be better than solid. Peters has the look of a serious head hunter. Can't wait to see what he does. Emerson has some ball hawk skills too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    There is no way it will be worse than what we watched last year. No way. Due to effort alone.
    Agree 100%

vCash
    We just gonna have to score more points than the other team!**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Also, no way it will be worse than what we got under Mullen with Sirmon.

vCash
    Emerson is as good or better than Dantzler was at this point in their careers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Also, no way it will be worse than what we got under Mullen with Sirmon.
    I like our DC. That defense is going to give QB's trouble reading.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Yep, our DC came from San Diego State, who was one of the top Defenses in the Group-of-6 for the past 5 years or so. This was a very under-rated hire that Leach made imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Let see how you feel 4 min left in the 1st Quarter vs LSU
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    The starting 11 should be solid. It's the depth behind them that's concerning
    Delete

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WSOPdawg View Post
    Yep, our DC came from San Diego State, who was one of the top Defenses in the Group-of-6 for the past 5 years or so. This was a very under-rated hire that Leach made imo.
    I hear ya, but the head coach rocky long called the defense at SDSU. Leach really wanted long, I believe, since long was retiring. Long wouldn't put off retirement to come work with his buddy leach, so leach got Longs protege, arnett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    I hear ya, but the head coach rocky long called the defense at SDSU. Leach really wanted long, I believe, since long was retiring. Long wouldn't put off retirement to come work with his buddy leach, so leach got Longs protege, arnett.
    Long did not retire. He stepped down as head coach and took a dc position, I think at New Mexico.

Not sure what the story was there. But they are postponed with no fall ball so maybe Long could consult with us or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Let see how you feel 4 min left in the 1st Quarter vs LSU
    If Brennan can throw it in the general area of chase, we won't stop them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    Long did not retire. He stepped down as head coach and took a dc position, I think at New Mexico.

Not sure what the story was there. But they are postponed with no fall ball so maybe Long could consult with us or something.
    Got ya. The story I heard was he didn't want to be a head coach anymore and deal with all that entails. Just wanted to focus on defense, his specialty. Didn't realize he took the dc job at New Mexico

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If Brennan can throw it in the general area of chase, we won't stop them
    They better keep him in bubble wrap and in a bubble because they don't have a QB behind him