Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will there be College Football this fall - Update

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    A 7 year old healthy child in Savannah Georgia just died from COVID.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsa...-covid-19/amp/

But yea, all’s good. Play ball baby!
    there was around 2360 abortions today. There will be about that many tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 08-11-2020 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    Athletes play. That?s what they do. At some point in time where do we draw the line of someone who tests positive? 2 weeks, a month? See at some point in time you can?t blame a virus on the future when you?ve never seen it before. It?s a novel virus. Do you stop people from living when you have no way to show it affects them? Last time I checked you just go. That?s what great people do

vCash
    I say that with all sincerity. I?m almost 57. If I get it it I hope to get past it. I have a great job but sometimes I have to stress myself. If I?m healthy I go back to work and handle my shit. If I get dealt a bad hand I?m not gonna blame anyone from doing what I gotta do. I can?t wait on doctors saying you are fine to no maybe you have issues when no one knows. I?ll not be disabled because someone has an ulterior motive

vCash
    I get both points of view and am glad I dont have to make the decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    A 7 year old healthy child in Savannah Georgia just died from COVID.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsa...-covid-19/amp/

But yea, all?s good. Play ball baby!
    Was the child playing football?**

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    There's no protection for those millions of students and teachers on campuses across the country. So that argument is horse shit.
    Still haven't seen any athletes die in pro ball. High school ball starts this week. What about those kids? HS has been going for a week plus now. No problems really.
    Believe what you want, but the manner in which college players are exploited for gigantic sums of money does factor into this equation. Whether it is just optics or not, whether their scholarships is payment enough, whether it is fair they can't make money just like any other student or not.....it definitely means they are not the same discussion as a regular student.

Let me know when a 85 college students are worth a 40 million dollar windfall check from espn, and not to mention 47000 season tickets and donations.

Pro players have contracts, agents, players associations, and they get paid directly. Not the same discussion at all.

You do have a point about hs though. They profit motive isn't there like the ncaa. Other than UM recruits, these players are choosing to play similar to rec league competition. So if the player's families sign off, good to go.

All I am saying, make sure college players have their scholarship regardless. Have them sign a waiver acknowledging that football has direct contact and puts them at a higher risk of dying. Have a testing system in place that every team in the league has to meet. Have a bubble created around these guys for the season. Have 20 weeks to play 10 games. No fans. Lets kick this thing off.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    If he was, then other players would catch it.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    let us all know when someone you know catches this randomly and dies. I don't know a single one of our players personally, but they are our family.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    There will be posters on this board who will be more upset if there is a season than posters if there isn't a season. As far as the SEC goes it comes down to how big and how long is the out break when the students get back on campus. I suspect most of those bar hopping, legg hunting horn dogs have already gotten it.
    i will be more upset if we push for a season, without a clear way of handling this, without every option for a player to opt out, without safety protocals in place, without everyone acknowledging the true scientific danger that football has with covid, and one of our 18-22 year old players die due to something we all could have avoided.

I will not push for football because I feel like by pushing for it I am at fault if someone dies. The way our country opened back up after the shutdown was enough for me. People forgot safety measures that were simple. Football is an option, not a necessary need. Pandemics require reflection on what we have to have and want to have in my opinion.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Tired View Post
    Dude you are on it tonight. I can?t wait for you to update me every time there?s a death from the flu or pneumonia.

Play ball baby.
    Yep. And somewhere tonight a young child died in a car wreck. So he better not get in a vehicle. Some of you lack perspective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    i will be more upset if we push for a season, without a clear way of handling this, without every option for a player to opt out, without safety protocals in place, without everyone acknowledging the true scientific danger that football has with covid, and one of our 18-22 year old players die due to something we all could have avoided.
    Something tells me you will be upset even if we abide by every single one of those precautions you outlined. Just a hunch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Yep. And somewhere tonight a young child died in a car wreck. So he better not get in a vehicle. Some of you lack perspective.
    You lack perspective. A kid dying in a car wreck and a person playing football contracting a virus and dying have literally nothing to do with each other. Sure, some would like to draw a parallel between the two, but the fundamental fact of how they died differentiates the realities of the situation. This exact fallacy is discussed without end because some cannot grasp the difference.

I will repeat. Give the players every opportunity not to play. Guarantee their scholarships, stipend, hell even their meal plans and tutors either way. Take away all modes of pressure to play. If they sign off on playing, then play. If they don't, let them come back next year to play once we have a vaccine. that is just one aspect along with a solid plan on how to practice, how to hold meetings, what type of in person meetings have to be held, mask protocals, socially distancing, etc. Like all things, this has to be attacked from every angle. Then and only then, play ball.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Something tells me you will be upset even if we abide by every single one of those precautions you outlined. Just a hunch.
    Upset yes. But, if the players has every option to not play, but the choose to still play. Well that is their choice. Just as long as they are not coerced into it. I want football as much as the next guy. I have lived my life the last 6 months with every possible precaution taken, doing my duty, to keep the numbers down. some people on here still question basic science's direction on this virus. So forgive me if I believe one dang word out of some of your mouths. Too many people being "me, me, me" on here to be trusted with this discussion.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I am also sure there are 20-30 more precautions that need to be taken over what I have stated. I was just spit balling off the top of my head.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    These kids need college football more than anyone on this board does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Tired View Post
    Dude you are on it tonight. I can?t wait for you to update me every time there?s a death from the flu or pneumonia.

Play ball baby.
    Fix your iphone Buddy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Their medical reasoning is that players could contract the virus on the field or at practice and potentially die. Something that the school could avoid by simply not playing football. This in no way diminishes the players ability to contract the virus going to class, the store, their mother's house, or banging some coed. Difference is, all of those actions are totally out of the control of the university and is a personal choice by each student/athlete.

Chances are, if every single football player in america contracted Covid, some would need to hospitalized. Some may even die.

Now, here is the biggest kicker in the entire discussion. If every single college guaranteed the players their scholarships regardless if they played or not. Allowed each player to decide whether they are going to play or not independently and they can change their mind at anytime. All medical expenses covered for as long as you show symptoms by the university. Sign on the dotted line acknowledging the risk of death due to covid. Then hell the players chose it. Let's kick off.

Edited to Add
    I am sympathetic to the players that really want to play. I am sympathetic to all the businesses that rely on football games. I am sympathetic to the universities need for football. But what happens if a guy on our team catches it and dies. I would rather not have it than for one of our players or any other player in Mississippi catch this thing and someone die. Chances are that is not going to happen, but I wouldn't take that risk.
    What risk are you talking about? Unless we find out something funky about the spread during football, if a player catches COVID and dies, there's a pretty decent chance that means they would have caught covid and died had they not been playing football. You're talking about depriving a lot of college athletes of sports just because we'll feel less bad if they caught COVID from a bar and died than if they caught it at football and died? I don't really get why we'd feel worse about one than the other. If heart issues are the concern, then they can do ekgs and require anybody with any issue to abstain from practice or play for the rest of the season.

vCash
    Big 12 is playing! I fully expect that means we will have football boys!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    These kids need college football more than anyone on this board does.
    This. I know a lot of kids that if they aren't playing football will be running the streets and not in a good way. People are only focused on the virus without realizing the collateral damage that not playing football will bring to these kids.

vCash
    Big 12 will play 9 round robin + 1 non conference.

3 tests per week...