Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breaking on Pawl. B10...done for all fall sports. P10 will follow suit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    When that happens, wonder how fast the pac 12 revolt will last.....these players gonna figure out something is better than nothing.... if there is something to return to....
    Well, if the players were being paid, we'd be playing ball because a waiver would be legal and available. Granted, the PAC 12 requests are insanity, but players should be paid. That's not even in question.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    and in the meantime they are playing High School football this Friday in Miss.
    Per the current schedule, yes they are. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes between now and Thursday.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Per the current schedule, yes they are. I wouldn't be surprised if that changes between now and Thursday.
    Doubtful. It's MAIS. MHSAA has pushed the season back. But if all of college ball folds, so will HS ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Well it is damn hard to justify full tuition cost when learning remotely is about as useful as watching youtube videos on a subject.
    Except that youtube doesn't earn credits from an accredited university.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Well, if the players were being paid, we'd be playing ball because a waiver would be legal and available. Granted, the PAC 12 requests are insanity, but players should be paid. That's not even in question.
    Define paid and I might agree w part of it. They already get paid. How much more you want? The demand list is crazy.

vCash
    Define paid and I might agree w part of it. They already get paid. How much more you want? The demand list is crazy.
    They need the stipend or allowance because they can't work part time jobs like the academic scholarships can ... I get why, but it really isn't fair to the student athletes
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    They need the stipend or allowance because they can't work part time jobs like the academic scholarships can ... I get why, but it really isn't fair to the student athletes
    I thought the stipend had been approved or was that just certain states.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I thought the stipend had been approved or was that just certain states.
    it has ...not sure what the amount is or if all schools can afford to pay ... I wasn't sure if he was talking about getting free Tuition, books, meals, lodging, ect as being paid or actual cash as the payment
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    They get a stipend. They get a meal check. The get food at the seal building. What else is reasonable?

vCash
    They get a stipend. They get a meal check. The get food at the seal building. What else is reasonable?
    I think we are agreeing here without realizing it

vCash
    This is what I'm confused about.

People say athletes shouldn't play because they don't get paid...but they actually do get real money, food/meal plans, access to state of the art health/gym/medical facilities, room and board, tuition and an actual stipend check.

People say that if the scholarship would be honored if an athlete chooses not to play this year then they would be ok with football season happening. THAT HAS BEEN DONE. All scholarships will be honored whether or not you choose to play.

People say that it would be ok to tplay if the university/program would take care of the athletes medical expenses if they get sick. THEY ARE. That is already a thing.

But I've seen journalists and "fans" of college sports saying this stuff and I'm thinking...are they stupid? Willfully ignorant? Or willfully deceitful? Because they HAVE to know this is already a thing but they are pretending like it's not to support their reasoning behind fall sports not happening.

Same thing with the myocarditis issue. It's not a new thing. Myocarditis can occur with any infection. Per the CDC there are approximately 1.5 MILLION cases of myocarditis per YEAR. SO why is it suddenly NOW that it is a massive major medical emergency. Did you know about 65% of people that get myocarditis recover naturally and never even know they have it?? But NOW it's an issue.

What happened to flattening the curve. We did that. Incorporated mask mandates. Dropped mortality rates and have declining cases across the nation for the past 3 week....but now we have to get to 0 cases per day to move forward with life???? Come on...stop moving the damn goal post.

It STINKS of fear mongering bullshit. Just yesterday there was a report of a healthy 7 year old dying of Covid. A TERRIBLE tragedy but right on cue it was used to bolster the "no fall sports" crowd. We had posters on here using it. Using a 7 year old's death to sew fear. No one was upset about the 120 children under 10 that died of the flu last year. Or the 200 the year before that. It's total bullshit, fear-mongering. **** that.

This virus is a terrible thing and certainly a health risk. Stay home if you must. Hide. Or...wear a mask, wash your hands, exercise, watch what you eat, live life.

vCash

People say athletes shouldn't play because they don't get paid...but they actually do get real money, food/meal plans, access to state of the art health/gym/medical facilities, room and board, tuition and an actual stipend check.

People say that if the scholarship would be honored if an athlete chooses not to play this year then they would be ok with football season happening. THAT HAS BEEN DONE. All scholarships will be honored whether or not you choose to play.

People say that it would be ok to tplay if the university/program would take care of the athletes medical expenses if they get sick. THEY ARE. That is already a thing.

But I've seen journalists and "fans" of college sports saying this stuff and I'm thinking...are they stupid? Willfully ignorant? Or willfully deceitful? Because they HAVE to know this is already a thing but they are pretending like it's not to support their reasoning behind fall sports not happening.

Same thing with the myocarditis issue. It's not a new thing. Myocarditis can occur with any infection. Per the CDC there are approximately 1.5 MILLION cases of myocarditis per YEAR. SO why is it suddenly NOW that it is a massive major medical emergency. Did you know about 65% of people that get myocarditis recover naturally and never even know they have it?? But NOW it's an issue.

What happened to flattening the curve. We did that. Incorporated mask mandates. Dropped mortality rates and have declining cases across the nation for the past 3 week....but now we have to get to 0 cases per day to move forward with life???? Come on...stop moving the damn goal post.

It STINKS of fear mongering bullshit. Just yesterday there was a report of a healthy 7 year old dying of Covid. A TERRIBLE tragedy but right on cue it was used to bolster the "no fall sports" crowd. We had posters on here using it. Using a 7 year old's death to sew fear. No one was upset about the 120 children under 10 that died of the flu last year. Or the 200 the year before that. It's total bullshit, fear-mongering. **** that.

This virus is a terrible thing and certainly a health risk. Stay home if you must. Hide. Or...wear a mask, wash your hands, exercise, watch what you eat, live life.
    Good post

vCash

well said ... tried to rep this but have to spread some around 1st

vCash

While I do agree that athletes are compensated to a certain degree, did the athletes get a chance to provide input and/or are they simply told what their "compensation" is? If you or I are employed by someone, don't we have the opportunity to negotiate our compensation? I don't believe the players are afforded that same opportunity, thus it's a one-sided negotiation under the ruse of being an "amateur".

How long does a school cover the medical expenses for the player? What if this novel virus causes long-term effects that we don't know about, is the school then on the hook for that?

I agree with your point here. There is a lot more going into understanding this virus because it is new. The key would be the liability of the institution for the other 35% (using your stats) that don't fully recover.

We didn't flatten the curve. If so, please show a graph where the curve flattened. You speak of moving the goalposts, yet wasn't this supposed to go away with the heat? It didn't and no one can predict what will happen when the season changes and we move into a colder environment. What will that do to the spread? Will it accelerate, because so far it has shown that it is pretty resilient to all types of climates.

When presented with actual facts, those opposed to certain views will state that people are "fear mongering". The kid, unfortunately, passed away. There have been multiple posts on this board about how the virus doesn't impact kids. Here is an example of where it did. How many kids would need to die for you to acknowledge that it can happen? There are retorts to this story that kids die of abortion, car wrecks, etc. While that is true, the rebuttal and justification is only done because of a strong desire to have college football. If we had cared about fighting the actual virus from the beginning as much as we do about trying to find a way to play college football, we wouldn't be in this position as our country would have done an excellent job of stopping the spread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    Has anyone actually cited concern over lawsuits as a reason or is that speculation?
    I think it's just so obviously illogical on any other metric. Either they have some information not shared with the public about the virus, or they are freaking out about liability, because it's more or less ludicrous to have students on campus and have some in person classes and have students at parties at night but declare that football is too dangerous.

vCash
    well said ... tried to rep this but have to spread some around 1st
    Me too

vCash

CDC estimates Swine Flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations and

12,469 deaths in the U.S.

Where were the fear mongers then?

vCash

This is 100% accurate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    They are already being paid, and paid well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    While I do agree that athletes are compensated to a certain degree, did the athletes get a chance to provide input and/or are they simply told what their "compensation" is? If you or I are employed by someone, don't we have the opportunity to negotiate our compensation? I don't believe the players are afforded that same opportunity, thus it's a one-sided negotiation under the ruse of being an "amateur".
    Lots of people don't have the opportunity to negotiate. Lots of entry level positions don't get to negotiate. The NBA rookie scale for 1st rounders is pretty much set for all practical purposes. And what really happens is a lot of marginal players get "overpaid" and a lot of really good players get "underpaid". That's not that odd for a sports league and is exactly how the NBA is set up.

How long does a school cover the medical expenses for the player? What if this novel virus causes long-term effects that we don't know about, is the school then on the hook for that?
    IF that's the position you want to take we should shut down all college sports now because of potential long term costs of care for CTE. It would be crazy to ignore those risks that are specific to engaging in sports and then shut football down because of a risk that they assume in order to go to class or parties.

I agree with your point here. There is a lot more going into understanding this virus because it is new. The key would be the liability of the institution for the other 35% (using your stats) that don't fully recover.
    We have never really held anybody liable for pandemics. We are a lot more litigious now and have crazy expectations about society's ability to prevent bad things from happening, so we might go against long standing precedent here, but it would be kind of wild for us to start expecting schools, employers, commercial stores, etc. to be liable for people that get infected in a pandemic.

We didn't flatten the curve. If so, please show a graph where the curve flattened.
    We flattened the curve pretty much everywhere outside of New York and New Jersey.[/QUOTE]

You speak of moving the goalposts, yet wasn't this supposed to go away with the heat? It didn't and no one can predict what will happen when the season changes and we move into a colder environment. What will that do to the spread? Will it accelerate, because so far it has shown that it is pretty resilient to all types of climates.
    People were hopeful that heat would reduce the spread, and it looks like it maybe did up until it got hot enough taht people started staying in highly air conditioned climates. We do have pretty good reason to believe that unless we already have some level of herd immunity, it will probably start picking back up when it gets colder. But that's pretty irrelevant to football. For the Southeast, much of the season will be played prior to traditional cold and flu season. For another, not playing football won't stop winter from coming.

When presented with actual facts, those opposed to certain views will state that people are "fear mongering". The kid, unfortunately, passed away. There have been multiple posts on this board about how the virus doesn't impact kids. Here is an example of where it did. How many kids would need to die for you to acknowledge that it can happen? There are retorts to this story that kids die of abortion, car wrecks, etc. While that is true, the rebuttal and justification is only done because of a strong desire to have college football. If we had cared about fighting the actual virus from the beginning as much as we do about trying to find a way to play college football, we wouldn't be in this position as our country would have done an excellent job of stopping the spread.
    It's not fear mongering because the virus isn't real or bad, it's fear mongering because the response is so incredibly disproportionate to the risk. There will occasionally be a child that dies from this, just like they occasionally die from the flu. We don't lock kids up for flu season and negatively impact their learning or tell them they just don't get to socialize or participate in sports during cold and flu season.

And we would be in the same position no matter how seriously we took this once China handled it poorly and it mutated into a more contagious strain. We might could have slowed the spread, but never to the point that we could open up without it starting to rapidly spread again.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 08-12-2020 at 09:57 AM.