Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN

vCash

ESPN

ESPN seems to be pushing an agenda to cancel football. I can't figure out the why part of it? Anyone have an answer?

My other question is will there be any issues with all of the SEC teams playing other SEC teams in terms of TV viewership. Will all of the games still be able to be shown? I wouldn't think this would mess with anything like that. Just curious.

vCash
    They are owned by Disney.

vCash
    First off wokeness. Disney has gone full bore into pro china pro antifa wokeness. They even have a two hour weekly wokeness radio show now.

Second, money. It has to be money. Either they don't have the ad buys to make the payments because of the companies spending less. Or they think that they can make more showing programming that they get for basically nothing like cornhole and marble races.

vCash
    Follow the money, always follow the money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    First off wokeness. Disney has gone full bore into pro china pro antifa wokeness. They even have a two hour weekly wokeness radio show now.

Second, money. It has to be money. Either they don't have the ad buys to make the payments because of the companies spending less. Or they think that they can make more showing programming that they get for basically nothing like cornhole and marble races.
    Bingo!! We have a winner!!!

vCash
    ESPN has always been like this. I stopped watching their original programming when they were basically campaigning for Alabama to play LSU instead of Oklahoma State in the 2012 title game. It's always their agenda first.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Play football - players tested for Covid-19
    No football - no players tested for Covid-19

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Play football - players tested for Covid-19
    No football - no players tested for Covid-19
    Riiiiiight...

Oh, because they aren't playing so they aren't players. Because you and I both know if they don't play potentially more of them will test positive. I talked to an ex-MSU football player today and he said not playing this year would be a disaster for the athletes. He didn't expound as it was a brief sidebar at the beginning of a meeting.

vCash
    Same reason the NBA wont speak out against China, and their ''basketball camps'' in China being awful in a lot of ways was just pushed under the rug.

Social Media has become the biggest curse on this world since money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    ESPN seems to be pushing an agenda to cancel football. I can't figure out the why part of it? Anyone have an answer?

My other question is will there be any issues with all of the SEC teams playing other SEC teams in terms of TV viewership. Will all of the games still be able to be shown? I wouldn't think this would mess with anything like that. Just curious.
    ESPN has an agenda and that is theiir mission above covering sports or even making money; they will sacrifice that for their narrative and cause. They had just soon cover the Nov election politics or contribute to it.

vCash
    I think ultimately they're trying to professionalize college football. I'm not sure why. I mean, if they get paid they get paid. They're already paid a stipend as it is along with a free education, free housing, free meals, free books, and who knows how many are receiving stuff from boosters?

You look at the list that Trevor Lawrence put out- yes, they asked for a player council but they didn't ask for money or a share of revenue. It was pretty much let us play and have a uniform COVID testing policy more than anything.

I think more than anything the media is completely out of touch with what these players really want because most of them never played sports themselves. I think the media thinks all of these players want all of this and all of that and have a voice and a "platform for their views" and whatever else. Most of these guys just want to play ball more than anything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think ultimately they're trying to professionalize college football. I'm not sure why. I mean, if they get paid they get paid. They're already paid a stipend as it is along with a free education, free housing, free meals, free books, and who knows how many are receiving stuff from boosters?

You look at the list that Trevor Lawrence put out- yes, they asked for a player council but they didn't ask for money or a share of revenue. It was pretty much let us play and have a uniform COVID testing policy more than anything.

I think more than anything the media is completely out of touch with what these players really want because most of them never played sports themselves. I think the media thinks all of these players want all of this and all of that and have a voice and a "platform for their views" and whatever else. Most of these guys just want to play ball more than anything else.
    Many were planning on playing professional.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    well they are a sports news and live event channel. This is the damn largest sports news story to take place, maybe ever. Lacking leadership since January may be an issue that has finally became real for a lot of people. There is damn near next to zero reasons why would shouldn't have Covid under control enough to play sports without fans. Zero.

Just for giggles, "Thanks Obama."
    Last edited by Lord McBuckethead; 08-11-2020 at 05:03 PM.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

If we look at this as purely a student athlete / student issue, then why can't they make whatever money they can in college. No other student on campus is refused the opportunity to make money anyway legally they can and still be a student on scholarship. Another thing, all students can transfer whenever they want. they may lose credits, but as long as they are accepted to the new university or college, they can transfer. Why not football players?
    The issue with football in particular is the amount of money they are making the universities. If college football was still operating on the scale they were in the 40s when most of the rules were first established..... then sure they are compensated enough. The game is totally different now than it was just 10 years ago on the amount of revenue generated with these athletes. If they remove all restrictions on going to the NFL, then I say keep them as amateurs. If they have to wait unitl they are 21, then allow them to make money. That would give them a free market to go to the nfl if they want.

Now, if someone tries to go to the nfl and doesn't make it, they should be able to return to school. no doubt.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    If we look at this as purely a student athlete / student issue, then why can't they make whatever money they can in college. No other student on campus is refused the opportunity to make money anyway legally they can and still be a student on scholarship. Another thing, all students can transfer whenever they want. they may lose credits, but as long as they are accepted to the new university or college, they can transfer. Why not football players?
    The issue with football in particular is the amount of money they are making the universities. If college football was still operating on the scale they were in the 40s when most of the rules were first established..... then sure they are compensated enough. The game is totally different now than it was just 10 years ago on the amount of revenue generated with these athletes. If they remove all restrictions on going to the NFL, then I say keep them as amateurs. If they have to wait unitl they are 21, then allow them to make money. That would give them a free market to go to the nfl if they want.

Now, if someone tries to go to the nfl and doesn't make it, they should be able to return to school. no doubt.
    Most other students are getting a TRUE full ride, plus pell grant, plus extra food, plus a stipend. Matter of fact I can think of none.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Same reason the NBA wont speak out against China, and their ''basketball camps'' in China being awful in a lot of ways was just pushed under the rug.

Social Media has become the biggest curse on this world since money
    Yep. But, it can't be taken away or controlled without infringing on freedom of speech. Personally, I treat twitter as my news and weather source. I follow the local guys for sports and weather, and the AP for more national and international news. I treat Facebook as my address book somewhat, since I have friends all over the country. But sadly, most people use it for their own personal gain. Social media gave a voice to every single person who wants it and wants to speak their mind about any issue anywhere in the world, whether they have a good understanding of it or not.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Most other students are getting a TRUE full ride, plus pell grant, plus extra food, plus a stipend. Matter of fact I can think of none.
    There are probably a lot more kids getting free rides - or damn close to it - then you would think.

I have one in my house - going to Valdosta State. Hope+Pell+Academic Scholly+Music Scholly= $1k in his pocket a semester after books, room and board, and tuition.
    And he can gig in his spare time.

Oh, and my future SIL, at MSU - Scholly+Pell+Eng. Dept Research position = all expenses covered and money in his pocket.
    My daughter at MSU has OOS tuition covered via academic common market; pell grant and scholly covers tuition and books - so it's just living expenses for her.

I've known a lot of kids in similar positions - both when I was in school 25 years ago and now.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    There are probably a lot more kids getting free rides - or damn close to it - then you would think.

I have one in my house - going to Valdosta State. Hope+Pell+Academic Scholly+Music Scholly= $1k in his pocket a semester after books, room and board, and tuition.
    And he can gig in his spare time.

Oh, and my future SIL, at MSU - Scholly+Pell+Eng. Dept Research position = all expenses covered and money in his pocket.
    My daughter at MSU has OOS tuition covered via academic common market; pell grant and scholly covers tuition and books - so it's just living expenses for her.

I've known a lot of kids in similar positions - both when I was in school 25 years ago and now.

Somehow this non athlete missed out on all that. College was a tremendous financial struggle for me. I even applied for food stamps at one time. The 3rd time I went to the food stamp place it was only me and a real nice older black lady. She politely let me know that I was going to have a very hard time receiving any help because I wasn’t the right color. Apparently the government wasn’t aware of my privilege.
    I’ll never forget that lady and the conversation we had. I respect her til this day for her brutal honesty and it helped forge me into the man I am today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Somehow this non athlete missed out on all that. College was a tremendous financial struggle for me. I even applied for food stamps at one time. The 3rd time I went to the food stamp place it was only me and a real nice older black lady. She politely let me know that I was going to have a very hard time receiving any help because I wasn’t the right color. Apparently the government wasn’t aware of my privilege.
    I’ll never forget that lady and the conversation we had. I respect her til this day for her brutal honesty and it helped forge me into the man I am today.
    Yeah, I didn't have that experience myself either. Mine wasn't yours, and I know experiences like yours is all too common. My point was that there are a lot of different experiences within the student body - athletes or non athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Yeah, I didn't have that experience myself either. Mine wasn't yours, and I know experiences like yours is all too common. My point was that there are a lot of different experiences within the student body - athletes or non athletes.
    I’ll never forget that lady. It was 1991 and I remember her name. I went back to see her and thank her for the “encouragement” months later. She even thanked me for being so responsible. Told me if everyone took advice like I did and did something about it, the world would be a better place. Super nice lady that made an impact on my life.