Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking forward to baseball this spring....

vCash

Looking forward to baseball this spring....

Especially watching #15 the next few years.

vCash
    I think we're going to be pretty good and have a chance at Omaha. I think Cade has a shot at midweek this year along with Fristoe and Tepper. We may just go back with Houston Harding though. The thing is everyone else is also returning a lot of people so it will be a higher level of play probably than we typically see I think.

Fri- MacLeoud
    Sat- Cerentola- I think we have two potential first round picks in our rotation and that's the main reason I think we can get to Omaha.
    Sun- Brandon Smith- he's supposed to be close to being healthy right now.
    Midweek- Harding

Bullpen- I'd like to see Landon Sims close but I bet we go with Spencer Price. Will Bednar will be back in the bullpen as well. I thought I heard Lemonis say that Koestler is coming back although I thought he was leaving?

C- Logan Tanner- going to be a high draft pick in a couple of years.
    1B- Hatcher
    2B- Dubrule-transfer in from Jacksonville
    3B- Kellum Clark- has a chance and the talent to be the best third baseman in MSU history
    SS- Kamren James

LF- Rowdey
    CF- Brayland Skinner- JUCO guy with speed
    RF- Pimentel although I still love Brad Cumbest's skill set as a baseball player

DH- Landon Jordan

Really good looking team talent wise on paper.

vCash
    Who is #15?

vCash
    What about Tanner Allen?

Lemonis said Brandon Smith was going to be a weekend guy for us. He said that on twitter the other day. Point being, had Smith not been hurt, he was either ahead of Cerantola or Ginn's role was intended to be different.

Houston Harding shut down Tech. Bednar and Sims are elite. I just hope I can go to games and watch them progress. And were bringing in some other elite arms and have depth I haven't mentioned. This may be the most talented staff we've had at msu.

I worry about our production. We have guys that can do it but some are going to have to grow into it. We got a few at the top that can go though.

For the record, I think Pimentel has potential. He generates pop. I like his swing. If he can learn patience and get some confidence, I think he has potential to solid.

vCash
    Don?t forget about Tanner Allen.

I think we get Allen and Rowdey in the OF, then its a battle:

(1) Cumbest-JR with Tools and experience but no historical production for us but this is his year to become Hunter Renfro, yes?
    (2) Skinner-JR a JC transfer that we don?t know, Righty
    (3) Drew McGowan -SO a lefty on a overly lefty team but he played as a freshman
    (4) Kyte McDonald - FR a kid who redshirted but was a decently ranked prospect from Texas, righty
    (5) Kace Garner - JR a JC kid with ridiculous offensive stats but is listed as a catcher, Righty
    (6) Grantham?s kid -a FR freshman but a football coaches son, Righty

Somebody is gonna emerge

vCash
    The rotation:

Christian MacLeod
    Brandon Smith
    Will Bednar

Long relief on weekends: Cameron Tullar, Cerantola and Sims

Closer: Price and Preston Johnson

Midweek starters are Harding and Koestler.

We?ve got to find some RH hitting especially if football is played in the spring and Cumbest can?t play baseball.

vCash
    Dadgum- I forgot about Tanner Allen. I'm pretty embarrassed right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    What about Tanner Allen?

Lemonis said Brandon Smith was going to be a weekend guy for us. He said that on twitter the other day. Point being, had Smith not been hurt, he was either ahead of Cerantola or Ginn's role was intended to be different.

Houston Harding shut down Tech. Bednar and Sims are elite. I just hope I can go to games and watch them progress. And were bringing in some other elite arms and have depth I haven't mentioned. This may be the most talented staff we've had at msu.

I worry about our production. We have guys that can do it but some are going to have to grow into it. We got a few at the top that can go though.

For the record, I think Pimentel has potential. He generates pop. I like his swing. If he can learn patience and get some confidence, I think he has potential to solid.
    I agree that pitching will be the strength of our team. Also agree on Pimentel. I think having the longer offseason will benefit him some. On offense we have some upperclassmen that are veterans like Rowdey, Allen, Landon Jordan who had a strong offseason, Dubrule, and Hatcher. I thought James and Tanner did fine as freshmen in a small sample size. I don't see a ton of power to be honest but I do see some guys that are going to be good veteran hitters and will take good at bats.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Dadgum- I forgot about Tanner Allen. I'm pretty embarrassed right now.
    That's it man, you're fired!!!****

vCash
    One thing we all should know is injury occur especially pitchers. The depth is looking really good, may be the best overall pitching depth we have ever had. But time will tell, let's hope we don't have any serious injuries.

Things I'm hearing are very encouraging, we are a baseball school.

vCash
    Pitching strategy has changed for this year. MacLeod, etc doesn?t have to go 6-7 innings. They need to go 5. Then in 6th bring in Tullar or Cerantola or Sims. Then the closers.

The offense has to manufacture runs sometimes bc of the opponent?s pitching.

Lots of close scores and low scores in 2021.

vCash
    If we don’t play football, baseball isn’t being played. We’re probably one of the few schools in America whose baseball program breaks even to making some money. Without football 90% of schools can’t field a baseball team or any other sport for that matter. Without football the only sport that might play is basketball because the NCAA tournament makes the NCAA bout a billion dollas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Pitching strategy has changed for this year. MacLeod, etc doesn?t have to go 6-7 innings. They need to go 5. Then in 6th bring in Tullar or Cerantola or Sims. Then the closers.

The offense has to manufacture runs sometimes bc of the opponent?s pitching.

Lots of close scores and low scores in 2021.
    The deep staffs are the reason why I am concerned about our right-handed-hitter situation. We are not replacing Westy or Foscue’s production next year. And we potentially get two left-handed hitters replacing them on the field. Some shitty little junk ball lefties might be able to shut us down.

We need someone to emerge -maybe time for Cumbest to quit football and see what he looks like as a full time baseball player. Other potential saviors are: Skinner, Garner, Grantham, or McDonald. But these are transfers, redshirts, and freshmen anything can happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    If we don’t play football, baseball isn’t being played. We’re probably one of the few schools in America whose baseball program breaks even to making some money. Without football 90% of schools can’t field a baseball team or any other sport for that matter. Without football the only sport that might play is basketball because the NCAA tournament makes the NCAA bout a billion dollas.
    My man, Baseball is already being played. Kids are playing summer ball everywhere. Logan Jordan just hit 500 in his summer league. He was Babe Ruth.

Baseball’s advantage is the distance and low profile. They can just quietly play and not have the giant loud talking heads commenting.

vCash
    1. Dubrule - 2B, L
    2. Rowdy - CF, S
    3. Allen - RF, L
    4. James - SS, R
    5. Hatcher - 1B, L
    6. Tanner - C, R
    7. Clark - 3B, L
    8. Cumbest/Pimentel platoon - LF, R/L
    9. L. Jordan - DH, L

You also have Hancock who will play some at catcher and can DH.

That's a good line-up. Not elite, but very solid.

For the rotation, I'd go:

MacLeod - Fri.
    Bednar - Sat.
    Smith - Sun.

Cerantola - Midweek

Then you've got an elite bullpen of Tullar, Sims, Price, Johnson, Harding, Fristoe, Tepper, and others. We can just chunk them out there like Vandy does.

That's an Omaha pitching staff with a decent line-up.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 08-09-2020 at 10:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    The deep staffs are the reason why I am concerned about our right-handed-hitter situation. We are not replacing Westy or Foscue’s production next year. And we potentially get two left-handed hitters replacing them on the field. Some shitty little junk ball lefties might be able to shut us down.

We need someone to emerge -maybe time for Cumbest to quit football and see what he looks like as a full time baseball player. Other potential saviors are: Skinner, Garner, Grantham, or McDonald. But these are transfers, redshirts, and freshmen anything can happen.
    Maybe BaseDog knows the inside on this but we are going after power RH hitting, just lost Colin Montgomery to Missouri. I?m really hoping that we have got one by now and it?s not out on Twitter. The coaches have been busy in the portal I have heard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    1. Dubrule - 2B, L
    2. Rowdy - CF, S
    3. Allen - RF, L
    4. James - SS, R
    5. Hatcher - 1B, L
    6. Tanner - C, R
    7. Clark - 3B, L
    8. Cumbest/Pimentel platoon - LF, R/L
    9. L. Jordan - DH, L

You also have Hancock who will play some at catcher and can DH.

That's a good line-up. Not elite, but very solid.

For the rotation, I'd go:

MacLeod - Fri.
    Bednar - Sat.
    Smith - Sun.

Cerantola - Midweek

Then you've got an elite bullpen of Tullar, Sims, Price, Johnson, Harding, Fristoe, Tepper, and others. We can just chunk them out there like Vandy does.

That's an Omaha pitching staff with a decent line-up.
    That?s mostly the lineup.

The thing is, I predict, we have so much pitching that the midweek pitchers won?t pitch on the weekend bc of numbers. So Cerantola won?t be in midweek. Harding and Koestler will pitch on Tuesday/Wednesday and we hav so much pitching they won?t be needed on the weekend! That?s depth.

vCash
    Skinner could be an interesting signee. You have to figure that he wasn?t signed to add depth and coaches are looking at him as a possible 1 or 9 hole hitter and CF?er. I say 1 or 9 hole hitter depending on how he adjusts to SEC pitching. Our outfield defense last year was pretty shaky with Rowdy in CF, Allen in RF, and Pimentel in LF. It would be nice if Skinner could hit .280 and play CF so we can move Rowdy back to LF and then hide TA in RF. Get Pimentel going and he can DH and play a little RF, giving TA a break here and there.

I think we have a good team but so does everyone else. It looks like Florida is LOADED and vandy has the apparent 1 and 2 pick in their starting rotation. Who knows what olemiss will do and lsu is expected to be good I believe and Arkansas signed some good transfers, a couple that we wanted.

It?s going to be tough but I can?t wait.

vCash
    I am an optimist but even Brant Blaylock (all due respect to his mom) hit 380 with 15 HR at Northwest JC. We will see what happens.

We have Tanner Leggett from Northwest - he hit 250 in JC but was going to hit 050 in the SEC....Ole Miss had a kid from Northwest that was tearing it up, so there is that. You just dont know until we play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    My man, Baseball is already being played. Kids are playing summer ball everywhere. Logan Jordan just hit 500 in his summer league. He was Babe Ruth.

Baseball’s advantage is the distance and low profile. They can just quietly play and not have the giant loud talking heads commenting.
    It’s not a safety deal. It’s financial. 90% of schools baseball programs are bankrolled by football. We are the exception.