Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Thamel tweeted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

The current fall plan will bring in far less revenue than a typical season.
    That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.

vCash
    Maybe we can just have a virtual season, you know just let head coaches play each other on PlayStation, Nintendo or whatever game system is out there(only half kidding)!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I don't see how you can't see that we have had multiple spikes and literally the entire country come into contact with someone who has had COVID and our health care system never was overwhelmed across the country.
    If you think the entire country came into contact with COVID then you don't have this right in your mind. You wouldn't have anyone else getting sick if we literally all came in contact with it. It would be done with. Think of the hundreds of thousands of kids who were sent home and not exposed.

What you need to do in your mind is think about everyone who got sick and hospitalized between about May and the end of July and shove all those numbers together in about a 2 week period and tell me if the healthcare system could have handled that. The number of beds, ventilators, access to treatment (which we didn't have at the time). It would have shut us down completely as a country. Plenty of ICUs have been at 80% or more with us mitigating. Uncontrolled spread on the level we've seen the last 2 months would have absolutely crippled us.

Shocks me that people don't see how that would have played out and how that ultimately would have affected normal hospital operations for general stuff.

vCash
    Looks like it's time to move this to the eternal covid thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    If you think the entire country came into contact with COVID then you don't have this right in your mind. You wouldn't have anyone else getting sick if we literally all came in contact with it. It would be done with. Think of the hundreds of thousands of kids who were sent home and not exposed.

What you need to do in your mind is think about everyone who got sick and hospitalized between about May and the end of July and shove all those numbers together in about a 2 week period and tell me if the healthcare system could have handled that. The number of beds, ventilators, access to treatment (which we didn't have at the time). It would have shut us down completely as a country. Plenty of ICUs have been at 80% or more with us mitigating. Uncontrolled spread on the level we've seen the last 2 months would have absolutely crippled us.

Shocks me that people don't see how that would have played out and how that ultimately would have affected normal hospital operations for general stuff.
    Your two week scenario is bullshit because that's not how it would have worked even if we went full Sweden.

Also there's a difference between come into contact with and contract a virus. I've come into contact with a lot of people with and known to have it and apparently even had it myself. We have this thing that the media hasn't heard of called an immunity system that helps ward off diseases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Maybe we can just have a virtual season, you know just let head coaches play each other on PlayStation, Nintendo or whatever game system is out there(only half kidding)!
    Yeah! I'll take on Karen Wolken and run it up on his ass in PlayStation. Ha!

vCash
    Yeah! I'll take on Karen Wolken and run it up on his ass in PlayStation. Ha!
    Get him, Todd!

vCash
    I'm honest to god just sick of almost all the CFB media seemingly pushing for no season. Like have some 17 positivity about things. Whether it's Thamel, Forde, Wolken, etc. it's just like their giddy at the thought of no season. They haven't once tweeted a positive thing since all this started. First it was reporting on the positive cases when players returned to campus, now that there aren't but one or two testing positive they've moved on to the next depressing and negative story.

vCash
    Y'all help me out. I really haven't kept up much but why the hell would the CFB media be so negative and not want a season to cover? Seriously! I don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I agree, dangerous jobs pay more money.

College football players make.......... well shit there goes your argument.
    Tell that to my student loans which they don't have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    Y'all help me out. I really haven't kept up much but why the hell would the CFB media be so negative and not want a season to cover? Seriously! I don't get it.
    Because ESPN, USA Today, and others are left wing and they still have Trump Derangement Syndrome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.
    Don't forget all the millionaires that got a big chunk of the Cares Act.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 08-08-2020 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Your two week scenario is bullshit because that's not how it would have worked even if we went full Sweden.

Also there's a difference between come into contact with and contract a virus. I've come into contact with a lot of people with and known to have it and apparently even had it myself. We have this thing that the media hasn't heard of called an immunity system that helps ward off diseases.
    I would like to know your scenario as to what would have happened to the healthcare/hospital system had we done nothing and just continued on as normal.

From your posts I've seen it sounds like that's about where you are at. I would like to know what the hospitals would have looked like with no masks and no social distancing and school still in session March through May.

vCash
    MEDIA! MEDIA! MEDIA! Here's an actual picture of Todd4State...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Did all those places receive stimulus money? The Smithsonian Institution museums don't charge admission, so really shouldn't be noticing much difference (maybe in the gift shop) in income. I know the US Space & Rocket Center (a Smithsonial affiliate) didn't receive a penney, even though they're an educational institution as much as anything (think Space Camp). In fact, they have an successful ongoing fund-raising drive to keep the place open, and it's the #1 tourist attraction in Alabama, other than the beaches.

I don't have any trouble with providing money to the arts or PBS. Art museums serve a vital function, as does PBS. I'm not sure PBS is subject to much lost income due to Covid though.

I'd much rather those places get money than to give to to cities that condoned, and even seemed to encourage, riots and arson of businesses and public buildings. Let the cities pay the bills they allowed to accrue.

vCash
    These players are just as likely to get Covid with or without football. Probably safer by playing football since they are going to be tested so often.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Get him, Todd!
    Flea flicker on Karen up 70-0. It's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'm honest to god just sick of almost all the CFB media seemingly pushing for no season. Like have some 17 positivity about things. Whether it's Thamel, Forde, Wolken, etc. it's just like their giddy at the thought of no season. They haven't once tweeted a positive thing since all this started. First it was reporting on the positive cases when players returned to campus, now that there aren't but one or two testing positive they've moved on to the next depressing and negative story.
    It's exactly the same as message board culture. It's more about "I'm right and you're not" to them. The problem is they don't leave any room for discourse or to have an opinion other than their own. And if someone has a different opinion than you are terrible person who doesn't care about people and are stupid moron. The media will also be the first ones begging people to feel sorry for them because they got laid off for ironically "being right".

And it's not just college football- Adam Wainwright called out a reporter for either leaking info before the Cardinals knew it or for being straight up incorrect.

I would like to know your scenario as to what would have happened to the healthcare/hospital system had we done nothing and just continued on as normal.

From your posts I've seen it sounds like that's about where you are at. I would like to know what the hospitals would have looked like with no masks and no social distancing and school still in session March through May.
    March through May? Yeah I think we did the right thing then. But we're in August now. Bear in mind I'm on the COVID team where I work- we started it this month kind of officially. I can tell you we treat the disease better now than we did. We use high flow oxygen as much as we can to avoid ventilator use and have been VERY successful at doing it. Which limited and basically eliminated the concern about running out of vents. We use Hydroxichloriquine and have had a lot of success with it when it is used early along with zinc. We use Remesdivir too. I can also tell you that my hospital is currently starting to trial a vaccine along several other hospitals so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I will be able to find out the results on the vaccine because those people are going to be outpatient which is not where I am. We don't care about politics. WE care about people getting better.

I can still tell you that the patients that I am seeing (all I see are inpatient in the hospital) are mostly still:

1. Morbidly obese
    2. African American
    3. Hispanic
    4. Have multiple co-morbidities- like a history of stroke or something like that.

I have heard stories about that person that is 20-40 that was in perfect health that ended up on a vent. I don't doubt that happened- but I can also personally tell you I haven't seen one patient like that and I work at huge hospital that is bigger than any in Mississippi and I can also without a doubt tell you that is NOT the norm. The exception is still an exception even if it makes front page news.

College football players are extremely low risk because of their age and the fact that most of them outside of those that play for Moorhead are in good shape. It doesn't surprise me that a lineman would be hospitalized because they are more likely to be obese like the one guy from Indiana I believe. But that's one out of a sample size of how many Big 10 players? How many college football players?

vCash

Probably would be 1918 squared.

vCash
    Flea flicker on Karen up 70-0. It's coming.

It's exactly the same as message board culture. It's more about "I'm right and you're not" to them. The problem is they don't leave any room for discourse or to have an opinion other than their own. And if someone has a different opinion than you are terrible person who doesn't care about people and are stupid moron. The media will also be the first ones begging people to feel sorry for them because they got laid off for ironically "being right".

And it's not just college football- Adam Wainwright called out a reporter for either leaking info before the Cardinals knew it or for being straight up incorrect.

March through May? Yeah I think we did the right thing then. But we're in August now. Bear in mind I'm on the COVID team where I work- we started it this month kind of officially. I can tell you we treat the disease better now than we did. We use high flow oxygen as much as we can to avoid ventilator use and have been VERY successful at doing it. Which limited and basically eliminated the concern about running out of vents. We use Hydroxichloriquine and have had a lot of success with it when it is used early along with zinc. We use Remesdivir too. I can also tell you that my hospital is currently starting to trial a vaccine along several other hospitals so we'll see how that goes. I'm not sure if I will be able to find out the results on the vaccine because those people are going to be outpatient which is not where I am. We don't care about politics. WE care about people getting better.

I can still tell you that the patients that I am seeing (all I see are inpatient in the hospital) are mostly still:

1. Morbidly obese
    2. African American
    3. Hispanic
    4. Have multiple co-morbidities- like a history of stroke or something like that.

I have heard stories about that person that is 20-40 that was in perfect health that ended up on a vent. I don't doubt that happened- but I can also personally tell you I haven't seen one patient like that and I work at huge hospital that is bigger than any in Mississippi and I can also without a doubt tell you that is NOT the norm. The exception is still an exception even if it makes front page news.

College football players are extremely low risk because of their age and the fact that most of them outside of those that play for Moorhead are in good shape. It doesn't surprise me that a lineman would be hospitalized because they are more likely to be obese like the one guy from Indiana I believe. But that's one out of a sample size of how many Big 10 players? How many college football players?
    What about the coach at Lafayette High School that just passed away due to COVID and was working with players last week during conditioning?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wreg.co...-covid-19/amp/

It isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making the best decision you can with the information you currently have.

I guess since he falls under #2 on your list, it is what it is right???

vCash
    #agenda