Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pete Thamel tweeted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Hospitals are nearing ICU capacity in a lot of places in MS. But they're not all full and some are still completing elective surgeries.
    According to Dobbs yesterday, 16% of icu beds In the state are available. No level 1 hospital icu beds are available (which I think means just ummc), but plenty of level 2 hospital icu beds available.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure St. Dominic's is a level 1 stroke center as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I can still tell you that the patients that I am seeing (all I see are inpatient in the hospital) are mostly still:

1. Morbidly obese
    2. African American
    3. Hispanic
    4. Have multiple co-morbidities- like a history of stroke or something like that.

College football players are extremely low risk because of their age and the fact that most of them outside of those that play for Moorhead are in good shape. It doesn't surprise me that a lineman would be hospitalized because they are more likely to be obese like the one guy from Indiana I believe. But that's one out of a sample size of how many Big 10 players? How many college football players?
    I guess I'm confused by this. Are you insinuating since those are the majority of cases you see, its evidence that we should be pushing forward with college football? Obviously its a predominantly black sport and these players and coaches are going to be around their extended families at some point. I don't feel like I'm in any position as a fan to judge if their decision to get back to playing is the right one, especially if its just for my own entertainment. The Lafayette coach dying is pretty humbling and tragic. Would he have died if they were not playing football? I don't know, maybe, but I do not envy anyone having to make these decisions.

vCash
    Copied.... FACTS ARE.... We are being LIED too.... Wake up!!!!
    Jackson County Coroner comments on Daily Beast article claiming MS is in trouble with COVID deaths and that we are *terrified*:

"This is a long post from me, but definitely worth reading in regards to COVID-19 and the fear being spread by some in the media... (if you share to your page you must copy my writing to post along with it or else Facebook only posts the article to your page therefore only spreading the fear and not the truth!)

Today I received a phone call at my office from a concerned citizen that read the article I have shared below. After reading the article, he said he was astounded and decided to call his coroner to find out for himself if this was indeed happening in our state, and more specifically Jackson County. I assured him that in Jackson County I currently have no COVID-19 cases in our morgue, and I let him know exactly where our COVID-19 death numbers stood in our county.

When this pandemic first began, my office started keeping a log of every death within the county that was a direct result of COVID-19. Every death certificate is generated and certified by my office, therefore allowing me to keep an accurate log. To date, I have listed a total of 41 hospital deaths and 1 residential death that were directly caused by the virus, and my numbers coincide with the 42 cases that the state health department has listed on their website for Jackson County.

After receiving the phone call from this gentleman, it peaked my interest and I decided to look up the article and read it for myself. (I encourage you to do the same.) Once I read the article, I was astonished. It had me thinking to myself that maybe this pandemic is hitting other counties harder than ours, even though Jackson County is considered a "hot spot". I face death on a daily basis, so if this article had me fearing it was this bad, I can only imagine how the average reader would interpret it.

The article mentions three counties specifically, as well as, quotes from their elected coroners. So I decided I would do a little research of my own to see if this virus was really that much more severe than it is down here. You will be surprised as to what I discovered...

I first googled the population of each county, along with the reported deaths listed with the state health department: Coahoma County has a population of 22, 124 with 11 virus deaths reported, Panola County has 34, 178 residents with 12 reported , and Bolivar County has 30, 628 with 33 virus deaths reported. To put this into perspective, Jackson County has a population of 143, 617. So my first thought was how these numbers do not reflect the theatrics of the fear that this article portrays.

For a better understanding, I called the office of each of three coroners quoted in the article, this was their responses...Coahoma stated that their county doesn't even have a morgue and that the coroner bought one himself sometime back and when asked about COVID cases, they said they had had a few recently but nothing overwhelming, maybe 4 or 5. Panola County stated that their county only has 4 person morgue, so it is often times full from their regular day-to-day cases, not specific to the virus. Bolivar County stated that their county didn't own a morgue either, but that they could use the hospitals, which has one usable morgue drawer out of four and a local funeral home has a 2 person morgue that they can use. As far as their virus-related deaths, they stated that all have occurred in the hospital; therefore, they were not coroner cases being stored by them. So this tells me that these counties already had a morgue space shortage, even prior to the virus.

COVID-19 is real and I am not downplaying the seriousness of this virus that has unfortunately claimed the lives of many beloved people. I am, however, trying to make the point that many in the media are causing panic by spreading extremely exaggerated truths in regards to this pandemic. I encourage everyone to not live in fear based on what you read and to ask your own questions just as the gentleman did by calling me today.

Stay safe, Jackson County!- Bruce Lynd Jr., Coroner "https://www.thedailybeast.com/amid-a-mississippi-coronavirus-surge-morgues-are-overflowing-and-coroners-are-scared?fbclid=IwAR1V7IWdt0ayJNDf1RsNYR-I1QmcnHXkM3iHnf1Co01NAOiFGgCWnnJ2ZAg

vCash
    Which hospital?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    According to Dobbs yesterday, 16% of icu beds In the state are available. No level 1 hospital icu beds are available (which I think means just ummc), but plenty of level 2 hospital icu beds available.
    Yep. And I've seen a number of elective surgeries. They might as well say UMC is full. Because that's driving a lot of this.