Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Thamel tweeted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Pete Thamel tweeted

Big 10 meeting to possibly cancel football season.

vCash
    He has went out on a limb for weeks now very adamant there will be no college football season.

vCash
    May be straw that breaks camel back...if so, other conference dominos will start to fall

vCash
    As I’ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won’t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.
    A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

The current fall plan will bring in far less revenue than a typical season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post
    A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    That's why the newest govt stimulus needs to include something for businesses in towns dependent upon events at sports venues to strive/survive. But no, there has to be millions $$$ given to "the arts", PBS, Smithsonian Institute, Kennedy Center, and a bunch of other entities that mismanaged their resources and bilk the govt for emergency bailouts.
    Don't forget all the millionaires that got a big chunk of the Cares Act.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 08-08-2020 at 05:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Did all those places receive stimulus money? The Smithsonian Institution museums don't charge admission, so really shouldn't be noticing much difference (maybe in the gift shop) in income. I know the US Space & Rocket Center (a Smithsonial affiliate) didn't receive a penney, even though they're an educational institution as much as anything (think Space Camp). In fact, they have an successful ongoing fund-raising drive to keep the place open, and it's the #1 tourist attraction in Alabama, other than the beaches.

I don't have any trouble with providing money to the arts or PBS. Art museums serve a vital function, as does PBS. I'm not sure PBS is subject to much lost income due to Covid though.

I'd much rather those places get money than to give to to cities that condoned, and even seemed to encourage, riots and arson of businesses and public buildings. Let the cities pay the bills they allowed to accrue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkerhill View Post

This virus either runs it?s course, as most pandemics, or we learn to live with it. Considering the minuscule death rate, I?m willing to live with it.

vCash
    As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.
    Not sure why folks think things will be different in spring.

We won't have a vaccine, this virus has passed through less than 2% of the population (even if you think it's more it's not anything close to what would be needed to get back to normal), it has the ability to mutate and we don't know what that means for vaccine effectiveness, and we don't have measures to mitigate spread in large groups of people. Add to that the fact that football players themselves won't be in a bubble and I've got no clue why folks just automatically think the spring is just a sure fire guarantee for things to all of a sudden become normal again.

If football goes away this year, it's not coming back until we've got a better understanding of the virus. This has nothing to do with people and places (I guess it does somewhat because people are still not taking precautions seriously). It has most everything to do with the virus. We don't know enough about it to protect enough people to get on with life normally. Until we do, it's hard imagining that we move forward much beyond where we are right now.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 08-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    I somehow doubt there will be an effective, safe vaccine by spring. The MAC just canceled their football. Covid-19 might be the straw that breaks the back of sports, period.

vCash
    This is so stupid. Just play ball. Those players that want to play can play. Those that do not can relinquish their scholarships. Those available scholarships can be given to players that do want to play. It really is that simple.

At my office, we have continued to operate every single day this year. We recently had a covid positive case by an employee. That employee stayed home for 14 days and is now back at work and doing awesome.

Admittedly, I had one employee in mid-March express some concern about coming to work and that they might die from COVID. I politely explained that we will be working, and if they can't work then maybe this isn't the job for them. Some think that sounds cold, but if you are a lineman for Entergy and are afraid of electricity (it can be dangerous), then you learn how to manage the fear and be careful, or you find a different job.

A lot of players are looking for a free education without having to do anything in my opinion.

Edited to add that I'm sure someone will say "it's life and death we are talking about here." My answer to that is that there is a reason that dangerous jobs pay more than non-dangerous jobs. Off-shore oil rig work pays more than burger flipper at McDonalds. Free humans choose which job they want. Tell the players that there will be football, and they can make a choice on whether they want to play.

Most college presidents are liberal academics who are scared of a spider and need a safe space because "words hurt."
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 08-08-2020 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    If they cancel the season:

1. They are ****ing stupid.

2. I hope every single media member that gloats gets fired because there are no sports to cover.

vCash
    I agree, dangerous jobs pay more money.

College football players make.......... well shit there goes your argument.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

You beat me to it.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

Tell that to my student loans which they don't have.

vCash
    Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That’s about it.

vCash
    Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That?s about it.
    Vaccine is likely to be only 50% effective. So what then? Funny these guys don't care if the kids go to class & campus with 20,000 other kids, but they're shutting everything down over a couple hundred kids that play sports on those campuses.

vCash
    The NFL is going to set ratings records.

vCash
    There are not going to be sports this school year. Nothing will be different in spring
    Last edited by Homedawg; 08-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.