Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pete Thamel tweeted

vCash

Pete Thamel tweeted

Big 10 meeting to possibly cancel football season.

vCash
    He has went out on a limb for weeks now very adamant there will be no college football season.

vCash
    May be straw that breaks camel back...if so, other conference dominos will start to fall

vCash
    As I’ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won’t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.
    A full season with fans in the spring would be better for small college towns, right?

The current fall plan will bring in far less revenue than a typical season.

vCash
    As I?ve stated before they need to push it till spring. Is what it is. There will be a lot of college towns that won?t recover or will be a long time recovering if it happens. Lots of people and families out of jobs.
    Not sure why folks think things will be different in spring.

We won't have a vaccine, this virus has passed through less than 2% of the population (even if you think it's more it's not anything close to what would be needed to get back to normal), it has the ability to mutate and we don't know what that means for vaccine effectiveness, and we don't have measures to mitigate spread in large groups of people. Add to that the fact that football players themselves won't be in a bubble and I've got no clue why folks just automatically think the spring is just a sure fire guarantee for things to all of a sudden become normal again.

If football goes away this year, it's not coming back until we've got a better understanding of the virus. This has nothing to do with people and places (I guess it does somewhat because people are still not taking precautions seriously). It has most everything to do with the virus. We don't know enough about it to protect enough people to get on with life normally. Until we do, it's hard imagining that we move forward much beyond where we are right now.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 08-08-2020 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    I somehow doubt there will be an effective, safe vaccine by spring. The MAC just canceled their football. Covid-19 might be the straw that breaks the back of sports, period.

vCash
    This is so stupid. Just play ball. Those players that want to play can play. Those that do not can relinquish their scholarships. Those available scholarships can be given to players that do want to play. It really is that simple.

At my office, we have continued to operate every single day this year. We recently had a covid positive case by an employee. That employee stayed home for 14 days and is now back at work and doing awesome.

Admittedly, I had one employee in mid-March express some concern about coming to work and that they might die from COVID. I politely explained that we will be working, and if they can't work then maybe this isn't the job for them. Some think that sounds cold, but if you are a lineman for Entergy and are afraid of electricity (it can be dangerous), then you learn how to manage the fear and be careful, or you find a different job.

A lot of players are looking for a free education without having to do anything in my opinion.

Edited to add that I'm sure someone will say "it's life and death we are talking about here." My answer to that is that there is a reason that dangerous jobs pay more than non-dangerous jobs. Off-shore oil rig work pays more than burger flipper at McDonalds. Free humans choose which job they want. Tell the players that there will be football, and they can make a choice on whether they want to play.

Most college presidents are liberal academics who are scared of a spider and need a safe space because "words hurt."
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 08-08-2020 at 12:55 PM.

vCash
    If they cancel the season:

1. They are ****ing stupid.

2. I hope every single media member that gloats gets fired because there are no sports to cover.

vCash
    I agree, dangerous jobs pay more money.

College football players make.......... well shit there goes your argument.

vCash
    Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That’s about it.

vCash
    Spring has nothing to do with a vaccine in my opinion. I would hope there are better treatments at that point and it would put us on the other side of flu season. That?s about it.
    Vaccine is likely to be only 50% effective. So what then? Funny these guys don't care if the kids go to class & campus with 20,000 other kids, but they're shutting everything down over a couple hundred kids that play sports on those campuses.

vCash
    The NFL is going to set ratings records.

vCash
    There are not going to be sports this school year. Nothing will be different in spring
    Last edited by Homedawg; 08-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I agree, dangerous jobs pay more money.

College football players make.......... well shit there goes your argument.
    You beat me to it.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    This is so stupid. Just play ball. Those players that want to play can play. Those that do not can relinquish their scholarships. Those available scholarships can be given to players that do want to play. It really is that simple.

At my office, we have continued to operate every single day this year. We recently had a covid positive case by an employee. That employee stayed home for 14 days and is now back at work and doing awesome.

Admittedly, I had one employee in mid-March express some concern about coming to work and that they might die from COVID. I politely explained that we will be working, and if they can't work then maybe this isn't the job for them. Some think that sounds cold, but if you are a lineman for Entergy and are afraid of electricity (it can be dangerous), then you learn how to manage the fear and be careful, or you find a different job.

A lot of players are looking for a free education without having to do anything in my opinion.

Edited to add that I'm sure someone will say "it's life and death we are talking about here." My answer to that is that there is a reason that dangerous jobs pay more than non-dangerous jobs. Off-shore oil rig work pays more than burger flipper at McDonalds. Free humans choose which job they want. Tell the players that there will be football, and they can make a choice on whether they want to play.

Most college presidents are liberal academics who are scared of a spider and need a safe space because "words hurt."
    No way could they tell these students that if they don't play during a pandemic, they won't have a scholarship. That is insane.

vCash
    So now playing football is a certain death sentence from a virus with a 98% survival rate.

I'm an essential worker. I've been working through this since day one. I know one person personally that has had COVID. It was a bad cold for few days and that was it. I see dozens of patients Monday through Friday. I've never had a symptom, a fever, or a pain. You'd think being in the medical field I'd be surrounded by people that had been infected or know more people that had been infected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    No way could they tell these students that if they don't play during a pandemic, they won't have a scholarship. That is insane.
    The fact that people can even think that during this is messed up. I'm still shocked at the ignorance about this virus. People don't understand that this is not just about the players catching it. It's about them potentially passing it to someone else and us overwhelming our health care system to the point where people can't get the treatment or resources necessary to successfully combat the symptoms.

Yes the majority of people aren't getting dangerously ill. But let's just say we changed nothing about our habits in March and we all just let everyone do whatever the hell they wanted. The healthcare system would be in shambles and there would be a lot more people dead or worse off than they would have been. We didn't have the medical infrastructure to handle what that would have looked like.

I still don't understand how people don't see that. But let's make kids give up their scholarships because they are concerned about how a virus might could damage them or their family because I need my football fix. No one on this board can say for certain who on our football team or in their family could be the one that ends up in the hospital from this. But then we are the ones that go out and say make them play or they can choose to give up their scholarship.

Sorry but if you think like that you are a crap human being. And I'll continue to say that I'm a conservative white male educator saying this. Folks continuously bring politics into this. Screw that crap. This is common sense. Football and education are not at important as health and human safety. Ever.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 08-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    So now playing football is a certain death sentence from a virus with a 98% survival rate.

I'm an essential worker. I've been working through this since day one. I know one person personally that has had COVID. It was a bad cold for few days and that was it. I see dozens of patients Monday through Friday. I've never had a symptom, a fever, or a pain. You'd think being in the medical field I'd be surrounded by people that had been infected or know more people that had been infected.
    I am an essential worker and I agree. It's time to figure out how to live with this rather than just hide behind a mask for the rest of our lives. Well over 98% of the people- some who have been on a vent and have has the worst cases of this have survived. Also my hospital is currently trialing a vaccine as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    The fact that people can even think that during this is messed up. I'm still shocked at the ignorance about this virus. People don't understand that this is not just about the players catching it. It's about them potentially passing it to someone else and us overwhelming our health care system to the point where people can't get the treatment or resources necessary to successfully combat the systems.

Yes the majority of people aren't getting ill. But let's just say we changed nothing about our habits in March and we all just let everyone do whatever the hell they wanted. The healthcare system would be in shambles and there would be a lot of people dead who would otherwise have been able to survive. We didn't have the medical infrastructure to handle what that would have looked like.

I still don't understand how people don't see that. But let's make kids give up their scholarships because they are concerned about how a virus might could damage them or their family because I need my football fix. No one on this board can say for certain who on our football team or in their family could be the one that ends up in the hospital from this. But then we are the ones that go out and say make them play or they can choose to give up their scholarship.

Sorry but if you think like that you are a crap human being. And I'll continue to say that I'm a conservative white male educator saying this. Folks continuously bring politics into this. Screw that crap. This is common sense. Football and education are not at important as health and human safety. Ever.
    I don't see how you can't see that we have had multiple spikes and literally the entire country come into contact with someone who has had COVID and our health care system never was overwhelmed across the country.