Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAC12 football

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Anyone who would compare playing college football to a job is delusional. On any given Friday night in the fall in any given town in the south, there are 50+ kids in one place who would jump at the opportunity to play college football without pay. Find that for any realistic job in America. I would have done anything to play D1 football as three of my family members did. I would have done it without scholarship money. But maybe I'm stupid. I would not do my current job for less than I make now, however.
    There are millions who would jump at the chance to be an engineer / name your 6 figure job but who's actually qualified and capable to perform that job?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDawg94 View Post
    Every job I’ve ever had I agreed to terms before I accepted. At any point during my employment if I didn’t like the conditions, policies, people or compensation I was free to leave. Nobody ever forced me to do anything against my will. That’s what’s great about this country, if you don’t like the job you are free to leave at anytime and find somewhere else to be. Seems very simple to me.
    The players knew what they were getting into and how they would be compensated before they ever signed the LOI. If they aren’t satisfied it’s on them for accepting the deal to start with.

wouldn’t title 9 make it illegal unless all female athletes on scholarship were also compensated?
    That's why unions exist. Do you not understand history?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Are you a Dawg61 alter, by chance, Dan?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Are you a Dawg61 alter, by chance, Dan?
    I’ve been thinking the exact same thing.

vCash
    There are millions who would jump at the chance to be an engineer / name your 6 figure job but who's actually qualified and capable to perform that job?
    Football players have the opportunity to earn a degree for those jobs for free

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Those millions have a better chance of being an engineer than being a millionaire athlete due to EEO and affirmative action. When will see that in sports?

vCash
    Be an engineer for free? You need to work on your reading comprehension.

vCash
    Not for unions. What they were original formed for was great. They are killing our county now. Can’t you see the present.

vCash
    Unions are for people with jobs! College football players are NOT workers, they are college students who elect to play a sport at the college for the benefit of getting their education (and all living expenses) for free. By your logic, HS football players should be demanding a cut of anything their HS brings in from their games. Heck, HS players aren't getting ANY financial benefits from playing which is a way worse situation than college players have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Unions are for people with jobs! College football players are NOT workers, they are college students who elect to play a sport at the college for the benefit of getting their education (and all living expenses) for free. By your logic, HS football players should be demanding a cut of anything their HS brings in from their games. Heck, HS players aren't getting ANY financial benefits from playing which is a way worse situation than college players have.
    This, exactly. Where do you draw the line? High school, junior high? What about the cheerleaders, the band, the ball boys, the managers and anyone involved, shouldn't they get a cut too? I guess everyone's entitled these days. smh.

vCash
    Holy shit is all I can say. This thread is full of horrendous takes. Tote billionaires' water more why don't ya. Jesus Christ.

I swear some of you would have been against child labor laws. Hell you probably are. The anti-union rhetoric is pathetic. Without the players there is no product. Period. They are asking for half. Look at what professional sports leagues with shit unions get... yet these kids are the bad guys for wanting to be fairly compensated???

Seriously look in the mirror and ask yourself the question: "Will I ever be in the top 0.1% of wealth in this country?" When you realize that answer is "No." Then ask, "Why am i so worried about their gigantic stack slightly shrinking?". Then when you think to yourself its not right, ask yourself do you want to live in a democracy. When you say yes, ask yourself who you should care about more in a democracy... the 0.1% or 99.9%?

Its like you people would rather we have lost in 1776 and still operate under Monarchy's. The way you defend tbe rich who exploit the labor of the poor is just inherently un-American.
    Are you opposed to treating them as employees giving each player a salary based on their worth and not providing any benefits for free?

So for instance K Hill gets 250k a year/salary

but out of that he has to pay his tuition, room and board, tutor fees, facility memberships, all of his meals etc?

So basically just treat them as if they were an actual employee.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Are you opposed to treating them as employees giving each player a salary based on their worth and not providing any benefits for free?

but out of that he has to pay his tuition, room and board, tutor fees, facility memberships, all of his meals etc?

Don't forget taxes.

And it would be the end of non-revenue sports since football is funding that women's volleyball team.

vCash
    Holy shit is all I can say. This thread is full of horrendous takes. Tote billionaires' water more why don't ya. Jesus Christ.
    Another ?useful idiot? toting Saul Alinsky?s water.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post

But then they'd have to pay taxes and it would by be fair**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Don't forget taxes.

And it would be the end of non-revenue sports since football is funding that women's volleyball team.
    Yep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    College football make the money they do because of a built in loyal fanbase of alumni and sidewalk fans. That fanbase would still be there no matter who the players are.
    Thats my point on the fallacy. These particular players think the fans are there for them when the fans are actually there for the school colors.

When the NFL played with replacements in 1987 the fans did not like it but did not stop watching.

In college football, most people would not like an Egg Bowl less if the game were just JA, Madison Central, Brandon and MRA all stars, it's still an egg bowl. People would just write off that 5-stars are heading to the XFL, 4-stars to Canada, and 1-in-5 "3-stars" played in college. It would be like college baseball and we would still love it.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 08-04-2020 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This, exactly. Where do you draw the line? High school, junior high? What about the cheerleaders, the band, the ball boys, the managers and anyone involved, shouldn't they get a cut too? I guess everyone's entitled these days. smh.
    True, true. Pandoras box is opened.

The other thing is so they want to get paid so then they have to pay the coaches and school for using the million dollar facilities while they are at it. If they get paid then they can also pay their tuition and other stuff while they are at it.

Richard Cross made the point the other day using Stamford as example and their benefit was around 800K to play football at Stamford. And that is getting out of school with a degree from Stamford with no school debt. I'd say that is getting paid.

I say let them go the NFL and see how hard it is if they want to make money.

To much entitlement and victim mentality running wild in our society.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    True, true. Pandoras box is opened.

The other thing is so they want to get paid so then they have to pay the coaches and school for using the million dollar facilities while they are at it. If they get paid then they can also pay their tuition and other stuff while they are at it.

Richard Cross made the point the other day using Stamford as example and their benefit was around 800K to play football at Stamford. And that is getting out of school with a degree from Stamford with no school debt. I'd say that is getting paid.

I say let them go the NFL and see how hard it is if they want to make money.

To much entitlement and victim mentality running wild in our society.
    Exactly.

vCash
    If this were to ever be allowed the size of the industry would shrink. Donors would bail like crazy.

vCash
    This might be a good thing. Just let all the guys go who want to get paid and get the kids that really want to play college football. Watch D2 or D3 games sometimes and you'll see kids playing hard every play and just enjoying the game, it's refreshing.