Thread: Famous Maroon Band -- marching through uncertainty -- from SI.com

vCash

Famous Maroon Band -- marching through uncertainty -- from SI.com

Joel Coleman's article: Famous Maroon Band marching on through the uncertainty

https://www.si.com/college/mississip...tball/fmb-8120

vCash
    Link isn't working for me.

vCash
    Not having band camp would not be a bad thing to me. That was the worst part of band. I doubt that they have the full band for games. Maybe a smaller group if that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Not having band camp would not be a bad thing to me. That was the worst part of band. I doubt that they have the full band for games. Maybe a smaller group if that.
    If they have a live band, it'll likely be a pep band, similar in size to what they do for basketball.

Band camp was always miserable for drummers because of how inefficient and slow it felt. Drum camp was always the week before, and we worked our asses off, only to get band camp and have to watch the directors futilely try to teach a bunch of mooks how to march and play their instruments at the same time, lol....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    If they have a live band, it'll likely be a pep band, similar in size to what they do for basketball.

Band camp was always miserable for drummers because of how inefficient and slow it felt. Drum camp was always the week before, and we worked our asses off, only to get band camp and have to watch the directors futilely try to teach a bunch of mooks how to march and play their instruments at the same time, lol....
    You sound like my son - he leaves for drum camp at VSU on Tuesday.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

The woodwinds were the worst at marching. DCI has the right idea by just giving them flags. I'm pretty sure most of them have no idea how to read a map. The flute players were useful to me- but for extracurricular reasons.

vCash

I only did FMB for a year. After coming from a competitive high school and marching DCI three seasons, it just wan't the same. The one band camp I did at State felt more like a summer camp from middle school rather than busting butt to learn and drill. Made me miss Everydays from DCI for sure.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iPat09 View Post
    I only did FMB for a year. After coming from a competitive high school and marching DCI three seasons, it just wan't the same. The one band camp I did at State felt more like a summer camp from middle school rather than busting butt to learn and drill. Made me miss Everydays from DCI for sure.
    I remember Phantom Regiment staying at my high school when DCI finals were in Jackson. It looked miserable to me. I can't live out of the back of a Sysco truck while sleeping on a high school gym floor.

DCI is a totally different band animal. All I wanted to do was go to football games and get paid to do it and go to bowl games. DCI was not for me.

vCash
    Same here. Trumpet capt at Long Beach then JCJC Maroon Typhoon. I wanted no part of band at State. I was done.

vCash

If they using Priority position to rather you get a ticket or not are the faculty tickets going to be available? They don't have to be a member of the bulldog club to buy thier tickets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I remember Phantom Regiment staying at my high school when DCI finals were in Jackson. It looked miserable to me. I can't live out of the back of a Sysco truck while sleeping on a high school gym floor.

DCI is a totally different band animal. All I wanted to do was go to football games and get paid to do it and go to bowl games. DCI was not for me.
    From what I have heard, Phantom is one of the more hardcore groups out there. They apparently do Blue Star drill every single day of the season. Everyone lines up on the goal line with horns in playing position, march forward at an 8 to 5 to the 5 yard line, then backwards to the goal line. Then to the 10, and back, the 15 and back, and so on until you go the length of the field. I've had to do it once, maybe twice. **** that.

I marched Memphis Sound for 3 years and I contribute it to how I am today when it comes to work ethic, leadership, organization, etc. Some of the best memories of my life come from those summers spent on tour and I still have friends that I talk with to this day. Yeah it was hard work, but if you like to perform, it's worth it.

I was too young when the finals were here in Jackson. I try to make it to the show in Hattiesburg each year, but the entire summer tour was cancelled this year thanks to Covid.

What high school did you go to? You can DM if need be. I've heard Cavaliers had to stay in Canton.

Also, doing a summer of drum corps is THE best workout/diet program in existence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Same here. Trumpet capt at Long Beach then JCJC Maroon Typhoon. I wanted no part of band at State. I was done.
    My first State game and first show on the field, I remember looking in the crowd for some reason and noticing hardly anyone was paying attention. That's when I knew I was done. Btw, I played Trumpet as well but never made it to section leader. I wasn't the greatest player, but I could out march most ha. Ridgeland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You sound like my son - he leaves for drum camp at VSU on Tuesday.
    Nice, lol.

What drum does he play?

vCash
    Nice, lol.

What drum does he play?
    Snare - he’s Battery Captain as a Sophomore. Eats, sleeps, and breaths percussion.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    From what I have heard, Phantom is one of the more hardcore groups out there. They apparently do Blue Star drill every single day of the season. Everyone lines up on the goal line with horns in playing position, march forward at an 8 to 5 to the 5 yard line, then backwards to the goal line. Then to the 10, and back, the 15 and back, and so on until you go the length of the field. I've had to do it once, maybe twice. **** that.

I marched Memphis Sound for 3 years and I contribute it to how I am today when it comes to work ethic, leadership, organization, etc. Some of the best memories of my life come from those summers spent on tour and I still have friends that I talk with to this day. Yeah it was hard work, but if you like to perform, it's worth it.

I was too young when the finals were here in Jackson. I try to make it to the show in Hattiesburg each year, but the entire summer tour was cancelled this year thanks to Covid.

What high school did you go to? You can DM if need be. I've heard Cavaliers had to stay in Canton.

Also, doing a summer of drum corps is THE best workout/diet program in existence.
    Madison Central.

And the Navy SEALS would like a word with you.

vCash
    My first State game and first show on the field, I remember looking in the crowd for some reason and noticing hardly anyone was paying attention. That's when I knew I was done. Btw, I played Trumpet as well but never made it to section leader. I wasn't the greatest player, but I could out march most ha. Ridgeland.
    Lol. I was at Long Beach through junior high and 10th grade. Long Beach was one of the best programs in the state. I went to Laurel my last 2 years of high school and the band was garbage. The “golden girls” were outstanding though!!!!

I was a dubmass. I should have kept playing but got sick of it. I made Lyons band when I was in the 9th grade. I made like 4th chair of all trumpet players and was by far the youngest sitting that high. I was a knuckle head though.

vCash
    This one time, at band camp . . . oh, wait.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HeCannotGo View Post
    This one time, at band camp . . . oh, wait.
    Ha! The bus and the hotel are where things really went down. Or the drum major who will remain anonymous house where people partied at on Friday night.