Thread: SEC 10 Game Conference Only Schedule

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Keeping divisions.
    Don't like. Wish it were best 2 records

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Agree, absolutley no need to keep divisions. We should have to play Ole Miss and the other 9 games decided by a computer.

vCash
    Hot take, the SEC is an easy conference for us b/c we get 4 non-conference games. This is going to be a whole new ball game. I like it, but it's going to be a fight every week.

Banned
    vCash
    So is the Egg Bowl still on Thanksgiving?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Agree, absolutley no need to keep divisions. We should have to play Ole Miss and the other 9 games decided by a computer.
    I agree. Divisions in the SEC are stupid. Especially if Mizzou is in the East.

Hot take, the SEC is an easy conference for us b/c we get 4 non-conference games. This is going to be a whole new ball game. I like it, but it's going to be a fight every week.
    Hot take- because the SEC is so difficult it's easier for schools in other conferences to win six to eight because they don't have to play a SEC schedule. That's one thing the "more interesting schedule" people don't seem to understand. If I told you that we were playing three teams that played for or won National Titles the last ten years, another that made the playoffs (assuming we get Georgia), a team that has won the SEC East twice the past ten years (Mizzou), one of the top two college programs in Texas, and a recently solid Kentucky program- most people would find that schedule "interesting enough".

Compare that to Clemson or Oklahoma's schedule and get back to me.

As it is we need to keep going to bowls to continue to grow our program. We get actual legit exposure, we get extra practices which are crucial to player development for MSU moreso than others, we get more money, and a lot of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    So is the Egg Bowl still on Thanksgiving?
    Unknown at this point. I suspect it's either still on Thanksgiving or December 12 most likely.

vCash
    I may be in the minority but I like this setup. 10 games that will all be significant and a late September start to the season.

vCash
    So what is now considered bowl eligible ? 5 wins? 4 wins ? ..... will there even be bowl games ?
    Last edited by FISHDAWG; 07-31-2020 at 07:36 AM.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I agree that anything above 5-5 is pretty optimistic thinking. Although we could definitely beat Auburn and/or A&M, you know Kentucky and Ole Miss are penciling us in as wins, and Missouri probably thinks of us as a swing game.

Very likely to lose: @Alabama, Georgia
    Presumably very likely to lose: @LSU - though who knows with the new QB

Swing games - probable loss: Texas A&M, Auburn
    Swing games - probable win: @Ole Miss, @Kentucky - hope the new schedule lets us play Kentucky earlier before it gets really cold

Clear favorite - Missouri
    Very likely to win - Arkansas, @Vanderbilt

A lot of research shows that the primary cause of homefield advantage is referees subconsciously favoring the home crowd on very close calls, so it may be close to non-existent this year.
    I have always thought this but had no idea there was actual research done on it
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Now, the big challenge is to convince the playoff to expand. Since most conferences are dropping 2 games, expand the playoffs. Take each conference Champ from the P5, the highest ranked G5 champ, and 2 at large teams and start Dec. 26th & 27th. The Final 4 on January 1 & 2 as scheduled, and the Championship on January 11th.

Lets turn this everything on its head this crazy COVID season
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I have always thought this but had no idea there was actual research done on it
    I haven't read the research myself, but I read about it in the book Scorecasting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Who's your 6th win if the perfect scenario happens? A&M or Auburn? Or LSU?
    Auburn. This could be the year the GusBus finally gets the axe. They are rebuilding the trenches. If they havent recruited very well there- we might be able to pull that one to get a win at home.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Now, the big challenge is to convince the playoff to expand. Since most conferences are dropping 2 games, expand the playoffs. Take each conference Champ from the P5, the highest ranked G5 champ, and 2 at large teams and start Dec. 26th & 27th. The Final 4 on January 1 & 2 as scheduled, and the Championship on January 11th.

Lets turn this everything on its head this crazy COVID season
    never understood why anyone would want a G5 team in the playoff.

vCash
    I'm not gonna predict any wins or loses. I'm just gonna hold on for the ride. This could be very interesting.

vCash
    never understood why anyone would want a G5 team in the playoff.
    Because the odds are pretty strong that at least 1 of them will be undefeated or have just 1 loss. By including them, and beating them, you shut down the stupid "UCF is the real national champ" arguments.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    None of this scheduling may matter if the approach is going to be to cancel a game because of one asymptomatic positive test. Will be interesting to see the protocol and how that is handled.

vCash
    What y'all think? I'll go 4-6
    5-3

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Sixpack thread says we play Vandy at home and Georgia on the road. OM gets Ky and UT.
    We go 1-1. They go 0-2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    None of this scheduling may matter if the approach is going to be to cancel a game because of one asymptomatic positive test. Will be interesting to see the protocol and how that is handled.
    yep. Baseball is screwing up everything. The shot we had to play was small, now its becoming way less likely. chances of playing 10 games is not good, at all. It's a hope, dream, whatever you want to call it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    yep. Baseball is screwing up everything. The shot we had to play was small, now its becoming way less likely. chances of playing 10 games is not good, at all. It's a hope, dream, whatever you want to call it.
    Eh, I think we definitely get to see some college football. Too much money involved not too attempt it. It may only be two or three weeks of football but they are going to do everything possible to play some games and get that TV money. The end of September is still a ways away so they have some time to make decisions and 8 weeks is a good amount of time to learn more about the virus and safe protocols for athletes. They will be able to learn quite a bit from the mlb debacle etc.

It will be interesting to see how it works out.

I agree on the prognostications. 4-6 to 5-5. I'll just be glad for some sports regardless of what or how we look. I can see a lot of back yard tailgates with the family this year. Nothing better than getting started on the grill on a cool fall morning.

And the good news about this schedule is we should have some big games to watch in the SEC every week now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    5-3
    5-3 in a 10 game schedule?
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.