Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Atlanta Braves (abbreviated) Season Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yeah I'm afraid nothings gonna work for this year. You tried sacrificing a live chicken yet though?****
    I stick to the bucket of the Colonels best.

I'm just glad none of my friends are getting married - this would be the year that candlesticks don't make a nice gift.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I stick to the bucket of the Colonels best.

I'm just glad none of my friends are getting married - this would be the year that candlesticks don't make a nice gift.
    Same here on the chicken although i did slaughter a few for Sunday dinner when I was growing up.

Agree on the candlesticks lol!!!

vCash
    I don't know where to rank deGrom in all time rankings, but I put him #1 at the moment. He doesn't appear to be slowing down either

vCash
    He needs to do what he's doing another 10 years to reach those guys. He could be another Seaver/Ryan type, or he could flame out. Right now he's the best active player - hard to argue against it. But, those greats did it a lot longer.
    Agreed. To reach the pantheon of the immortals in baseball gotta do it for awhile. Lot of guys can't go the distance. Kerry Wood had this kinda stuff too but didn't last, and there's plenty of others on that list.

vCash
    I been doing my part - giving Jobu lots of rum and cigars, but nothing seems to be working to take the stink off 2020.
    Needs get some hats for albies bats. If anyone throws him anything but an up/in fastball with two strikes they should be run outta the league on a rail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Needs get some hats for albies bats. If anyone throws him anything but an up/in fastball with two strikes they should be run outta the league on a rail.
    Yeah Ozzie needs to say "forget you jobu I do it myself"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I was trying to think of a comparison for deGromm.

Doesn't he seem like a "Greg Maddux" but with better velocity? Or is there a better comparison?
    Maddux was fastball/changeup didn't throw a lot of breaking balls. He reminds me a lot of Kerry Wood stuff wise and also Justin Verlander but that's just my unexpert opinion.

vCash
    Maddux was fastball/changeup didn't throw a lot of breaking balls. He reminds me a lot of Kerry Wood stuff wise and also Justin Verlander but that's just my unexpert opinion.
    IMO he’s got more movement on his pitches than those guys. His cutter and two seam are what separates him with his easy gas. I think Pedro is a better comp. deGrom does throw harder

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    IMO he’s got more movement on his pitches than those guys. His cutter and two seam are what separates him with his easy gas. I think Pedro is a better comp. deGrom does throw harder
    Interesting thought. I wouldn't have thought of Pedro because of the difference in size and arm slot. The great thing about the truly immortals(like Degrom has the potential to become)is they don't really have a good comp, they're unique. Love these type discussions. I could do these all day everyday!

vCash
    Interesting thought. I wouldn't have thought of Pedro because of the difference in size and arm slot. The great thing about the truly immortals(like Degrom has the potential to become)is they don't really have a good comp, they're unique. Love these type discussions. I could do these all day everyday!
    The 90's Braves rotation is a classic example of that. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz were as different as 3 guys could be. Maddux looked like he should be selling auto parts somewhere, not working as the greatest control pitcher of our generation.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    The 90's Braves rotation is a classic example of that. Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz were as different as 3 guys could be. Maddux looked like he should be selling auto parts somewhere, not working as the greatest control pitcher of our generation.
    https://youtu.be/axkik-8oFTs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's awesome. Maddux is one of my favorites.

vCash
    You got that right. 3 greats with 3 absolutely different approaches and styles. I miss watching those 3 pitch, especially Maddux. During his prime Maddux would pitch a 2 or 3 hitter and game would be over in 2 hours. Dude just carved up hitters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's hilarious! Maddux seemed so mild mannered but cussed like a sailor and pulled some absolutely filthy pranks in the clubhouse. Funny guy!

vCash
    Have the Braves been mathematically eliminated yet?
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    I would say Maddux is the greatest control pitcher of all time. I forget the Stat but his 4 ball walk total was really low and over half were intentional walks.

vCash
    That Markakis walk off was a nice welcome back last night!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18