Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Atlanta Braves (abbreviated) Season Thread

vCash

2020 Atlanta Braves (abbreviated) Season Thread

Since there are a few Braves fans on this board, I thought we could have a thread to vent lol.

Off to a 2-3 start so far.

Bad news: our rotation behind Soroka and Fried is ass. Cole Hamels getting hurt and Felix Hernandez opting out have hurt us. Gonna have to rely on some young guys. Also, we're striking out too damn much. Just uncompetitive at-bats left and right.

Good news: It was just announced that Nick Markakis is rejoining the team. It'll be nice to have a veteran hitter that doesn't strike out often. Maybe his presence will help some of these younger guys.

Regardless, it's nice to have sports again.

vCash
    I'm not freaking out like usual this season. This season is sort of a joke to me with just 60 games, so I just plan to enjoy them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm not freaking out like usual this season. This season is sort of a joke to me with just 60 games, so I just plan to enjoy them.
    The hitting will come around. Just too much talent for it not to.

I just don't know about the pitching

vCash
    I get the feeling we're just going to have to gorilla ball people this year. Our pen isn't any better than the back part of our rotation.

vCash
    Nick Markakis decided to play. Going to Gwinnett to work his way into the lineup
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Ozunas hitting will help pay for the 1 year contract but his defense all but assures that he wont be re-signed. Hamels is pretty much a waste of 18 million.

Except for that mammoth homerun, Riley has been unimpressive at the plate although his defense is solid. Still not sure he is ready to take on a full time role next year.

Outside of the two young studs, Anthopolous has held on to many of the young guys too long with not enough production and now their value is slipping. He is going to have to open up the purse strings and find a couple of long term options at OF and SP. Dansby looks to have turned the corner offensively and next year is his age 27 season. The rest of this lineup is too solid for AA to dick around another offseason and not commit to some long term help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AmiteDog View Post
    Ozunas hitting will help pay for the 1 year contract but his defense all but assures that he wont be re-signed. Hamels is pretty much a waste of 18 million.

Except for that mammoth homerun, Riley has been unimpressive at the plate although his defense is solid. Still not sure he is ready to take on a full time role next year.

Outside of the two young studs, Anthopolous has held on to many of the young guys too long with not enough production and now their value is slipping. He is going to have to open up the purse strings and find a couple of long term options at OF and SP. Dansby looks to have turned the corner offensively and next year is his age 27 season. The rest of this lineup is too solid for AA to dick around another offseason and not commit to some long term help.
    I agree. The time to cash in on some of your prospects is soon. Either commit to them or trade them for some immediate help so we can try to win a title.

Ozuna is an outstanding option at DH with this weird season, but like you said, his defense leaves a lot to be desired. Pache is the future in CF and Acuna is in RF. Do you commit to Drew Waters in LF? If you do, you need to pick up a power bat somewhere else. I like the fact that Austin Riley is a Mississippi kid and all, but his advanced analytics suggest he isn't going to be anything magnificent. He's a sub .250 hitter who's going to hit his share of bombs but also strike out a shit ton. Lots of question marks for sure, but the good news is we have this odd season to throw guys into the fire and figure out some of those questions.

vCash
    It's been 5 games. Probably a little early to draw too many conclusions.

vCash
    I'm listening on the radio broadcast and it sounds like they're pumping the crowd noise heavy. Sounds like a real game.

vCash
    I don?t like the mental make up of this team. They seem to be front runners. Freddie is capable of carrying the team but he doesn?t seem to be back to his old self. Hopefully Markakis coming back will help. Acuna and Albies are Uber talented but they?re not gamers. Dansby seems to be the grittiest guy we have and I haven?t really been a huge dansby fan during his career.

vCash
    The strikeouts are the killers. We've been striking out in situational hitting opportunities where striking out is absolutely an outcome that simply can't happen.

And if you look at these swings from guys with 2 strikes, especially Acu?a and Riley, they are swinging for the damn fence with men in scoring position and 2 strikes. It's bad baseball

Riley and Inciarte both struck out with men on 1st and 2nd in the 2nd inning tonight. That kind of crap just can't happen at the rate it has been for us when you are a professional.

Here's a fun stat. With Freddie's homer just now we've scored 28 runs this year. Exactly half of them have come from the home run. You can't survive in baseball if 50% of your runs come from the homer.

vCash
    Tie game in the 6th. Hopefully we can keep from imploding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Tie game in the 6th. Hopefully we can keep from imploding
    Nvm. We can cancel the season now.

vCash
    YouTube TV no longer offers the regional Fox Sports channels.

I now only get the Braves when they are the featured ESPN game.

What options do I have to get the games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    YouTube TV no longer offers the regional Fox Sports channels.

I now only get the Braves when they are the featured ESPN game.

What options do I have to get the games?
    Direct TV and Hulu are about it I think. I just listen to the games on the radio.

vCash
    Dansby is on fire

vCash
    5-4 Braves

vCash
    Blue strugglin behind the plate. Def seems Braves have been on the short end of borderline strikes this series.

vCash
    Who was that dude and what did he do with AJ Minter?

vCash
    7-4. We don't have to cancel the season now.