Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has UM at any point at any time been as low as 91st in recruiting?

vCash

Has UM at any point at any time been as low as 91st in recruiting?

I am not happy about the numbers in our class or the 41st ranking but for a school that really takes pride in recruiting they are not doing very well.

vCash
    Have no idea if they've ever been lower than 91st. What I'm wondering is why they're that low? Aren't the coaches Kiffin brought in known for being really good recruiters?

vCash
    I thought DJ Durkin was supposed to be a stud recruiter. That's the way he was made out to be.

vCash
    I suspect our class will be much better than 41 when it's all said and done.

vCash
    Neal is gonna have to chow down on a bucket full of crow....as he predicted them to have a top 10 class this year, lol. Even without COVID, which has impacted everyone, that prediction was batshit, even for a "non fan" such as him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I thought DJ Durkin was supposed to be a stud recruiter. That's the way he was made out to be.
    Didn't he kill a player? Might be hurting him on the recruiting trail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Didn't he kill a player? Might be hurting him on the recruiting trail.
    Yep, and a former strength staffer here at MSU under Mullen was the strength coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Yep, and a former strength staffer here at MSU under Mullen was the strength coach.
    Yes, the player died on the strength coaches watch, his name was Rick Court and he always seemed a little nuts. I think he was the one that used log carrying and tractor tire flipping exercises in July. The player was collapsed after a workout and there was some time between that and when they called medical help, if I remember right. There were some other horrendous complaints against Durkin by his players. They suspended Durkin and then reinstated him after the public backlash. Sorry for the long winded post, I'm enjoying cocktails as I post! HAIL STATE!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    I believed Kiffin would recruit well at UM. Does anyone think Kiffin has just lost interest? We have a long way to go, and he may pull a rabbit out of his hat, but ranked 91 at the end of July? Further, perhaps the following three words are hindering him: Ole. Miss. Rebels. Spinning that is a challenge for anyone.

vCash
    OM currently is 95th. Woof

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Yes, the player died on the strength coaches watch, his name was Rick Court and he always seemed a little nuts. I think he was the one that used log carrying and tractor tire flipping exercises in July. The player was collapsed after a workout and there was some time between that and when they called medical help, if I remember right. There were some other horrendous complaints against Durkin by his players. They suspended Durkin and then reinstated him after the public backlash. Sorry for the long winded post, I'm enjoying cocktails as I post! HAIL STATE!
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with tire flipping and light pole carrying.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    I believed Kiffin would recruit well at UM. Does anyone think Kiffin has just lost interest? We have a long way to go, and he may pull a rabbit out of his hat, but ranked 91 at the end of July? Further, perhaps the following three words are hindering him: Ole. Miss. Rebels. Spinning that is a challenge for anyone.
    Kiffin has always been vastly overrated as a recruiting head coach. Gifted the one good class he signed at Tennessee, steadily regressed through four cycles at USC that should recruit top 10 classes in its sleep. He may be in over his head with the uphill battle recruiting at OM currently is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with tire flipping and light pole carrying.
    I suppose the point was doing that in July. I think it happend at Maryland, but the University of Maryland (located inside the Beltway), is just as hot and humid as Mississippi is in July.

In fact, the average temp for July this year at Washington/National has been 84.0 with 25 of 28 days above 90. In Huntsville, the average has been 81.2 (a degree or so above normal). Huntsville should be pretty near the average for most of north Mississippi.

vCash
    The Ole Miss formula is to take the actual ranking and multiply by 1000 and divide by $10000 which gives you an average ranking of 9.1.
    You see, all is well on the plantation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I suspect our class will be much better than 41 when it's all said and done.
    I don't think we will end up top 30. But 30-35 ish. In state is bad ranking wise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I don't think we will end up top 30. But 30-35 ish. In state is bad ranking wise.
    Agree.. the talent top to bottom in Miss is for sure down this year .. and all most all of the top players are WR / athletes.. not the normal DL and defensive side of the ball talent .. even the juco talent this year seems to be down
    next year will be different

What is most encouraging is the amount of talent we have as of today from out of state.. if we keep that up and do what we normally do in years where the talent is better in Mississippi we might see some rankings in uncharted waters ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Kiffin has always been vastly overrated as a recruiting head coach. Gifted the one good class he signed at Tennessee, steadily regressed through four cycles at USC that should recruit top 10 classes in its sleep. He may be in over his head with the uphill battle recruiting at OM currently is.
    I think a lot of his reputation is because Coach O was on his staff. C-USA recruiting rankings are pretty hit or miss and probably fairly inaccurate because the vast majority of those players are all going to be three stars or worse.

If he keeps recruiting like this his ass will be gone before Arch Manning's class comes up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Agree.. the talent top to bottom in Miss is for sure down this year .. and all most all of the top players are WR / athletes.. not the normal DL and defensive side of the ball talent .. even the juco talent this year seems to be down
    next year will be different

What is most encouraging is the amount of talent we have as of today from out of state.. if we keep that up and do what we normally do in years where the talent is better in Mississippi we might see some rankings in uncharted waters ...
    I like that we're filling needs from a positional standpoint better than we did under Dan.

I'd rather have a top 32 class with all of our needs met in some form or fashion than a top 25 class with gaps in it that come back to haunt us in three years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Kiffin had Ed Orgeron at Tennessee and at first at USC before Ole Miss hired him away. Orgeron was named national recruiter of the year at USC, he was doing the recruiting that Kiffen gets credit for.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Kiffin had Ed Orgeron at Tennessee and at first at USC before Ole Miss hired him away. Orgeron was named national recruiter of the year at USC, he was doing the recruiting that Kiffen gets credit for.
    I think Ole Miss hired Orgeron from Pete Carroll, because Ed O became interim USC coach after Kiffin fired at USC( at the airport)....but check me on that.

Doing the 3 degrees of Bacon sort of..... Ole Miss now has as head coach the guy that USC fired on the tarmac during the season, but Ole Miss fired their coach O who actually took over for Kiffin that season.
    Good times Ole Miss. Good times coming indeed.